From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jed Barton
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 2:37 PM
To: main <main@jfw.groups.io>
Subject: jfw 2018 and functions keys

Hey guys,

OK, i have this new del laptop. So i have never used the keyboard on the laptop until now. so i am runninginto kind of a major problem.
My function keys seem to be doing different things. For instance f1 seems to mute speech. When i hit f1, it mutes speech, and they aren't behaving normally. Any idea what could be wrong? This is a del laptop.

Thanks,
Jed

Jed,

           The exact model number would help.   My guess is that your machine, like most laptops these days, defines the function key row as "smart keys" or similar that makes them do things like increase/decrease screen brightness, volume, or mute, etc.  Typically in this case if you hold the Fn key while hitting the corresponding function key it should behave like it used to in the past.  Trying Fn+actual function key for the JAWS commands, and seeing if that works, is an easy way to confirm whether or not "smart keys" is active.

           This feature can be turned off.  Some brands require this to be done in UEFI/BIOS before Windows boots while others have built-in utilities to do it.  I think that Dell is one of the latter.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

david

hello;
to get your function keys back to normal behavior,
press, FNKey+escape-key.
so, hold down the function key, right beside the ctrl key on left hand side,
now press the escape key.
this will set the function keys back to normal.

The impossible is the untried, Never under estimate the power of a dream.