Topics

media creation tool didn't download new or so it appears

ken lawrence

Hi listers I had the windows media creation tool on my computer from a previous repare/install so found it and ran it I selected upgrade this PC now and in roughly 2 hours was back up and running.  the first thing I did was test the edge browser and jaws still couldn’t read it.  the blind bargains post said that edge version 14 should be in the anniversary update of windows.  it doesn’t appear to have done the anniversary update.  edge still can’t read with jaws.  tried something very basic the mobile version of facebook.  is the anniversary update not up as yet or is there something else I should have done.  the computer said I installed windows 10 home.  is the update there yet and if not will I get some kind of notification in the notification center?

Maria Campbell

You can go to system then to about, and it will tell you the version of w10, which should be 1607 if it has updated.

Maria Campbell
lucky1@...

Without them, hunanity cannot survive.
--Dalai Lama
On 8/6/2016 9:06 PM, ken lawrence via Groups.io wrote:

Hi listers I had the windows media creation tool on my computer from a previous repare/install so found it and ran it I selected upgrade this PC now and in roughly 2 hours was back up and running.  the first thing I did was test the edge browser and jaws still couldn’t read it.  the blind bargains post said that edge version 14 should be in the anniversary update of windows.  it doesn’t appear to have done the anniversary update.  edge still can’t read with jaws.  tried something very basic the mobile version of facebook.  is the anniversary update not up as yet or is there something else I should have done.  the computer said I installed windows 10 home.  is the update there yet and if not will I get some kind of notification in the notification center?

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Ken, Edge isn't supported yet. Blind Barbains was talking about Edge and not its accessibility with screen readers. I'm not even sure Cortana uses Internet Explorer as the default browser with Jaws as was stated earlier this week.

Les

On Aug 6, 2016 9:06 PM, "ken lawrence via Groups.io" <kenlawrence124@...> wrote:
Hi listers I had the windows media creation tool on my computer from a previous repare/install so found it and ran it I selected upgrade this PC now and in roughly 2 hours was back up and running.  the first thing I did was test the edge browser and jaws still couldn’t read it.  the blind bargains post said that edge version 14 should be in the anniversary update of windows.  it doesn’t appear to have done the anniversary update.  edge still can’t read with jaws.  tried something very basic the mobile version of facebook.  is the anniversary update not up as yet or is there something else I should have done.  the computer said I installed windows 10 home.  is the update there yet and if not will I get some kind of notification in the notification center?

Mario

if the MCT is less than 17000 KB, you've got the older version.
download the new one:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Hi listers I had the windows media creation tool on my computer from a
previous repare/install so found it and ran it I selected upgrade this
PC now and in roughly 2 hours was back up and running. the first thing
I did was test the edge browser and jaws still couldn’t read it. the
blind bargains post said that edge version 14 should be in the
anniversary update of windows. it doesn’t appear to have done the
anniversary update. edge still can’t read with jaws. tried something
very basic the mobile version of facebook. is the anniversary update
not up as yet or is there something else I should have done. the
computer said I installed windows 10 home. is the update there yet and
if not will I get some kind of notification in the notification center?

"Kevin Hourigan " <kevinthourigan@...>

Greetings,

I went to System in the control panel, could not find About, but pressing the Windows Key, and then insert, control, V, did announce a version. 10.0.185…, so I take it I am not up-dated to the anniversary version?

Cheers Kevin.

[...]

OK.  Now I'm nervous.  If I press the keys you mention, I get the message of having even an earlier build than you. However, if I press start menu, tab to system and enter, down arrow to about and enter, I get the version of 1607.

What to do?

On 8/7/2016 12:58 PM, Kevin Hourigan wrote:

[...]

Hello Maria,

Please confirm,

When I press the Windows key I get Cortana or a search edit field, and when I tab or arrow I get Most used, account picture, Jaws 17, control panel, and some other programs, but no sign of systems; is that what is referred to as the start menu? Since tabbing and arrowing does not produce system to hit enter upon.

Cheers Kevin.

[...]

No, sorry.  You press Windows key plus I then tab to system, if you have the new w10 update.  If you don't have it yet, as soon as you press Windows key plus I, you land on system.  You enter on system, down arrow to about, then enter on that, to hear the version you have; but listen closely as a lot of information is thrown at you at once.

On 8/7/2016 7:04 PM, Kevin Hourigan wrote:

[...]

Alan Robbins

Kevin,

She  said windows key plus i, not just windows key.

Al

[...]

Thank you for the instructions, I found it, and I, “Think”, I heard,

Windows 10 home version, 101607, OS build 14,393. .10”,

Is that the current version, please? . I am experiencing a bunch of new stuff navigating around the start menu and task bar now.

Cheers Kevin.

[...]

Yes Kevin that is the good old Redstone update.  Check out Jim's tutorials to help you learn your way around the new stuff.

On 8/8/2016 11:23 AM, Kevin Hourigan wrote:

[...]

Maria, what tutorials are you referring to? I'd be interested in checking them out. Thanks.

Les

On Aug 8, 2016 11:29 AM, Maria Campbell <lucky1inct@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Maria, could you tell me how to access Jim’s tutorials, please?

Cheers Kevin.

[...]

Unfortunately, Jim, the writer of these tutorials, is having Internet problems.  Perhaps Ed can provide the OneDrive link for the new lessons Jim has prepared recently.

On 8/8/2016 4:25 PM, Kevin Hourigan wrote:

[...]

Hi list, the thing you actually need is a program called windows update assistant, not the media creation tool.  called the microsoft answer desk yesterday and performed the updated installation successfully.  it does't read edge right yet as blind bargains promised, but that might be because both jaws and NVDA must be updated first.  the screen readers maybe have to catch up.  will look for a update for JFW 17 shortly.  other wise everything is still in place.  still have to figure out what the updated cortana can do.

Alan Robbins

Wow, this again is a Nother twist to the update unless you just choose to let windows do it automatically by itself. Where does one find the link to this new option that the excess ability test offered?