Topics

Severe JAWS stuttering

Don Mauck

Sorry for the cross post. I’ve not seen any one on either list state this as an issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the same problem. The JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can’t complete any task. The speech will get so bad that you think that JAWS has just crashed. It also obviously affects scanning messages, documents and even just reading items off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I’m not ruling that out either. The interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it has gotten much better, however, that’s not the kind of fix I want. I’m really interested in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth using the latest JaWS2018, but I’ve seen this happening for a while and just thought it was my Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried different versions of JAWS going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.

Laura Richardson

I’m having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.  Please let me know if you find out what the issue is …… Windows 10 or Jaws.

Laura

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Mauck
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:25 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group <JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Severe JAWS stuttering

Sorry for the cross post. I’ve not seen any one on either list state this as an issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the same problem. The JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can’t complete any task. The speech will get so bad that you think that JAWS has just crashed. It also obviously affects scanning messages, documents and even just reading items off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I’m not ruling that out either. The interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it has gotten much better, however, that’s not the kind of fix I want. I’m really interested in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth using the latest JaWS2018, but I’ve seen this happening for a while and just thought it was my Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried different versions of JAWS going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.

Dan Longmore

Hi,

I use a Dell laptop and don’t have this issue .  However I have found that Dell and HP are famous for having lots of proprittary software installed and running in background. Lots of this also starts with Windows.  Not saying this cause but look at your start up programs and examine how many Dell programs are running.  Some of these, especially at start up, can conflict with JAWS and cause stuttering.  I have worked to uninstall only those that I deem essential which are  very few.   Also, if a program does not need to run at start up I eliminate from start up sequence.  Hope this helps , I know from experience, these kinds of issues are hard to find and annoying. Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:16 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; 'JAWS Private Beta Group' <JAWSBETA@...>
Subject: Re: Severe JAWS stuttering

I’m having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.  Please let me know if you find out what the issue is …… Windows 10 or Jaws.

Laura

Don Mauck

Do you have a Braille display? If so, try disconnecting it and run for a while. I’m keep track of this.

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:16 PM

Laura

Bill White

Hi, Laura. It’s probably a bit of one thing, and a bit of another. First, if you’re not updated to the latest build, if you have Windows 10, you’ll experience more problems.

Second, there are some settings in your sound card that might need changing.

Third, as has been written here before, you may need to update sound card drivers.

If you want help, you can always call me at:

714-835-6295

I hope I may be able to help you.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Laura Richardson
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:16 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io; 'JAWS Private Beta Group'

Laura

Laura Richardson

I don’t have a brail display ……

Laura

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 5:38 PM

Do you have a Braille display? If so, try disconnecting it and run for a while. I’m keep track of this.

Laura

netbat66

the problem is the voice synthisizer voices share the same on board computer c p u as all the other running programs. especially programs like that are continuely accessing the drive, like antivirus and malware bytes, listening to music or you tube etc.
the c p u will pause the sound card voice a few mili seconds so it can do something else. then turn the sound card back on and continue from where it left off.
you won't notice this if your c p u is fast enough.
you might be able to stop the stuttering if you use a dedicated sound card, not a u s b headphone. which still uses the c p u to process the sound.
they have there own sound processor to take the processing load off the computer c p u so it can do other chores

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io ; 'JAWS Private Beta Group'

I’m having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18. Please let me know if you find out what the issue is …… Windows 10 or Jaws.

Laura

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Laura,

I had a stuttering problem with Windows 10 & Jaws and below is how I fixed it.  I don't think this is your and the others' problem, but it'll only take a minute to check it out.

How I fixed it:
1. Go to the control panel, & press enter on, Ease of Access Center.

2. Tab to, Make the computer easier to see, link & press enter.

3. Tab to, Set the thickness of the blinking cursor combobox,  It was at 3, but I changed it to 1, & this solved the stuttering problem.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:28 PM

Laura

Laura

Cristóbal

That and you can do other things like disabling all the pretty animations and dstuff that take constant PC resources.

As someone else suggested though, it may also be worth it to get a separate sound card too.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:22 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Hi Laura,

I had a stuttering problem with Windows 10 & Jaws and below is how I fixed it.  I don't think this is your and the others' problem, but it'll only take a minute to check it out.

How I fixed it:

3. Tab to, Set the thickness of the blinking cursor combobox,  It was at 3, but I changed it to 1, & this solved the stuttering problem.

Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

Laura

Laura

Mario

I have a similar issue with JAWS severely stuttering, and the computer
is a custom built machine that my dad had built for me to use when I
would go into his office. it does have a second (PCI) sound card, and in
tinkering to figure out what I can do to stop the stuttering, I updated
the drivers but no improvement occurred. then I tried turning off the
noise cancellation and audio enhancements of the sound card resulting
with little improvement but was still too much stuttering to deal with.
then I discovered that when I unloaded JAWS and loaded NVDA, the
stuttering dramatically decreased, and for some reason, had to uninstall
JAWS, and noticed that the stuttering was completely gone. NVDA was
talking flawlessly. but once I installed JAWS again, the stuttering came
back as if it wasn't tinkered with at all.

so, I concluded there was nothing I could do other to use NVDA with
minimal stuttering because I prefer to use JAWS some day.

from your reply, the problem is related to the processor? the computer
is running w7, J14 or 16 (forgot which one), 4 GB RAM, 1.6 GHZ Intel
(something). what could I try to make the stuttering go away while JAWS
is being used, any ideas?

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 8:25 PM EST

the problem is the voice synthisizer voices share the same on board
computer c p u as all the other running programs. especially programs
like  that are continuely accessing the drive, like antivirus and
malware bytes,  listening to music or you tube etc.
the c p u will pause the  sound card  voice a few mili seconds so it can
do something else. then turn the sound card back on and continue from
where it left off.
you might be able to stop the stuttering if you use a dedicated sound
card, not a u s b headphone. which still uses the c p u to process the
sound.
they have there own sound processor to take the processing load off the
computer c p u so it can do other chores

-----Original Message----- From: Laura Richardson

I’m having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.
Please let me know if you find out what the issue is …… Windows 10 or Jaws.

Laura

To: main@jfw.groups.io; JAWS Private Beta Group
<JAWSBETA@...>

Sorry for the cross post. I’ve not seen any one on either list state
this as an issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the
same problem. The JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can’t complete any
task. The speech will get so bad that you think that JAWS has just
crashed. It also obviously affects scanning messages, documents and even
just reading items off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I’m not ruling that out either.
The interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it
has gotten much better, however, that’s not the kind of fix I want. I’m
really interested in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth
using the latest JaWS2018, but I’ve seen this happening for a while and
just thought it was my Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried
different versions of JAWS going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.

Mario

hi Mike, incidentally, the steps you have (go to control panel, ease of
access center, yada yada yada) also work in Windows 7. what if the
thickness of the blinking cursor combobox is already set to 1, anything
else to check that you can think of besides the other suggestions on
this subject? no pressure, if you don't, you don't.

Sent: Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 9:21 PM EST

Hi Laura,

I had a stuttering problem with Windows 10 & Jaws and below is how I fixed
it. I don't think this is your and the others' problem, but it'll only take
a minute to check it out.

How I fixed it:

3. Tab to, Set the thickness of the blinking cursor combobox, It was at 3,
but I changed it to 1, & this solved the stuttering problem.

Take care. Mike. Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement. In the
end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

I don't have a brail display ..

Laura

<JAWSBETA@...>

Do you have a Braille display? If so, try disconnecting it and run for a
while. I'm keep track of this.

<JAWSBETA@...>

I'm having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.
Please let me know if you find out what the issue is .. Windows 10 or Jaws.

Laura

<JAWSBETA@...>

Sorry for the cross post. I've not seen any one on either list state this as
an issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the same
problem. The JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can't complete any task. The
speech will get so bad that you think that JAWS has just crashed. It also
obviously affects scanning messages, documents and even just reading items
off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I'm not ruling that out either. The
interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it has
gotten much better, however, that's not the kind of fix I want. I'm really
interested in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth using the
latest JaWS2018, but I've seen this happening for a while and just thought
it was my Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried different
versions of JAWS going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.

Don Mauck

Unfortunately, mine was already set to ‘1’. So, still struggling.

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:21 PM

That and you can do other things like disabling all the pretty animations and dstuff that take constant PC resources.

As someone else suggested though, it may also be worth it to get a separate sound card too.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:22 PM

Hi Laura,

How I fixed it:

Sent from my iBarstool.

Laura

Laura

Don Mauck

Yes. I do however have a fast CPU with 16 GB of RAM.

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:25 PM

the problem is the voice synthisizer voices share the same on board computer c p u as all the other running programs. especially programs like that are continuely accessing the drive, like antivirus and malware bytes, listening to music or you tube etc.
the c p u will pause the sound card voice a few mili seconds so it can do something else. then turn the sound card back on and continue from where it left off.
you might be able to stop the stuttering if you use a dedicated sound card, not a u s b headphone. which still uses the c p u to process the sound.
they have there own sound processor to take the processing load off the computer c p u so it can do other chores

I’m having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.
Please let me know if you find out what the issue is …… Windows 10 or Jaws.

Laura

<JAWSBETA@...>

Sorry for the cross post. I’ve not seen any one on either list state this as an
issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the same problem. The
JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can’t complete any task. The speech will get
so bad that you think that JAWS has just crashed. It also obviously affects
scanning messages, documents and even just reading items off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I’m not ruling that out either. The
interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it has gotten
much better, however, that’s not the kind of fix I want. I’m really interested
in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth using the latest
JaWS2018, but I’ve seen this happening for a while and just thought it was my
Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried different versions of JAWS
going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Mario,

No, I don't have any other ideas.
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 8:57 AM

hi Mike, incidentally, the steps you have (go to control panel, ease of
access center, yada yada yada) also work in Windows 7. what if the
thickness of the blinking cursor combobox is already set to 1, anything
else to check that you can think of besides the other suggestions on
this subject? no pressure, if you don't, you don't.

Sent: Tuesday, Jul 31, 2018 9:21 PM EST

Hi Laura,

I had a stuttering problem with Windows 10 & Jaws and below is how I fixed
it.  I don't think this is your and the others' problem, but it'll only take
a minute to check it out.

How I fixed it:

3. Tab to, Set the thickness of the blinking cursor combobox,  It was at 3,
but I changed it to 1, & this solved the stuttering problem.

Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the
end you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.

I don't have a brail display ..

Laura

<JAWSBETA@...>

Do you have a Braille display? If so, try disconnecting it and run for a
while. I'm keep track of this.

<JAWSBETA@...>

I'm having the same issues on a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Jaws 18.
Please let me know if you find out what the issue is .. Windows 10 or Jaws.

Laura

<JAWSBETA@...>

Sorry for the cross post. I've not seen any one on either list state this as
an issue, however, there are two of us here that are having the same
problem. The JAWS stutter gets so bad that you can't complete any task. The
speech will get so bad that you think that JAWS has just crashed. It also
obviously affects scanning messages, documents and even just reading items
off of your desktop.

Both of us also have Lenovo laptops and I'm not ruling that out either. The
interesting thing is that I disconnected my Braille display and it has
gotten much better, however, that's not the kind of fix I want. I'm really
interested in any feedback I can get to resolve this. We are moth using the
latest JaWS2018, but I've seen this happening for a while and just thought
it was my Laptop. We are using Windows10 and we both tried different
versions of JAWS going back to JAWS16 and till have this problem.