Acronis True Image backup software

Richard Turner

Has anyone used Acronis True Image with Jaws?
I just read PC Magazine's review of backup software and Acronis got the top marks. Of course, nothing was said about accessibility.

Thanks,
Richard

"The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter."

John Covici

Last time I tried it, it was completely inaccessible, I think they use
some way to draw the screen which makes it that way, but you can
always do their free trial and see what happens.

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 20:01:59 -0400,
Richard Turner wrote:

Has anyone used Acronis True Image with Jaws?
I just read PC Magazine's review of backup software and Acronis got the top marks. Of course, nothing was said about accessibility.

Thanks,
Richard

"The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter."

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Richard Turner

Hi John,
No, it doesn't appear to be any more accessible than when you tried it.
I've sent a note to their customer service recommending that they check with Microsoft on how to meet the accessibility standards and the "VFO Group" to see about hiring them to script it.

I hope that accomplishes something, but I do not plan to hold my breath.

Richard Turner wrote:

Has anyone used Acronis True Image with Jaws?
I just read PC Magazine's review of backup software and Acronis got the top marks. Of course, nothing was said about accessibility.

Thanks,
Richard

"The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter."

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Gerald Levy

The bottom line is that only a few image backup programs are accessible with JAWS, and even then, only the procedure for creating a backup image on an external hard drive is accessible. The procedure for restoring the backup image thusly created, , however, is totally inaccessible because there is no speech during the restoration procedure, which usually involves creating a rescue CD whose interface is inaccessible with any screen reader. Image for Windows is supposedly the most accessible image backup program, and somebody on another list devised instructions for creating a talking PE rescue disk to use with it, but he died last year, and nobody else has been able to figure out how to get this talking PE disk to work on a consistent basis. To my knowledge, there is really no way to restore a backup image from True Image or any other backup image program without sighted help unless you are a very advanced techie.

Gerald

Richard Turner wrote:

Has anyone used Acronis True Image with Jaws?
I just read PC Magazine's review of backup software and Acronis got the top marks. Of course, nothing was said about accessibility.

Thanks,
Richard

"The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter."

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Richard Turner

I am actually looking for a program that will back up files/folders incrementally and not necessarily an entire image, though I would do one image I'm sure. I'm mostly concerned with my data. I have all the software backed up and would rather install it on a new machine, than simply restore from an image with any leftover issues from the previous drive.
But, I also want to be able to do this independently.
Right now, I manually copy key files/folders. Doable, but a true time-suck.
Richard

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett

[Sent from my little hand-held computer]

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Turner

Richard Turner wrote:

Has anyone used Acronis True Image with Jaws?
I just read PC Magazine's review of backup software and Acronis got the top marks.  Of course, nothing was said about accessibility.

Thanks,
Richard

"The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world quieter."

Your life is like a penny.  You're going to lose it.  The question is:
How do
you spend it?

       John Covici wb2una
       covici@...

Jason White

Can you use System Image (included in Windows) to create the backup, then use a Windows installation drive with Microsoft Narrator to restore it?

I would expect System Image to be accessible with JAWS. There's also a command line version, apparently, called wbadmin. The restoration process may be possible with a Windows installer and Microsoft Narrator.

Richard Turner wrote:

> Has anyone used Acronis True Image with Jaws?
> I just read PC Magazine's review of backup software and Acronis got the
> top marks. Of course, nothing was said about accessibility.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>

> "The secret is not to make your music louder, but to make the world
> quieter."
> - Mitch Albom from The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto, page 1

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com