From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Steve <stever2525@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:47:57 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: purchasing computer questions

Hi everyone,

I haven't been computer shopping in 7 years, so feel lost with choices.

I will be teaching someone Jaws, but they first need a computer.

I am looking for a Dell computer, both desktop and laptop.

Top of the line isn't necessary but efficiency is.

I know some computers work better with Jaws than others. I would appreciate some guidance.

Also, now that Microsoft Word isn't on a disc, do you download it after purchase or can a computer already have it installed, as part of the package.

Thank you very much.

Steve

Dan Longmore

 In addition to my last post, a separate video card is not necessary, but if you can get a little memories such as two gigs set aside for just video Freedom Scientific says this can be helpful to jazz performance.

I haven't been computer shopping in 7 years, so feel lost with choices.

I will be teaching someone Jaws, but they first need a computer.

I am looking for a Dell computer, both desktop and laptop.

Top of the line isn't necessary but efficiency is.

I know some computers work better with Jaws than others. I would appreciate some guidance.

Also, now that Microsoft Word isn't on a disc, do you download it after purchase or can a computer already have it installed, as part of the package.

Thank you very much.

Steve

Don H

Just found out that HP has discontinued their HP Envy 15t and strong hint soon all Envy models of their laptops will be gone.
Other issue I am coming up against with Dell is the lack of a separate number pad like most HP laptops have when you get to the 15.6 screen size.

Cristóbal

Ah bummer. Have had my 15.6 HP Envy 360 for just over a year and am happy
with it. 1 TB drive, 16 GB ram, i-core 7 processor, etc. The slight numpad
seperation from the rest of the keyboard is nice. Specs are specs, but I try
to stay away from keyboards that are all bunched up.

Just found out that HP has discontinued their HP Envy 15t and strong hint
soon all Envy models of their laptops will be gone.
Other issue I am coming up against with Dell is the lack of a separate
number pad like most HP laptops have when you get to the 15.6 screen size.

I have an HP 15-ba011cy laptop with a 15" screen and it has a number pad.  I haven't seen any laptops with 15" or larger screens that don't have a number pad in years.

I've just looked at the Dell website under laptops and even the lowest end Inspiron 15 3000 devices all have number pads.  If you start pushing into the devices that are intentionally "thinnest and lightest" in this class you will lose number pads, but why would one do that unless "thinnest and lightest" is a really important feature to you?

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

David Ingram

Hi, if you're looking for a dell desktop system, might I suggest a quad coare i7 system with 32gb of ram.  For the laptop maybe the I 5 with 32 gb ram.  Check to see if a 1 tb hard drive comes with each, and don't forget about the cd rom drive at least one of them for the desktop and the laptop.This is probably the best that I can suggest for a system depending on how it is going to be used.

I haven't been computer shopping in 7 years, so feel lost with choices.

I will be teaching someone Jaws, but they first need a computer.

I am looking for a Dell computer, both desktop and laptop.

Top of the line isn't necessary but efficiency is.

I know some computers work better with Jaws than others. I would appreciate some guidance.

Also, now that Microsoft Word isn't on a disc, do you download it after purchase or can a computer already have it installed, as part of the package.

Thank you very much.

Steve

I agree, my Asus Zenbook with 15 inch screen has a number pad and so does my very old Acer 15 inch laptop.

My suggestion is that you give preference to laptops with an SSD over a traditional hard drive since an SSD will give you a better performance boost than say going from an I5 to an I7 CPU, you would want at least 8Gb of RAM and I would look at either a current or previous generation I5 CPU, if you go with something that doesn’t have the latest it will probably be quite a bit cheaper.

Regards,

Sieghard

I have an HP 15-ba011cy laptop with a 15" screen and it has a number pad.  I haven't seen any laptops with 15" or larger screens that don't have a number pad in years.

I've just looked at the Dell website under laptops and even the lowest end Inspiron 15 3000 devices all have number pads.  If you start pushing into the devices that are intentionally "thinnest and lightest" in this class you will lose number pads, but why would one do that unless "thinnest and lightest" is a really important feature to you?

          ~ Dorothy Nevill

RAM is pretty price these days and I doubt for most average computer users there is any benefit in 32Gb of RAM. I have 16Gb in my Asus Zenbook and 1 of my HP EliteDesk mini PC’s and I notice very little difference to my other systems which all have 12Gb.

I feel that if the money is no issue 16Gb is better than 8Gb, but you gain a lot more if you invest the aditional cost for 32Gb and for I7 over I5 into a 256Gb SSD.

Regards,

Sieghard