Topics

purchasing computer questions

Steve

Hi everyone,

I haven't been computer shopping in 7 years, so feel lost with choices.

I will be teaching someone Jaws, but they first need a computer.

I am looking for a Dell computer, both desktop and laptop.

Top of the line isn't necessary but efficiency is.

I know some computers work better with Jaws than others. I would appreciate some guidance.

Also, now that Microsoft Word isn't on a disc, do you download it after purchase or can a computer already have it installed, as part of the package.

Thank you very much.

Steve

Dan Longmore

HP has worked well for me as a desktop. Dell is a laptop. Depending on the application for this computer don’t skimp on the processor speed or memory. And video card is also helpful for jars. Microsoft word can be downloaded with subscription or activate the trial if it comes on the computer. Not sure the fee for that. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Steve <stever2525@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:47:57 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: purchasing computer questions

Hi everyone,

I know some computers work better with Jaws than others. I would appreciate some guidance.

Also, now that Microsoft Word isn't on a disc, do you download it after purchase or can a computer already have it installed, as part of the package.

Thank you very much.

Steve

Dan Longmore

In addition to my last post, a separate video card is not necessary, but if you can get a little memories such as two gigs set aside for just video Freedom Scientific says this can be helpful to jazz performance. 

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Steve <stever2525@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:47:57 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much.

Steve

Don H

Just found out that HP has discontinued their HP Envy 15t and strong hint soon all Envy models of their laptops will be gone.
Other issue I am coming up against with Dell is the lack of a separate number pad like most HP laptops have when you get to the 15.6 screen size.

Cristóbal

Ah bummer. Have had my 15.6 HP Envy 360 for just over a year and am happy
with it. 1 TB drive, 16 GB ram, i-core 7 processor, etc. The slight numpad
seperation from the rest of the keyboard is nice. Specs are specs, but I try
to stay away from keyboards that are all bunched up.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:23 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: purchasing computer questions

Just found out that HP has discontinued their HP Envy 15t and strong hint
soon all Envy models of their laptops will be gone.
Other issue I am coming up against with Dell is the lack of a separate
number pad like most HP laptops have when you get to the 15.6 screen size.

I have an HP 15-ba011cy laptop with a 15" screen and it has a number pad.  I haven't seen any laptops with 15" or larger screens that don't have a number pad in years.

I've just looked at the Dell website under laptops and even the lowest end Inspiron 15 3000 devices all have number pads.  If you start pushing into the devices that are intentionally "thinnest and lightest" in this class you will lose number pads, but why would one do that unless "thinnest and lightest" is a really important feature to you?

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

David Ingram

Hi, if you're looking for a dell desktop system, might I suggest a quad coare i7 system with 32gb of ram.  For the laptop maybe the I 5 with 32 gb ram.  Check to see if a 1 tb hard drive comes with each, and don't forget about the cd rom drive at least one of them for the desktop and the laptop.This is probably the best that I can suggest for a system depending on how it is going to be used.

Sent: Jul 11, 2018 3:47 PM

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much.

Steve

I agree, my Asus Zenbook with 15 inch screen has a number pad and so does my very old Acer 15 inch laptop.

My suggestion is that you give preference to laptops with an SSD over a traditional hard drive since an SSD will give you a better performance boost than say going from an I5 to an I7 CPU, you would want at least 8Gb of RAM and I would look at either a current or previous generation I5 CPU, if you go with something that doesn’t have the latest it will probably be quite a bit cheaper.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 9:22 PM

I have an HP 15-ba011cy laptop with a 15" screen and it has a number pad.  I haven't seen any laptops with 15" or larger screens that don't have a number pad in years.

I've just looked at the Dell website under laptops and even the lowest end Inspiron 15 3000 devices all have number pads.  If you start pushing into the devices that are intentionally "thinnest and lightest" in this class you will lose number pads, but why would one do that unless "thinnest and lightest" is a really important feature to you?

--

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

RAM is pretty price these days and I doubt for most average computer users there is any benefit in 32Gb of RAM. I have 16Gb in my Asus Zenbook and 1 of my HP EliteDesk mini PC’s and I notice very little difference to my other systems which all have 12Gb.

I feel that if the money is no issue 16Gb is better than 8Gb, but you gain a lot more if you invest the aditional cost for 32Gb and for I7 over I5 into a 256Gb SSD.

Regards,

Sieghard

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Ingram
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 12:38 AM

Hi, if you're looking for a dell desktop system, might I suggest a quad coare i7 system with 32gb of ram.  For the laptop maybe the I 5 with 32 gb ram.  Check to see if a 1 tb hard drive comes with each, and don't forget about the cd rom drive at least one of them for the desktop and the laptop.This is probably the best that I can suggest for a system depending on how it is going to be used.

Sent: Jul 11, 2018 3:47 PM

Don H

Just got off the phone with Dell and only one model of the 15.6 laptop has a separate number pad. If I remember correctly it is the 5000 series. Saw several models of the 15.6 laptop at Sams Club and Best buy and none had a number pad.

On 7/11/2018 11:21 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
--
Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134
/The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment./
          ~ Dorothy Nevill

Why focus on Del alone when there are many other very good laptops out there which have numeric pads.

Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:45 AM

Just got off the phone with Dell and only one model of the 15.6 laptop has a separate number pad. If I remember correctly it is the 5000 series. Saw several models of the 15.6 laptop at Sams Club and Best buy and none had a number pad.

I have an HP 15-ba011cy laptop with a 15" screen and it has a number
pad.  I haven't seen any laptops with 15" or larger screens that don't
have a number pad in years.

I've just looked at the Dell website under laptops and even the lowest
end Inspiron 15 3000 devices all have number pads.  If you start
pushing into the devices that are intentionally "thinnest and
lightest" in this class you will lose number pads, but why would one
do that unless "thinnest and lightest" is a really important feature to you?

--

/The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in
the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting
moment./

~ Dorothy Nevill

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:44 AM, Don H wrote:
Just got off the phone with Dell and only one model of the 15.6 laptop has a separate number pad.
Absolutely, positively incorrect, period.  I already identified the Inspiron 3000 series, which I can see, has a separate number pad as does the Inspiron 15 5000 series as does the G3 15 gaming series.

But, as Sieghard has stated, there are many other options than Dell that have number pads.  I'm typing from an HP 15" model that has one.  Most 15" laptops have a separate number pad.  I walk past the displays in the local WalMart and Staples with great frequency and I haven't seen one without a number pad in a very long time.  It's only when you get into the high-end "ultra sleek and light" 15-inch models that number pads disappear and, even then, not close to always.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 03:47 AM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
I doubt for most average computer users there is any benefit in 32Gb of RAM. I have 16Gb in my Asus Zenbook and 1 of my HP EliteDesk mini PC’s and I notice very little difference to my other systems which all have 12Gb.
Amen Sieghard!!   This machine has 12GB, my other laptop has 8GB, and if you look at the memory use stats during use for virtually any purpose I never come near to topping out the RAM on either.  At this moment, with two instances of Chrome open with over 10 tabs simultaneously open in each and the Hangouts Chrome extension running, and two instances of Firefox running with even more tabs open, I'm using 65% of the 12GB (or the part of it actually available to the end user).

Screen readers themselves don't use all that many resources.   When I fired up NVDA I went from 65% to 66% memory usage.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

paul lemm

Hi,

I have a HP laptop, its got the separate numpad, but the cursor and home , end, page up, down etc. are slightly separated too which I really like. Actually I'm looking at picking up a new laptop since my current one is pretty old, in fact its still running vista, which is showing its age haha. it’s a little off topic , but I'd like to check the specs of my desktop against any new laptops I'm looking at since my desktop runs everything I need really well. Is there an easy way to check my desktop specs? Things like how much ram, what processer, the processer speed etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: 12 July 2018 17:19

Why focus on Del alone when there are many other very good laptops out there which have numeric pads.

Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:45 AM

I have an HP 15-ba011cy laptop with a 15" screen and it has a number
pad. I haven't seen any laptops with 15" or larger screens that don't
have a number pad in years.

I've just looked at the Dell website under laptops and even the lowest
end Inspiron 15 3000 devices all have number pads. If you start
pushing into the devices that are intentionally "thinnest and
lightest" in this class you will lose number pads, but why would one
do that unless "thinnest and lightest" is a really important feature to you?

--

/The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in
the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting
moment./

~ Dorothy Nevill

Paul,

Yes, depending on how much detail you want.   What I'd suggest you try is either Belarc Advisor, or Piriform's Speccy.  Belarc Advisor generates a report that is displayed in your default web browser and the data you want is near the beginning of the report.  I do not know, based on how complex the layout is, how accessible it will be.  Speccy allows you to save a plain text copy of its findings from its File Menu (ALT+F), Save as Text File (T).  If you want to look at one, here's one I just generated for my computer:   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JVvtzpmIEjq-ausO79WpVdBkqYnOV2WT/view?usp=sharing

Speccy will run under Vista, and I think Belarc does, too.

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

paul lemm

Hi Brian,

Thanks for both the links, that was exactly the type of thing I was after. I tried both programs, they were both really good, but I liked the speccy one most as like you said it was easier to navigate. Anyways thanks for the help that’s given me all my specs , which gives me an idea of the kind of specs I’ll be aiming for in my new laptop.

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 12 July 2018 23:02

Paul,

Yes, depending on how much detail you want.   What I'd suggest you try is either Belarc Advisor, or Piriform's Speccy.  Belarc Advisor generates a report that is displayed in your default web browser and the data you want is near the beginning of the report.  I do not know, based on how complex the layout is, how accessible it will be.  Speccy allows you to save a plain text copy of its findings from its File Menu (ALT+F), Save as Text File (T).  If you want to look at one, here's one I just generated for my computer:   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JVvtzpmIEjq-ausO79WpVdBkqYnOV2WT/view?usp=sharing

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Paul,

If your prior laptop dates from the Windows Vista era you could buy virtually any current laptop, even at the low end, and it will blow the doors off your current one, and at a far lower cost.

Depending on how much data you keep on your machine, or wish to keep on the machine for immediate access, one of the things that will increase processing speed most radically is a solid state drive (SSD) as opposed to a HDD.  For those who don't want to purchase a dual drive system, as those are very expensive, I know many who will get a relatively small SSD and then routinely offload things like photos and/or music to an external backup HDD, as those are not accessed all that often and the speeds on a HDD for playing music is more than adequate.

Any operating system is doing a lot of input-output on a constant basis to the drive on which it resides, which is why even in dual drive systems the SSD is always used as the drive on which the OS resides.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

Cristóbal

Belarc is fully accessible. Neat little program.

Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:02 PM

Paul,

--

~ Dorothy Nevill

paul lemm

Hi Brian,

yep,  you’re right I’d be hard pushed to find something slower than my vista machine haha, its definitely well over due for replacing. Thanks for the info on SSD, I don’t plan on using the laptop for storage so I think I’ll end up going down the SSD route, since my desktop has a pretty big hard drive all my main stuff gets stored there. anyway, thanks for the help.

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 12 July 2018 23:43

Paul,

If your prior laptop dates from the Windows Vista era you could buy virtually any current laptop, even at the low end, and it will blow the doors off your current one, and at a far lower cost.

Depending on how much data you keep on your machine, or wish to keep on the machine for immediate access, one of the things that will increase processing speed most radically is a solid state drive (SSD) as opposed to a HDD.  For those who don't want to purchase a dual drive system, as those are very expensive, I know many who will get a relatively small SSD and then routinely offload things like photos and/or music to an external backup HDD, as those are not accessed all that often and the speeds on a HDD for playing music is more than adequate.

Any operating system is doing a lot of input-output on a constant basis to the drive on which it resides, which is why even in dual drive systems the SSD is always used as the drive on which the OS resides.
--

~ Dorothy Nevill

paul lemm

Hi Cristóbal,

Yes, I agree Belarc is definitely fully accessible and gave lots of detailed info/specs about my machine. I just found  speccy  slightly easier to navigate  and read, but again that’s not to say Belarc wasn’t accessible , just from a personal preference I  liked speccy a little more.

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Cristóbal
Sent: 13 July 2018 00:08

Belarc is fully accessible. Neat little program.

Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 3:02 PM

Paul,

--

~ Dorothy Nevill