Topics

Windows 10 Question

g user

I am Jaws 2018 user. I got new PC with windows 10 pro and Office 2016.
My old PC has windows 7 and office 2010.

How can I make this new PC to work like my old PC like start menu,
desktop, file explorer,...?

Thanks

You can't, at least not in any meaningful and comprehensive way.   You are far better off spending your time and energy to learn the Windows 10 user interface which is really not all that much different from earlier versions of Windows in many respects.

The above being said, Classic Shell is still functioning under Windows 10.  Since it is no longer in active development it is almost certain that it will eventually break, which is why I do not recommend using it.  I also just think it's a bad idea trying to make one operating system user interface "pretend" to be that of another because if you ever have to use another Windows 10 computer, and you will, you will be lost.

I also strongly suggest that most screen reader users use desktop shortcuts as their primary interface for the programs they use most and use the built-in Cortana search (even if her personal digital assistant feature is disabled) by hitting Windows Key and typing in the name of the program or keywords for the setting or partial name of a document, etc., you're looking for and it's likely to show up at or near the top of the search results list.

There are some slight changes regarding how desktop shortcuts are created for built-in universal apps.  It's not difficult.  See:

File Explorer is virtually identical to Windows Explorer of Windows 7 unless you've customized it.  If you wish to customize it under Windows 10, see:

I would also strongly suggest you join the Windows 10 for Screen Reader User's group.  Send an e-mail to win10+help@win10.groups.io to get all the details.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

g user

Thank you I was going a little crazy:

Trying to use Operating system-MS windows 10 with Office 2016;however,
Jaws is not navigating like the computer I am used to which is Office
windows 7 with office 2010.Any suggestions to change the new office
and windows to be more user friendly?

The above being said, Classic Shell ( http://classicshell.net/ ) is still
[...]

* Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10 (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOejZOVWlyRVBYYzg
)

File Explorer is virtually identical to Windows Explorer of Windows 7 unless
you've customized it.  If you wish to customize it under Windows 10, see:

* Changing Your Folder View in File Explorer Using a Screen Reader (
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnObDAzdHBmeTR2c3c
)

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

   The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the
right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Just like Windows 7 and Windows 10 Office 2010 and Office 2016 have differences and there are no two ways about it, you just have to learn to deal with how you do things in Office 2016. I can't even remember, but did Office 2010 still have menus or did it already have ribbons?

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 11:42 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
did Office 2010 still have menus or did it already have ribbons?
Ribbons.  I believe they were introduced all the way back at Office 2007.  The ribbon interface was a big part of Windows 7 itself, too.

I just finished installing Office 2016 on three machines this evening, all of which already had Office 2010, so I can use either at this point.  But given that I doubt support will go on much longer for Office 2010 I wanted to get the last fully installable version, as opposed to the Office 365 subscription service, on while one can get keys for it for a song on eBay out of the EU and the Far East.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

David Bailes

Hi Brian,
just to point out that when you apply a view to folders of this type, there is no restriction that the view is only applied to subfolders. It is applied to all folders of that type anywhere is the folder hierarchy.

David.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 12:36 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Van Lant, Robin

I just switched to Office 2016 and feel your pain. The key thing to change is to go into Word and Excel and tell it not to load the start screen. In Word, this is found under File, Options, General. That will make the feel when you first open Word feel like Office 2010.

Also, when you go to "save" documents, use F12 instead of Control S. This will take you to a familiar save as dialog box rather than the Backstage view" that is very cluttered.

The other area I find confusing is trying to go to recently opened documents, which I do a lot at work. Rather than the menu based format from Office 2010, you have to tab to recent documents, then hit space to activate it then tab once more into a vertical list of recent documents.

Those are the big differences for me so far.

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the
SUBJECT line.

You can disable the backstage as well, but F12 is a good option and I use it all the time.
Also, you may like it better if you put Excel and Word if that is what you mostly use on the task bar, make sure you know in what position it is in, e.g. third from the left and fourth from the left, then use Alt+Windows Key+3 and Alt+Windows Key+4 respectively to bring up the jump list which contains your recent documents.