JAWS July Update, J2018.1807.8, Download Links + What's New

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi All,

The July update, J2018.1807.8, is available.  The direct download links plus the enhancements for this release are below.

32 Bit:

64 Bit:

Enhancements in JAWS 2018.1807.8 (July 2018)

The following is a list of improvements made in JAWS 2018 between the May 2018 update and the July 2018 update.

JAWS
list of 4 items
• The ALT+SHIFT+ARROW keystrokes to move the mouse pointer now only work when the JAWS Cursor is active. Otherwise, these commands perform their application-specific
function. For instance, the ALT+SHIFT+UP or DOWN ARROW keys are used to reorder notebook/section/page lists in OneNote.
• Added updated scripts provided by Corel for WordPerfect Office X9.
• Made additional changes requested by Foxit for their PhantomPDF software including the ability for JAWS to begin reading automatically once the PDF document
is loaded.
• Resolved issues with a JAWS repair not working as expected for some users.
list end

Microsoft Office
list of 14 items
• Addressed reported issues with JAWS becoming sluggish while navigating certain forms created in Word.
• Addressed issues with JAWS not properly announcing content controls in unprotected Word documents such as forms or templates.
• JAWS now detects inline images in Word.
• Addressed an issue with JAWS not reading as expected when spell checking a document in Word (build 9020 and later).
• In Word (build 9020 or later), when pressing the APPLICATIONS key on a misspelled word and then choosing "See More", resolved an issue where JAWS focus
was not moving to the correct pane.
• Addressed a reported issue in Word where you could not move past an equation in a table using the TAB key.
• When F1 is pressed in Word to open Help, addressed a customer reported issue where you could not read the help content using the ARROW keys as expected.
• Resolved an issue with Outlook closing unexpectedly when opening certain messages with JAWS running.
• Resolved an issue with the JAWS tutor help messages for buttons in the Outlook Preview Pane.
• Addressed an issue for a customer using the iManage FileSite plugin with Outlook where JAWS was not reading items in certain folders.
• If an object on a PowerPoint slide contains SmartArt, pressing INSERT+F1 to display screen-sensitive help will now also include the full shape description.
• When pressing CTRL+ENTER in PowerPoint to insert a slide, resolved an issue where JAWS was not indicating that you were on a new slide.
• Resolved a reported issue with JAWS becoming sluggish while navigating a particular spreadsheet in Excel.
• Resolved an issue in Excel where the function autosuggest, cell autocomplete, and data validation lists were not working as expected with speech or braille.
list end

Web Browsers
list of 13 items
• When using Navigation Quick Keys in Edge to move to various elements including buttons, lists, and tables, resolved an issue where the Virtual Cursor
was not always being placed at the beginning of the element as expected.
• When navigating by character in Edge and you encounter a button, JAWS now indicates when you enter and leave the button element if it supports navigation
by character.
• Improved navigating lists containing links in Edge.
• JAWS now correctly identifies Same Page and MailTo links in Firefox 60 and later.
• Resolved issues with opening a context menu using the APPLICATIONS key or Right Mouse Click not working as expected in Firefox 60.
• In Firefox, resolved an issue where it was not possible to activate a link containing a heading.
• JAWS now supports the <ins> and <del> HTML tags in ContentEditable elements in Google Chrome. These tags can be used to indicate revisions in an edit
field.
• JAWS now supports the <meter> HTML tag in Chrome which defines a scale or measurement within a known range, or a fractional value.
• Added support for the ARIA-roledescription property in Firefox and Chrome.
• Addressed an issue with Internet Explorer reported by the Social Security Administration where some radio button groups were being announced twice by
JAWS.
• Unlabeled forms are no longer included in region navigation using the R and SHIFT+R Navigation Quick Keys. In addition, the start of end of unlabeled
form regions is no longer announced as you navigate using the ARROW keys.
• The start and end announcements for document and application regions are now off by default at all web verbosity levels. In addition, the start and end
of frame elements is only announced by default when JAWS is set to High web verbosity. To further customize what is spoken, open Settings Center, search
for "web verbosity", and then choose Configure Verbosity Levels. You can then choose to customize the High, Medium, or Low verbosity level.
• If the start and end announcements for regions are turned off in the currently selected web verbosity level in Settings Center, the R, SHIFT+R, O, and
SHIFT+O Navigation Quick Keys will now continue to move to the next or previous region or article on a web page.
list end

Windows 10
list of 4 items
• If you have added additional Windows languages, you can now use JAWS to select a keyboard language from the Logon screen.
• Resolved an issue where the calculator display field could sometimes double speak when gaining focus.
• Resolved an issue where JAWS would only announce the first Windows notification displayed after JAWS first started. Subsequent notifications should now
be announced.
• Resolved an intermittent issue where JAWS was not reading as expected at the Windows command prompt.
list end

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.

Don H

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a update is available?

Soronel Haetir

I know it used to be very recommended to download the full update and
run that rather than use the update notification and that is what I
still do. I don't know if the problems were ever fully addressed so
it's always seemed easier to do it this way rather than run into
avoidable trouble.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Ashleigh Piccinino

Glad I could help bring this thread into position.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@...

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Don,

It is still recommended by Freedom Scientific / VFO to download the Jaws update installer executable to your computer and run it from there.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sennt from my iBarstool.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over
the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a
update is available?

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

I downloaded from the automatic update, and had no problems.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over

the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a

update is available?

Ashleigh Piccinino

Same here! The automatic update works for me as well.
Ashleigh Piccinino

I downloaded from the automatic update, and had no problems.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over

the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a

update is available?

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

The problem isn’t necessarily the download and installation of the update. The problem sometimes occurs when you want to do a repair of JAWS using the latest JAWS installer. Sometimes it won’t work, because JAWS wasn’t installed with the installer from the website.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I downloaded from the automatic update, and had no problems.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over

the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a

update is available?

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I have had no issues with the Jaws update feature, given the size it says the download is it would appear that it is the full version anyways, Jaws does apparently not update just parts of the software but always installs the full version.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a update is available?

David & his pack of dogs <myguidedogis@...>

I have not had any problems either since the download.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over the
top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a update
is available?

Dan Longmore

 According to Freedom Scientific when you update from within the program it does new components only. That’s why they recommend the full update from their website.

I have had no issues with the Jaws  update feature, given the size it says the download is it would appear that it is the full version anyways, Jaws does apparently not update just parts of the software but always installs the full version.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a update is available?

Steve Nutt

Me either.  I’ve done this for years without problem.

All the best

Steve

I downloaded from the automatic update, and had no problems.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over

the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a

update is available?

Steve Nutt

Usually, if the auto update doesn’t work, it’s a firewall issue.

All the best

Steve

Same here! The automatic update works for me as well.

Ashleigh Piccinino

I downloaded from the automatic update, and had no problems.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over

the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a

update is available?

Steve Nutt

Bill, I’ve never seen that either.  It’s worked for me with auto update and repair for years.

All the best

Steve

The problem isn’t necessarily the download and installation of the update. The problem sometimes occurs when you want to do a repair of JAWS using the latest JAWS installer. Sometimes it won’t work, because JAWS wasn’t installed with the installer from the website.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I downloaded from the automatic update, and had no problems.

Is it better to download the latest version of Jaws and install it over

the top of your existing Jaws or to just update Jaws when it indicates a

update is available?

Dan Longmore

 Firewall is not always the issue, Freedom Scientific recommends in my experience agrees, that if you can avoid using the auto update and get it directly from the website most often get a better result