Topics

Backup

Richard Turner

Greetings,
I vaguely remember discussion about backup software for Windows 10, perhaps Terabyte Unlimited Image for Windows?
I tried exploring their web site and keep ending up with file downloads, but which version is accessible? Or, is there another recommended backup package that is accessible? The one I have came with an external drive from Western Digital and is not very accessible.
Thanks for any help,
Richard

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett

[Sent from my little hand-held computer]

Steve Matzura

Yes, IFW is what you want. There are only two versions for Windows--GUI and CUI. Unless you like command-line-interface-driven things, go for the GUI , which is perfectly accessible. When you install it, go into Settings and enable the accessible checkboxes option. The only screen in the whole system where behavior is a little odd is in the summary screen of twenty-two checkable options. The checkboxes don't show up as checkboxes; rather, an X appears next to each checked option, and you have to use your screenreader's own cursor to read its presence or absence. Try it for a month, then you'll see.

On 8/8/2018 9:05 AM, Richard Turner wrote:
Greetings,
I vaguely remember discussion about backup software for Windows 10, perhaps Terabyte Unlimited Image for Windows?
I tried exploring their web site and keep ending up with file downloads, but which version is accessible? Or, is there another recommended backup package that is accessible? The one I have came with an external drive from Western Digital and is not very accessible.
Thanks for any help,
Richard

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett

Richard Turner

Thanks Steve,

Now, to reveal my true level of ignorance, what is Point In Time Technology and do I want File Lock or VSS.

Richard

[...]

Richard,

          I have pretty much given up on making assertions about accessibility since things change such that something that had been entirely accessible might become less so to just plain "not."  That being said, if you're trying to make full system image backups and/or separate user data backups for a home system I'd definitely give EaseUS To Do Backup Free a whirl just to see whether it's accessible.

          It's what I use not because it's the best (as in most sophisticated and allows the most configuration) backup software out there but because of the ease of use of its interface.  My partner is, how shall I put it, not particularly technically inclined and he can run a routine backup with it because once you set it up it's just a "click and run" affair.

           In doing a quick whirl around the main program page with NVDA just now I can easily land on the Recovery, Backup, and Advanced buttons.  I cannot seem to get over to the main column of setup buttons on the left side, but I'm not great with any of the newer navigation methods like Object Navigation, so these may be accessible via a method I don't normally use or could be entirely inaccessible.  In the event that they are entirely inaccessible, if you have assistance to set up your backup schemes you can definitely run them without any assistance, as that pane allows accessibility to all buttons.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Steve Matzura

Excellent question. VSS is Microsoft's own volume-shadowing driver and technology. Here's the Terabyte Unlimited knowledgebase article about point-in-time technology and strategies. https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=352

On 8/8/2018 10:31 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

John Doering

I use Macrium Reflect to back up my home computer.  I like that with it’s free version you can do disc cloning.  It is also pretty accessible using JAWS.  You do need to use the JAWS cursor to access some functions, but it it works very well.

HTH,

John Doering

Administrative Pricing Asst

p. 4147783040  t. 800-642-8778

[...]

Gerald Levy

I also use Macrium Reflect to periodically create image backups of my computer.  But you would still need tech-savvy sighted help to restore the image from the backup external hard drive because the rescue disk is totally inaccessible with JAWS.

Gerald

[...]

John Covici

I use the paid version of the software, it will backup incrementally
so you can restore to a previous date/time and you do get support by
Email for a year.

On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:32:04 -0400,
John Doering wrote:

[1 <text/plain; utf-8 (base64)>]
[2 <text/html; utf-8 (base64)>]
[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

John Covici

Actuallyk, if you have a recovery disk, you do the restore from
windows and it boots from the recovery disk and does its thing without
intervention.

On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 08:38:08 -0400,
Gerald Levy wrote:

[1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]

[...]

Not true. You can't just shove the Macrium rescue disk into your DVD drive, and bang, zoom, it automatically restores your computer from the external hard drive without any intervention. You have to initiate the restoration procedure, which requires sight because there is no speech available when the rescue disk is loaded.

Gerald

[...]

I love Macrium Reflect, but I stopped using it because its interface is insanely complicated and I needed something "simpler" for other members of the household.

Several other backup programs, and free ones, will do disc clones, but disc clones (unless you have a stash of plug-n-play hard drives lying around for the machine you're backing up) are not the best way to back up a computer, particularly over time.  Hence the reason that backup software exists and that (depending on your software and whether you've paid or not) differential and incremental backup types are supported.  EaseUS To Do Backup includes a disc clone function and I think that AOMEI Backupper does, too.  I haven't seen a backup tool that doesn't have a disc cloning feature in a while, but I'm sure they exist.

With Macrium Reflect you do have the option to install the full recovery tool (Windows PE environment) on your PC so that you do not need a separate recovery disc.  This will only work, of course, if the reason for your recovery is something other than a disc drive failure.  I also have no idea whether it would be any more accessible than what runs from an actual separate recovery disc, and I strongly suspect it would not be.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Jonas Voll

Can you not run your Macrium rescue disk In Windows PE?

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in
the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting
moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@...

and
'spam@...'

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Jonas Voll wrote:
Can you not run your Macrium rescue disk In Windows PE?
My understanding is that you do run the Macrium Rescue under Windows PE, but it's been so long I could be mistaken.

Here are some quotes from various support sites describing how Macrium Reflect recovery works that seem to support my supposition:

For system images that contain boot data, the restoration algorithm will automatically reboot the system, launching Windows PE in its place, restoring the image and then rebooting as normal. In this tutorial, both methods will be covered.

System images of, for example, the C drive, contain operating system files so it is not possible to restore files in real time because they will be in use by the operating system. To resolve this Macrium Reflect boots Windows PE, a cut down version of Windows. It then restores the file system before rebooting again and loading the restored Windows OS. Although this sounds complex, it really is very simple to perform.

If the restore includes system partitions, the computer boots into a memory-resident Windows PE environment before restoring the system partitions and restarting to the restored system state.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Jonas Voll

Ok, if you can run it in PE, you may not need site to use the software, just depends if the softwear will read buttons and be accessabel!

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM, Jonas Voll wrote:
Can you not run your Macrium rescue disk In Windows PE?
I really don't understand this question.  I just stated that the Reflect Recovery software runs under Windows PE or, if you prefer, in Windows PE, which is a skeleton version of Windows that contains a few central features of the OS, not near to a full version of Windows.

The whole point of system image recovery is to restore a previously taken full image of a functional system to a drive that, for whatever reason except physical failure, has become corrupted.

You have to have some sort of OS running, and in the case of Macrium Reflect that OS is Windows PE.   For most Windows backup and recovery suites it's Windows PE, and generally run from either a bootable USB device or CD/DVD.  Windows PE is what's running the actual recovery software that takes the previously saved image and restores it to the drive.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Jonas Voll

It may not been this post, but someone on the list say “to use recovery disk you need sited help”!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

What I have done is initiate the restore procedure from windows and if
its the system partition it will say it haas to do the restore with
the cd, and at that point instead of hitting ok, you boot with the cd
and it just works -- I have definitely done this.

-----Original Message----- From: John Covici

[...]

I don't think so. the Macrium rescue disk boots into Linix. Besides, I don't think there is any way to modify it once it is created by Macrium Reflect.

Gerald

[...]

Linix has a portable OS with speech!!

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

[...]

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual
or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution
or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in
error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies
of this message from your computer system.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 01:20 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:
the Macrium rescue disk boots into Linix.
No, it most certainly does not, at least not in any default installation for Windows I've ever seen or recovery I've ever done.   In fact, as part of setting up Macrium for the first time, you have to download Windows PE if you don't already have it in order to make the recovery disc.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill