Topics

Search for emails in outlook 2016

John J. Fioravanti, Jr.

Hello: I am using Windows 10, Outlook 2016 and the newest version of Jaws 2018. Up until a week ago, if I was in outlook and hit control+E, and typed in a search term or email, the items in the search requested would show up and I could simply look at those respective emails. Recently, however, when I type control+e, I see the following if I tab across: Search query; Clos search button; menu current mailbox submenu; by date button (to activate press space bar); newest on top, (to activate press space bar); and sometimes I see: all (check box checked).
My sighted assistant says that the search terms are showing up and being found, however, jaws isn't showing me them. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

ely.r@...

Glad or should I say, sad, to see you have the same issue. This is true for other screen readers as well. I have some vision and combine Windows Magnifier with a screen reader. If I figure out a keyboard solution, I'll post it. Honestly, I use Office 365 and the change in that search feature has been a recent update to Outlook. I have searched for ways to revert to the simple form but have had no luck. I will post to another screen reader list to see if there are proffered key approaches or other solutions.
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John J. Fioravanti, Jr.
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 10:43 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Search for emails in outlook 2016

Hello: I am using Windows 10, Outlook 2016 and the newest version of Jaws 2018. Up until a week ago, if I was in outlook and hit control+E, and typed in a search term or email, the items in the search requested would show up and I could simply look at those respective emails. Recently, however, when I type control+e, I see the following if I tab across: Search query; Clos search button; menu current mailbox submenu; by date button (to activate press space bar); newest on top, (to activate press space bar); and sometimes I see: all (check box checked).
My sighted assistant says that the search terms are showing up and being found, however, jaws isn't showing me them. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Jim Fettgather

Although not as streamlined, I can still use Control Shift F in Outlook 2016 to search using various criteria, perform the search, and press F6 to show the search results.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of ely.r@...
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 10:34 AM
Subject: Re: Search for emails in outlook 2016

Glad or should I say, sad, to see you have the same issue. This is true for other screen readers as well. I have some vision and combine Windows Magnifier with a screen reader. If I figure out a keyboard solution, I'll post it. Honestly, I use Office 365 and the change in that search feature has been a recent update to Outlook. I have searched for ways to revert to the simple form but have had no luck. I will post to another screen reader list to see if there are proffered key approaches or other solutions.
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of John J. Fioravanti, Jr.

Thanks.

ely.r@...

Jim,
Thanks for that. Way simpler than the new "improved" method.
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Fettgather
Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 1:01 PM

Although not as streamlined, I can still use Control Shift F in Outlook 2016 to search using various criteria, perform the search, and press F6 to show the search results.

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Thanks.

Control+E and then typing a search word still works fine for me. After I type my search word I press Shift+Tab once and I am immediately in my now reduced list of messages which match what I am searching for.

Sent: Saturday, July 7, 2018 10:50 AM

Jim,
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Thanks.

Gudrun Brunot

Hi all; I've used the control-e search as well, but that seems to only search in the in box. I should add that I'm stil using Outlook 2010 with JAWS 2018 .

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2018 11:16 AM

Control+E and then typing a search word still works fine for me. After I type my search word I press Shift+Tab once and I am immediately in my now reduced list of messages which match what I am searching for.

Jim,
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Thanks.

If I am in the inbox of any of my 3 accounts and search using Control+E the results that come up also include messages from other folders in that account.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gudrun Brunot
Sent: Sunday, July 8, 2018 11:27 AM

Hi all; I've used the control-e search as well, but that seems to only search in the in box. I should add that I'm stil using Outlook 2010 with JAWS 2018 .

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel

Jim,
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Thanks.

Tom Behler

Hello.

Can someone tell me what results you get when using control E, and shift/control F for doing e-mail searches?

Do you get the same results for either command, or are they different?

Am using Jaws 2018, Outlook 2016 in Office 365, and Windows 7 here.

Have had considerable success here with shift control F.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, July 08, 2018 2:30 PM

If I am in the inbox of any of my 3 accounts and search using Control+E the results that come up also include messages from other folders in that account.

Jim,
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Thanks.

Jason White

In addition, there's a button that will search all mail folders. I also suggest looking in the search tab of the ribbon for further options. It's the selected tab when you're entering a search, if I remember correctly.

My personal Windows machine is having stability problems at the moment, so I would rather not test this right now.

´╗┐On 7/8/18, 14:30, "Sieghard Weitzel" <main@jfw.groups.io on behalf of @Sieghard> wrote:

Jim,
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road
Florence, MA 01062
&413() 727-3038

Thanks.