Using JAWS with Simian

Craig Cooper

Greetings,
I just started a new job at a radio station that uses Simian broadcast software.  JAWS will read most of the events on the log (songs, sweepers, commercials, etc.)  However, I am struggling with how to interact with the program, using the keyboard.  If I need to replace a song or make some other change to the on-air log, the keyboard won't do it.  The other DJs use the mouse to make changes.  The left mouse button on the keyboard does nothing.  When I arrow down, the events are highlighted, but hitting enter or pressing the spacebar does nothing.  The Applications key does nothing, as well.  If anybody has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.  Thank you very much.  Craig

John Covici

I don't know this software, but have you tried routing jaws to pc and
pushing the left mouse button (/ key on the numpad)?

Also, if this is your job, maybe use Aira.

On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 18:35:24 -0400,
Craig Cooper wrote:

Greetings,
I just started a new job at a radio station that uses Simian broadcast software. JAWS will read most of the events on the log (songs, sweepers, commercials, etc.) However, I am struggling with how to interact with the program, using
the keyboard. If I need to replace a song or make some other change to the on-air log, the keyboard won't do it. The other DJs use the mouse to make changes. The left mouse button on the keyboard does nothing. When I arrow down, the
events are highlighted, but hitting enter or pressing the spacebar does nothing. The Applications key does nothing, as well. If anybody has any suggestions, they would be appreciated. Thank you very much. Craig

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

This might be a situation where calling Jaws support and letting them connect via Tandem could do some good.

Craig Cooper wrote:

Greetings,
I just started a new job at a radio station that uses Simian broadcast software. JAWS will read most of the events on the log (songs, sweepers, commercials, etc.) However, I am struggling with how to interact with the program, using
the keyboard. If I need to replace a song or make some other change to the on-air log, the keyboard won't do it. The other DJs use the mouse to make changes. The left mouse button on the keyboard does nothing. When I arrow down, the
events are highlighted, but hitting enter or pressing the spacebar does nothing. The Applications key does nothing, as well. If anybody has any suggestions, they would be appreciated. Thank you very much. Craig

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Michael Mote

Hi Craig.  I used this software at my radio job that I had seveerl years ago.  I was able to make changes to the music log.  I would like to help you with this project.  I could Tandem in with you at some point and see if we can figure out what’s going on.

If I remember correctly, if you make a change, you have to refresh the screen so that the change will take affect.  I can ask a friend of mine who is still in the radio and still uses that software about this, but I believe that is still true.