Strange Outlook 2016 Issue

Tom Behler

Hello, all.

This afternoon, I tried accessing my list of folders in Outlook 2016, and am suddenly unable to access the folder list.

I can get someone sighted to access my Outlook folders via the mouse, but whenever I shift Tab from my message list view to my folder list, I get a current mailbox submenu item, and I can’t move anywhere with my arrow keys.

It’s almost like Jaws is stuck in my current list view, with no way to get back to my list of Outlook folders.

I have checked my layout  settings under the settings view, and all seems as it should be.  My folder view is set to normal, the reading pane is set to off, and the to do bar is off.

I’m at a loss as to what to do here to get things back to the way they should be.

I’m using Jaws 17 and Windows 7 here.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Loreal Lavigna <Llavigna2@...>

Have you tried the key command Control plus Y?  This is the “move to folder” keyboard shortcut with JAWS.  Hope this helps you!

This afternoon, I tried accessing my list of folders in Outlook 2016, and am suddenly unable to access the folder list.

I can get someone sighted to access my Outlook folders via the mouse, but whenever I shift Tab from my message list view to my folder list, I get a current mailbox submenu item, and I can’t move anywhere with my arrow keys.

It’s almost like Jaws is stuck in my current list view, with no way to get back to my list of Outlook folders.

I have checked my layout  settings under the settings view, and all seems as it should be.  My folder view is set to normal, the reading pane is set to off, and the to do bar is off.

I’m at a loss as to what to do here to get things back to the way they should be.

I’m using Jaws 17 and Windows 7 here.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Yes, I just did the control Y command, and my folder list came back.

So, that is definitely a work-around for now.

However, I’m still not sure why my folder list is no longer accessible via the normal shift tab when I want to get out of a message view in a given outlook folder.

Tom Behler

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Have you tried Control-Y then, say S for Sent Messages?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Carolyn:

I can get control Y to work, so that is a work-around for now.

But, I'd really like to get to my Outlook folder list via the shift tab
after I'm in a folder message list view if possible.

Everything was working just fine earlier this afternoon.

Tom Behler

[...]

Sometimes, Outlook will kink like that - best thing, sign
out and back in. VOILA! You should have Outlook back in
sync. I hate it when that happens, but I might as well not
bother, how I feel has no effect whatsoever on Outlook.
Shame on it.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

I thibnk you will if you restart or sign out - bummer, but
it works.

[...]

I have signed out and back into Outlook several times, but no joy.

I also completely shut down and re-booted the computer, but again, no joy.

It's just mind boggling how these sorts of things seem to happen for no
readily apparent reason! (LOL)

I'll keep at it here, and try any suggestions others might have.

At least control Y still works.

Tom Behler

[...]

Big time bummer.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. Have you rebooted your machine since the problem started?
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13930 (20160808) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13930 (20160808) __________

http://www.eset.com

Tom Behler

Yes, I have, several times.

But, no joy!

It's just very strange.

Tom Behler

[...]

database 13930 (20160808) __________

http://www.eset.com

George Basioli <gbmagoo@...>

When in a folder like in bos do the following

Alt v f n

This will put the folders on the left edge of the window and then you can
shift tab to them

[...]

Do you supposed that a system restore would solve the
problem?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

virus signature
database 13930 (20160808) __________

http://www.eset.com

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Thanks for that tip!

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

George:

I think what you suggest is what I need--i.e. I need the list of folders to
be on the left edge of the window, but Alt F followed by the letter N does
not do this for me.

Is there another way to accomplish this?

Once again, I'm using Jaws 17 with Outlook 2016 and windows 7 here.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

He said Alt-V-F-N. I made note of it in my tutorial notes.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

I had thought of doing a system restore, but am not sure of the steps.

If you have them please send them along.

Once again, the really strange thing is that everything was working just
fine earlier today. I only noticed the problem late this afternoon.

Tom Behler

[...]

Thanks for the correction, Carolyn.

I just tried Alt V followed by F and then N.

The folder pane is set to normal, which is the way it is supposed to be set,
I believe.

I also doublechecked, and both the reading pane and the to do bar are set to
off.

Tom Behler

[...]

I checked Documents to see if I had a file on it. I know
Carlos and some of the others will know with certainty how
to do that. I know it's not hard and different than it was
in XP, but am not sure enough of what to do to suggest to
anyone else how to try to.

[...]

Great, Doc Tom! I just studied what George sent, also
included it in the tutorial now. What a relief. That could
happen to any of us with Outlook.