Topics

shut down sound for windows 10


 

Fair or not doesn't come into play here, I lost my sight along with 2 fingers on each hand in an accident when I was 16 and it was entirely my own stupid fault. Is it fair I can't jump into my truck and drive out into the mountains to go hunting or hiking? Is it fair that I can't see a cute girl smiling at me from across the street? OK, so that last one wouldn't happen anyways if it weren't for my beautiful seeing-eye dog *smile*.
Anyhow, what I am saying here is that we are blind (or visually impaired) and that is what we are. Is it fair that some people can't just get up from the couch to walk to the toilet because they need a wheelchair or that others like one of the Paul's on here are not only blind but also profoundly deaf? Maybe it's not fair, but it just is and so we make the best of it and are happy or we don't and are miserable.

Take care,
Sieghard

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:24 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

We will never have the same access to computers that the sighted have.
That will never change. Is it fair, no.


ratshtron
 

ehow-to-change-the-windows-10-logoff-logon-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-10

How to Change the Windows 10 Logoff, Logon, and Shutdown Sounds in Windows 10
by
Walter Glenn
on September 29th, 2016

asb_top_1

Before Windows 10 came along, we were free to
change the sounds that played when we shut down,
logged off, or logged on to Windows. For some reason, Microsoft
hid those sound actions from being modified in
Windows 10. Here’s how to get them back.

RELATED:
How to Make Windows Play a Sound When You Press
Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock

Windows has always been pretty good about letting
you customize every nook and cranny of the OS,
including what sounds played for all kinds of different
system events. You can even make Windows
play a sound when you toggle your Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, and Num Lock keys.
While you can still customize what sounds sounds
play for most OS events, Windows 10 hid shut
down, logoff, and logon from view. They’re still around,
though. You just need to make a few mild changes
in the Windows Registry to get them back.

https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-9173525300015284&;output=html&h=165&slotname=2986027408&adk=15991069&adf=1425602538&w=660&fwrn=4&lmt=1533152612&loeid=368226311&pucrd=CgwIABAAGAMgACgAOAF4Aw&rafmt=11&guci=2.2.0.0.2.2.0&format=660x165&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.howtogeek.com%2F274010%2Fhow-to-change-the-windows-10-logoff-logon-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-10%2F&flash=0&wgl=1&adsid=AOsWmddE8q8xUrrOrx-N02n7NUjOekCtFtfeFB1uqhN-TOLIOqPzdiOI9Q&dt=1533152611482&bpp=18&bdt=1020&fdt=38&idt=794&shv=r20180730&cbv=r20180604&saldr=aa&abxe=1&correlator=1773816009210&frm=20&pv=2&ga_vid=2052013009.1533152612&ga_sid=1533152612&ga_hid=1203869714&ga_fc=0&icsg=167815184&dssz=36&mdo=0&mso=1&rplot=4&u_tz=-300&u_his=3&u_java=0&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=913&u_aw=1280&u_cd=24&u_nplug=1&u_nmime=139&adx=112&ady=1001&biw=1263&bih=842&scr_x=0&scr_y=0&eid=21060853%2C21062171%2C62710015%2C62710017%2C368226301%2C368226401%2C828064255&oid=3&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&rx=0&eae=0&fc=528&
brdim=%2C%2C-8%2C63%2C1280%2C71%2C1296%2C929%2C1280%2C842&vis=1&rsz=%7C%7CeEbr%7C&abl=CS&ppjl=f&pfx=0&fu=144&bc=5&jar=2018-08-01-19&ifi=1&xpc=YSPw2VUotr&p=https%3A//www.howtogeek.com&dtd=892
frame
list of 1 items
Apigee API Management
Gartner Magic Quadrant Report
Named a leader in the 2018 Gartner Magic Quadrant. Download the report …
Ad
Apigee
Learn More
list end
https://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-9173525300015284&;output=html&h=165&slotname=2986027408&adk=15991069&adf=1425602538&w=660&fwrn=4&lmt=1533152612&loeid=368226311&pucrd=CgwIABAAGAMgACgAOAF4Aw&rafmt=11&guci=2.2.0.0.2.2.0&format=660x165&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.howtogeek.com%2F274010%2Fhow-to-change-the-windows-10-logoff-logon-and-shutdown-sounds-in-windows-10%2F&flash=0&wgl=1&adsid=AOsWmddE8q8xUrrOrx-N02n7NUjOekCtFtfeFB1uqhN-TOLIOqPzdiOI9Q&dt=1533152611482&bpp=18&bdt=1020&fdt=38&idt=794&shv=r20180730&cbv=r20180604&saldr=aa&abxe=1&correlator=1773816009210&frm=20&pv=2&ga_vid=2052013009.1533152612&ga_sid=1533152612&ga_hid=1203869714&ga_fc=0&icsg=167815184&dssz=36&mdo=0&mso=1&rplot=4&u_tz=-300&u_his=3&u_java=0&u_h=1024&u_w=1280&u_ah=913&u_aw=1280&u_cd=24&u_nplug=1&u_nmime=139&adx=112&ady=1001&biw=1263&bih=842&scr_x=0&scr_y=0&eid=21060853%2C21062171%2C62710015%2C62710017%2C368226301%2C368226401%2C828064255&oid=3&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&rx=0&eae=0&fc=528&
brdim=%2C%2C-8%2C63%2C1280%2C71%2C1296%2C929%2C1280%2C842&vis=1&rsz=%7C%7CeEbr%7C&abl=CS&ppjl=f&pfx=0&fu=144&bc=5&jar=2018-08-01-19&ifi=1&xpc=YSPw2VUotr&p=https%3A//www.howtogeek.com&dtd=892
frame end

Add the Actions Back to the Sound Control Panel by Editing the Registry

To add the shutdown, logoff, and logon actions
back to the menu in the Sound Control Panel app,
you just need to make a few little tweaks in the Windows
Registry.

Standard warning: Registry Editor is a powerful
tool and misusing it can render your system
unstable or even inoperable. This is a pretty simple hack and
as long as you stick to the instructions, you
shouldn’t have any problems. That said, if you’ve
never worked with it before, consider reading about
how to use the Registry Editor
before you get started. And definitely
back up the Registry
(and
your computer!)
before making changes.

Open the Registry Editor by hitting Start and
typing “regedit.” Press Enter to open Registry
Editor and then give it permission to make changes to your
PC.

asb_1

In the Registry Editor, use the left sidebar to navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels

asb_2

You’re going to be making one small change in
each of three different subkeys inside that
EventLabels key. First, we’ll tackle the shutdown sound or, as
Windows likes to call it, System Exit. Under the
EventLabels key on the left side of Registry
Editor, select the SystemExit subkey. On the right side,
double-click the ExcludeFromCPL value.

asb_3

Note that by default, the value is 1, meaning
that the action is excluded from the Control
Panel. Change the value to 0 and then click “OK.”

asb_4

Next, you’re going to make exactly the same
change in two other subkeys inside the
EventLabels key: WindowsLogoff and WindowsLogon . Head into each of
those folders, open the ExcludeFromCPL value
inside, and change the value from 1 to 0.

asb_5

No need to restart Windows. You can go ahead and
test your changes right away. Open up the Sound
Control Panel app by right-clicking the speaker icon in
your Notification Area and selecting “Sounds.”

asb_6

You should now see the new actions (Exit Windows,
Windows Logoff, and Windows Logon) available in
the selection window and you can assign whatever sounds
you like to those actions.

asb_7

If, for whatever reason, you want to hide those
actions from the Control Panel again, just head
back into Registry Editor and change each of those ExcludeFromCPL
values back to 1.

Download Our One-Click Registry Hacks

asb_8

If you don’t feel like diving into the Registry
yourself, we’ve created some registry hacks you
can use. Download and unzip them first. Inside, you’ll
find three folders named “System Exit Sound
Hacks,” “Windows Logon Sound Hacks,” and “Windows
Logoff Sound Hacks.” Inside each of those folders, you’ll
find two hacks: one for adding the action to the
Sounds Control Panel and one for removing the
action again. Double-click the hack you want to use and
click through the prompts. When you’ve applied
the hack you want, the changes will take place
immediately. No need to restart Windows.

Shutdown-Logoff-Logon Sound Hacks

RELATED:
How to Make Your Own Windows Registry Hacks

These hacks are really just the individual
SystemExit, WindowsLogoff, and WindowsLogon
subkeys, stripped down to the ExcludeFromCPL values we talked about
in the previous section and then exported to a
.REG file. Running either of the hacks sets that
value to the appropriate number. And if you enjoy fiddling
with the Registry, it’s worth taking the time to learn
how to make your own Registry hacks.
article end

SHARE:

sharer/sharer
intent/tweet
www.linkedin.com/shareArticle
plus.google.com/share
www.reddit.com/submit
getpocket.com/save

COMMENTS:

10

Walter Glenn
is a long time computer geek and tech writer.
Though he's mostly a Windows and gadget guy, he
has a fondness for anything tech. You can follow him on

Facebook
and
Twitter.


----------------------------------------
On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:15 PM, Don Walls wrote:
Brian, David requested that you top post. Get with the program.

David does not run this group nor dictate to
me my posting style. I suggest you both learn
to deal or learn to mute.  My posting record
stands very well on its own and I do not have to
comport to the style anyone else prefers. --

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 Â

  The real art of conversation is not only
to say the right thing in the right place but to
leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

         ~ Dorothy Nevill
----------------------------------------


Don H
 

We will never have the same access to computers that the sighted have. That will never change. Is it fair, no.


Robert Wright <wrightsiphone@...>
 

I have gotten use to n longer hearing the shutdown sound. Its only purpose was to let us know that Windows had closed. It had noting to do with whether or not the pc itself had finished shutting down.

 

On the otherhand I wish the alt+I command to go to look in in notepad or word was still available. Oh well!

 

character is found in how you treat people who cannot do anything for you!                                ***                       

 

From: Maria Campbell
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 4:40 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Um, can't see light.  Don't hear fan on laptop.

 

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...
 
"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis
 

On 7/31/2018 6:28 PM, Ashleigh Piccinino wrote:

 Normally, you should be able to hear the motor in your computer stop as it shuts down. Can you do this? If not, you should be able to see the light on your monitor go out. 

 

 

 


Jaffar Sidek
 

And you are still using Microsoft Windows for all your complaints, right?

On 31/7/2018 11:18 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:

MS doesn't give a rat's ass what the public thinks.  If it did, it would have replaced the much-despised ribbon menu structure with the more convenient and less cumbersome classic menu structure that most of its customers, sighted and blind alike,  prefer. On the contrary, MS seems to go out of its way to frustrate and tick off its customers just to prove that they can do anything they damn well please and get away with it.

Gerald



-----Original Message----- From: Aleeha Dudley
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Hi all,
I am a very infrequent poster on this list, but I needed to contribute on this one.
The lack of a shutdown sound does NOT indicate a lack of accessibility You could always use a light detector app to determine if the screen is off, or place your ear close to the computer to hear the different sounds stop. Systems change. That’s a fact. The Mac, for example, does not make the startup sound on the new machines. It’s sad, but it’s true. In an age where people want faster operating systems and less noise from machines, Microsoft has to go with what the public wants, not a niche market. If you really think that Microsoft or any other company is stepping back in terms of accessibility, I’d strongly encourage you to do a bit of research into current accessibility developments first.
Aleeha
On Jul 31, 2018, at 9:42 AM, David Ingram <dingram269@earthlink.net> wrote:

hi list members, what version of jaws are being used currently? If the answers is jaws 2018 or jaws 17 then you should hear all system sounds. I'currently using jaws version 16.  This means that if you're using jaws 17 or 2018 with windows 10 version 1803 you should hear all system soundsI'm going to check to see whether windows 10 version 1803 does the same with firefox?


-----Original Message-----
From: cecropia64 <cecropia64@att.net>
Sent: Jul 31, 2018 9:31 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Maybe.  But that's what these lists are for.  To ask questions and get
answers if there are any to be had.


On 7/31/2018 10:17 AM, Alan Robbins via Groups.Io wrote:
I wish I had a dollar for every time this thread starts up on this list as well as other lists. It seems to me there must be a reason Microsoft stopped having a shut down sound. Has anyone ever taken the time to research this or ask Microsoft? It would seem to me to be energy better spend than repeatedly asking this question on email lists.

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

I disagree with that statement about Microsoft not caring about accessibility. If this were so then why the major and continueing improvements of Narrator and if this statement was true then Apple also does not care about accessibility (which of course is not true) because the iPhone makes neither a startup sound nor a shutdown sound.



-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald Levy
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10


Taking away the shutdown sound in Windows 10 proves once again that MS really does not careabout accessibility, contrary to what some list members believe to the contrary. What possible advantage is there to having no audible means of confirming that your computer has completely shut down? On some laptops, the cooling fan is so weak that it is difficult to impossible to tell whether it is running just by feeling or placing your ear next to the case, so this may not be a reliable substitute for the shutdown sound.
Maybe someone who is smarter than me can explain how eliminating the shutdown sound is an "improvement".

Gerald



Gerald



-----Original Message-----
From: Mario
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 8:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

in the meantime, it would be appreciated, I think by most blind and/or sighted users, to send feedback to Microsoft pleeding that the familiar Windows 7 shutdown sound be reenabled and that any wav file can be assigned as it was possible with earlier versions of Windows, i.e. via the sounds applett of the control panel.
there might be a chance MS would consider it if there were compelling reasons such as for blind users who choose to completely shutdown their system and are using a laptop (or desktop) that does not have any means of testing to see if the system is truely shutdown. the more the reasons that are reasonable, the better the chance MS might do it. no?




-------- Original Message --------
From: cecropia64 [mailto:cecropia64@att.net]
Sent: Monday, Jul 30, 2018 7:35 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: shut down sound for windows 10

yup, me too.  I'm gonna use Windows 7 until Microsoft says "no more".
But by then I hope to have learned enough about Windows 10 to at least use it without too much of an issue.  We shall see about that.


On 7/30/2018 6:24 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:

So how can you tell for sure that your computer has shut down completely if there is no sound like in Windows 7 and earlier? This is yet another reason why I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Windows 10.

Gerald



-----Original Message----- From: Pastor Gil Pries
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 5:10 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

With Windows 10, there is no way to assign a shutdown sound.

Pastor Gil

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teresa
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 1:56 PM
To: JFW <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: shut down sound for windows 10

good afternoon list: how do I assign a sound when windows 10 shuts down?
Thanks to all in advance.














.























Jaffar Sidek
 

Free Will?  You have it.  You are free to use Linux or Mac or Dos or Android or some other OS.  You are not obliged to pay for and use Windows if you don't like it  You could pay more for a Mac, use some other free OS, and see how you get along.  No one is ever forced to use one OS or the other, now isn't that free will?


On 31/7/2018 9:56 PM, Jonas Voll wrote:

I do not like other people making Decisions for myself!

Free will, is what I want!

 

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration and opportunity for people who are blind or visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.


From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:41 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 09:16 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

I disagree with that statement about Microsoft not caring about accessibility.

As does anyone who pays the slightest bit of attention.   The creation of Narrator, and the degree of ongoing development of same, marked a tectonic shift in Microsoft's attitude toward accessibility.

Although I loved the shutdown sound, and see why it can be useful, even on a laptop there are easy ways to tell if a computer is shut down or not.  Just place your hand near the fan exit vent and you will feel the stream of air, which is usually significantly warmer than any room temperature, cease flowing upon complete shutdown, as the fans are the last thing to shut down.

The shutdown sound is a triviality in the world of accessibility.  Pick your battles.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

 
SonicWall identified this message as clean.
To manage your junk mail go to https://nospam.envisionus.com 
and 
logon with your domain userid and password.
If you consider this email to be spam please forward it to 
'spam@...'

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.




Bill White
 

Well, I have the same problem as you, Maria, when it comes to the fan. And to make matters worse, Mine is a solid state drive, so no vibration either. People seem to forget that speech can shut down without the laptop shutting down. Also, if you try to force a shutdown when Windows is updating and speech is gone, you risk having to reinstall windows.

 

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Maria Campbell
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 9:45 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Not to be difficult here, but my new Lenovo laptop has the heat vent on the bottom, and I can feel the heat on the bottom when lifting it, but no air flow.  Also, I almost think I feel the vibration of the drive, but wouldn't want to stake my life on it.  I hear no fan.  However, if I listen very carefully, I can hear a bit of a click as my external speaker turns off when the laptop shuts down.  That's what separates us from the monkeys--finding work arounds.

 

 

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...
 
"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis
 

On 8/1/2018 12:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Back to laptops.  It will be the rarest of individuals who cannot feel whether the stream of very warm to hot air that ceaselessly issues from the heat sink vent on a laptop has stopped.  If it's on, even at idle, you will feel heat from this vent.  A CPU/APU is never anywhere near to room temperature when running and the fan is always on, even if at low speed.

The most reliable way to tell if a laptop is actually off is to check with your fingertips or palm placed just beside this vent exit.  If you don't feel anything the probability that the machine is off is as close to 100% as it's possible to get.

Most desktops are "noisy" enough that you can tell by listening if their fans are off.  They also have such large airflow and multiple vent points that the temperature differential of air coming out doesn't feel that much different than ambient air temperature indoors.  Laptops virtually always "feel hot" because of the confined spaces involved and the small fans involved, too.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

 


Maria Campbell
 

Not to be difficult here, but my new Lenovo laptop has the heat vent on the bottom, and I can feel the heat on the bottom when lifting it, but no air flow.  Also, I almost think I feel the vibration of the drive, but wouldn't want to stake my life on it.  I hear no fan.  However, if I listen very carefully, I can hear a bit of a click as my external speaker turns off when the laptop shuts down.  That's what separates us from the monkeys--finding work arounds.



Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 8/1/2018 12:02 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Back to laptops.  It will be the rarest of individuals who cannot feel whether the stream of very warm to hot air that ceaselessly issues from the heat sink vent on a laptop has stopped.  If it's on, even at idle, you will feel heat from this vent.  A CPU/APU is never anywhere near to room temperature when running and the fan is always on, even if at low speed.

The most reliable way to tell if a laptop is actually off is to check with your fingertips or palm placed just beside this vent exit.  If you don't feel anything the probability that the machine is off is as close to 100% as it's possible to get.

Most desktops are "noisy" enough that you can tell by listening if their fans are off.  They also have such large airflow and multiple vent points that the temperature differential of air coming out doesn't feel that much different than ambient air temperature indoors.  Laptops virtually always "feel hot" because of the confined spaces involved and the small fans involved, too.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill



Maria Campbell
 

I am amazed at the fact that the partially sighted on the list are so out of it so as to completely forget about the totally blind and how they have to deal with accessibility or the lack of it.



Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

"Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
--St. Francis

On 8/1/2018 11:56 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Hi Ashleigh,

 

First of all, you must be partially sighted, but is it so hard to imagine all of us fully blind users who simply have no way to see any lights go out or not go out?

Also, if you use a desktop the monitor might go black, but any LED lights remain on since the monitor has it’s own power. I assume you would see the monitor going black, but once again a completely blind person of course will not.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashleigh Piccinino
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:28 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

 Normally, you should be able to hear the motor in your computer stop as it shuts down. Can you do this? If not, you should be able to see the light on your monitor go out. 

 



 

I just deleted all other group messages and now only this thread is left with well over 50 messages, can’t believe a little shudown sound produced such a huge and at times heated dsiscussion.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Alan Robbins via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 7:38 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Don,

 

I think this is the wrong JAWS list. I believe the one you are referring to is the Jaws-users-list I think Brian unsubscribed over there.

 

Al

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Brian, David requested that you top post.  Get with the program.

 

From: Brian Vogel

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:54 PM

Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 02:19 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Attitudes matter because how users and developers understand accessibility and needs of customers will shape how accessible the end product will be. Technologies matter because without means of delivering on that attitudes, attempts at convincing the public and developers won’t be that strong. Thus, to me, lack of shutdown sounds is a small thing compared to attitudes of some developers who think it is okay to just design beautiful interfaces without giving thoughts to accessibility, and screen reader vendors are not exempt from this.

Amen!!   There really are important battles to be fought and won.  The presence or absence of a shutdown sound is definitely not one of them.  It's very nice to have, and I've made a major effort to find a way to provide one, but in the end it is a triviality for the very reason you state.  People were used to it, but that doesn't make it essential.  There are plenty of ways, most of which have now been mentioned repeatedly, to double check that a computer is powered down sans any system sound to indicate it's at least trying to get there.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


 

Back to laptops.  It will be the rarest of individuals who cannot feel whether the stream of very warm to hot air that ceaselessly issues from the heat sink vent on a laptop has stopped.  If it's on, even at idle, you will feel heat from this vent.  A CPU/APU is never anywhere near to room temperature when running and the fan is always on, even if at low speed.

The most reliable way to tell if a laptop is actually off is to check with your fingertips or palm placed just beside this vent exit.  If you don't feel anything the probability that the machine is off is as close to 100% as it's possible to get.

Most desktops are "noisy" enough that you can tell by listening if their fans are off.  They also have such large airflow and multiple vent points that the temperature differential of air coming out doesn't feel that much different than ambient air temperature indoors.  Laptops virtually always "feel hot" because of the confined spaces involved and the small fans involved, too.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


 

Hi Ashleigh,

 

First of all, you must be partially sighted, but is it so hard to imagine all of us fully blind users who simply have no way to see any lights go out or not go out?

Also, if you use a desktop the monitor might go black, but any LED lights remain on since the monitor has it’s own power. I assume you would see the monitor going black, but once again a completely blind person of course will not.

 

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ashleigh Piccinino
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:28 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

 Normally, you should be able to hear the motor in your computer stop as it shuts down. Can you do this? If not, you should be able to see the light on your monitor go out. 

 


 

Hi  Aleeha,

 

I have seen posts on Viphone where people complained that theire is no startup sound on the iPhone, don’t think I ever seen somebody wanting a shutdown sound, however. Of course it’s easy on the iPhone to check and in any ways, I never have seen any of my iPhones not shut down after I double tapped the “Power off” button. To check you can just wait 6 or 8 seconds and then flick the mute switch, if the iPhone was not shutdown you would feel the little vibration. In any case, maybe with the iPhone people don’t complain because very few people shut it down for any extended period of time whereas desktops and PC’s are still shutdown by many people on a regular bases instead of simply putting them to sleep. nobody

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Aleeha Dudley
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:54 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

What about the fact that the iPhone and Mac don’t and have never had, shut down sounds? Why are we not bashing Apple as well? The point that has been made that Microsoft should focus on more important accessibility features rather than focusing on the shut down sound. The shut down sound is not an accessibility feature. And you’re right: they’re spending more time on accessibility features than worrying about a petty little concern that doesn’t even conclusively indicate anything. The computer is not shut down when you hear the sound. It is only shut down when the fans and hard drive stop.

Aleeha

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Don H
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:34 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Someone said if you uncheck fast startup in the power settings the

startup and shutdown sound options return.  On my system they do not.

I wonder how many people that have fast startup enabled know that this

does not do the same as a restart?  If you have fast startup enabled you

should on a regular basis do a system restart.  I have fast startup

disabled as I think a full shutdown gives you better overall

performance.  Can't think that a few more seconds for bootup is a

terrible thing.

 

 

 

 


 

What exactly makes this a "stupid" solution?

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Matzura
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:11 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

This is the stupidest solution I've ever encountered,but apparently it's the only one.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/94891-play-sound-shutdown-windows-10-a.html


On 7/30/2018 4:56 PM, Teresa wrote:
good afternoon list: how do I assign a sound when windows 10 shuts down? Thanks to all in advance.



 

What exactly do you mean by "normal stuff"?
I also have pointed out that in some ways Windows 10 is a step back for accessibility especially with legacy applications where in Windows 7 the Jaws cursor could often be used to great effect. However, let's face it, accessibility has never received as much attention by these large organisations (Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook, Amazon etc.) as it is getting now and over the last 6 or 8 years. Apple started the ball rolling with Voiceover and while Microsoft the corporation is neither blind nor sighted since it doesn't have eyes, there are plenty of blind employees who are part of Microsoft and who probably do their best to push accessibility forward. Why a few people get their panties in such a wad over this shutdown sound is a mystery to me especially since instructions as to how to get it back have been posted and Brian has even posted his registry file which does it all for you. The result may not always be reliable for everybody, but those who want it should at least try it. Furthermore, as far as knowing whether a computer has shut down is not necessarily determined by its shutdown sound. I had situations where in Windows 7 the shutdown sound played and then a sighted employee told me my computer screen displayed some message which required action and the computer had not shut down. As Brian said, if you are that concerned and require the feedback and if you don't have a DVD drive, then plug in a USB stick and see if the computer plays any sounds.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of cecropia64
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 8:25 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Problem is that Microsoft isn't blind.  They really have no idea how hard it can be for us.  If they did I think they'd put more effort into it.  I know they have come a long way but it would be nice if they made the normal stuff more useable as well, not just their own stuff.


On 7/31/2018 11:18 AM, Gerald Levy wrote:

MS doesn't give a rat's ass what the public thinks.  If it did, it
would have replaced the much-despised ribbon menu structure with the
more convenient and less cumbersome classic menu structure that most
of its customers, sighted and blind alike,  prefer. On the contrary,
MS seems to go out of its way to frustrate and tick off its customers
just to prove that they can do anything they damn well please and get
away with it.

Gerald



-----Original Message----- From: Aleeha Dudley
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:50 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Hi all,
I am a very infrequent poster on this list, but I needed to contribute
on this one.
The lack of a shutdown sound does NOT indicate a lack of accessibility
You could always use a light detector app to determine if the screen
is off, or place your ear close to the computer to hear the different
sounds stop. Systems change. That’s a fact. The Mac, for example, does
not make the startup sound on the new machines. It’s sad, but it’s
true. In an age where people want faster operating systems and less
noise from machines, Microsoft has to go with what the public wants,
not a niche market. If you really think that Microsoft or any other
company is stepping back in terms of accessibility, I’d strongly
encourage you to do a bit of research into current accessibility
developments first.
Aleeha
On Jul 31, 2018, at 9:42 AM, David Ingram <dingram269@earthlink.net>
wrote:

hi list members, what version of jaws are being used currently? If
the answers is jaws 2018 or jaws 17 then you should hear all system
sounds. I'currently using jaws version 16.  This means that if you're
using jaws 17 or 2018 with windows 10 version 1803 you should hear
all system soundsI'm going to check to see whether windows 10 version
1803 does the same with firefox?


-----Original Message-----
From: cecropia64 <cecropia64@att.net>
Sent: Jul 31, 2018 9:31 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

Maybe.  But that's what these lists are for.  To ask questions and
get answers if there are any to be had.


On 7/31/2018 10:17 AM, Alan Robbins via Groups.Io wrote:
I wish I had a dollar for every time this thread starts up on this
list as well as other lists. It seems to me there must be a reason
Microsoft stopped having a shut down sound. Has anyone ever taken
the time to research this or ask Microsoft? It would seem to me to
be energy better spend than repeatedly asking this question on
email lists.

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:16 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

I disagree with that statement about Microsoft not caring about
accessibility. If this were so then why the major and continueing
improvements of Narrator and if this statement was true then Apple
also does not care about accessibility (which of course is not
true) because the iPhone makes neither a startup sound nor a
shutdown sound.



-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gerald
Levy
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:51 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10


Taking away the shutdown sound in Windows 10 proves once again that
MS really does not careabout accessibility, contrary to what some
list members believe to the contrary. What possible advantage is
there to having no audible means of confirming that your computer
has completely shut down? On some laptops, the cooling fan is so
weak that it is difficult to impossible to tell whether it is
running just by feeling or placing your ear next to the case, so
this may not be a reliable substitute for the shutdown sound.
Maybe someone who is smarter than me can explain how eliminating
the shutdown sound is an "improvement".

Gerald



Gerald



-----Original Message-----
From: Mario
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 8:50 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

in the meantime, it would be appreciated, I think by most blind
and/or sighted users, to send feedback to Microsoft pleeding that
the familiar Windows 7 shutdown sound be reenabled and that any wav
file can be assigned as it was possible with earlier versions of
Windows, i.e. via the sounds applett of the control panel.
there might be a chance MS would consider it if there were
compelling reasons such as for blind users who choose to completely
shutdown their system and are using a laptop (or desktop) that does
not have any means of testing to see if the system is truely
shutdown. the more the reasons that are reasonable, the better the
chance MS might do it. no?




-------- Original Message --------
From: cecropia64 [mailto:cecropia64@att.net]
Sent: Monday, Jul 30, 2018 7:35 PM EST
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: shut down sound for windows 10

yup, me too.  I'm gonna use Windows 7 until Microsoft says "no more".
But by then I hope to have learned enough about Windows 10 to at
least use it without too much of an issue.  We shall see about that.


On 7/30/2018 6:24 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:

So how can you tell for sure that your computer has shut down
completely if there is no sound like in Windows 7 and earlier? This
is yet another reason why I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Windows 10.

Gerald



-----Original Message----- From: Pastor Gil Pries
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 5:10 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

With Windows 10, there is no way to assign a shutdown sound.

Pastor Gil

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Teresa
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 1:56 PM
To: JFW <jfw@groups.io>
Subject: shut down sound for windows 10

good afternoon list: how do I assign a sound when windows 10 shuts
down?
Thanks to all in advance.














.

























Alan Robbins
 

Don,

 

I think this is the wrong JAWS list. I believe the one you are referring to is the Jaws-users-list I think Brian unsubscribed over there.

 

Al

 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Walls
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 10:15 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

Brian, David requested that you top post.  Get with the program.

 

From: Brian Vogel

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:54 PM

Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10

 

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 02:19 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Attitudes matter because how users and developers understand accessibility and needs of customers will shape how accessible the end product will be. Technologies matter because without means of delivering on that attitudes, attempts at convincing the public and developers won’t be that strong. Thus, to me, lack of shutdown sounds is a small thing compared to attitudes of some developers who think it is okay to just design beautiful interfaces without giving thoughts to accessibility, and screen reader vendors are not exempt from this.

Amen!!   There really are important battles to be fought and won.  The presence or absence of a shutdown sound is definitely not one of them.  It's very nice to have, and I've made a major effort to find a way to provide one, but in the end it is a triviality for the very reason you state.  People were used to it, but that doesn't make it essential.  There are plenty of ways, most of which have now been mentioned repeatedly, to double check that a computer is powered down sans any system sound to indicate it's at least trying to get there.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


 

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 10:15 PM, Don Walls wrote:
Brian, David requested that you top post.  Get with the program.
David does not run this group nor dictate to me my posting style.  I suggest you both learn to deal or learn to mute.  My posting record stands very well on its own and I do not have to comport to the style anyone else prefers.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


Ashleigh Piccinino
 

I too have held the power button down on my computer. However, it messes with the hard drive. I wouldn’t do that if I were you. I will get cited assistance to see if your computer has shut down. Better to be safe than sorry


From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:22:18 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10
 
On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Gerald Levy wrote:
But without a shutdown sound, you can't confirm that the shutdown procedure has even been initiated in the first place.
If you choose the power menu, shutdown option, you can be assured that the shutdown procedure has been initiated.  It may hang at times, as you've already indicated, but it's initiated.
 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill


Ashleigh Piccinino
 

Just bought my suggestion would help.


From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Don H <lmddh50@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:43:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10
 
It is possible to creat a batch file to shutdown Windows 10 as well as a
way to play a sound.  However if something is preventing Windows from
shutting down I am not sure the batch file would be any better.

On 7/31/2018 5:40 PM, Maria Campbell wrote:
> Um, can't see light.  Don't hear fan on laptop.
>
>
> Maria Campbell
> lucky1inct@...
>
> "Preach the Gospel, and when necessary use words!"
> --St. Francis
>
> On 7/31/2018 6:28 PM, Ashleigh Piccinino wrote:
>>  Normally, you should be able to hear the motor in your computer stop
>> as it shuts down. Can you do this? If not, you should be able to see
>> the light on your monitor go out.
>>
>> Get Outlook for iOS <https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Faka.ms%2Fo0ukef&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C88511076a1da453f425808d5f73f705d%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636686774188739129&amp;sdata=JwYU0%2FjlMfTYzpuCxyiKoTdPa2wdjlmBZ0uziHin8tY%3D&amp;reserved=0>
>
>





Don Walls
 

Brian, David requested that you top post.  Get with the program.
 

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 12:54 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: shut down sound for windows 10
 
On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 02:19 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Attitudes matter because how users and developers understand accessibility and needs of customers will shape how accessible the end product will be. Technologies matter because without means of delivering on that attitudes, attempts at convincing the public and developers won’t be that strong. Thus, to me, lack of shutdown sounds is a small thing compared to attitudes of some developers who think it is okay to just design beautiful interfaces without giving thoughts to accessibility, and screen reader vendors are not exempt from this.
Amen!!   There really are important battles to be fought and won.  The presence or absence of a shutdown sound is definitely not one of them.  It's very nice to have, and I've made a major effort to find a way to provide one, but in the end it is a triviality for the very reason you state.  People were used to it, but that doesn't make it essential.  There are plenty of ways, most of which have now been mentioned repeatedly, to double check that a computer is powered down sans any system sound to indicate it's at least trying to get there.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

    The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill