Topics

Jfw and PDF files

Morne van der Merwe <mornevdmerwe@...>

Hello listers,

I’m a new user of JAWS, so please forgive if this question has already been asked.

I’m using the latest version of JAWS and Windows 10.

I tried to read PDF documents with Microsoft Edge and JAWS with no success.  Then I tried to set the default program (Acrobat Reader) via the control pannel also with no success.  The only defaults I get to change is for music, email and videos but no option to change the default PDF to Acrobat Reader DC.  There’s another screen reader wich works with Edge, but I do prefer to use JAWS.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Kind regards

Morné

If you open a PDF file in Adobe and it is not the default it should ask what app you want to use for PDF files and you should be able to select Adobe and tell it to always use it. Otherwise you can go to Settings > Apps > Default apps and click on “Select app by file type” or something very similar to that. It will take a bit of time for this screen to open and you unfortunately have to tab through to “PDF”, the list is alphabetical and it is a lot of tabbing. Anyways, if you currently have Edge selected as the default, once you get to PDF it will says something like “PDF, Edge button”, press the spacebar and tab to Adobe DC, then press enter and Adobe will be selected as the default app to open PDF files. Keep in mind that obviously Adobe has to be first installed on the system.

Regards,

Sieghard

I’m a new user of JAWS, so please forgive if this question has already been asked.

I’m using the latest version of JAWS and Windows 10.

I tried to read PDF documents with Microsoft Edge and JAWS with no success.  Then I tried to set the default program (Acrobat Reader) via the control pannel also with no success.  The only defaults I get to change is for music, email and videos but no option to change the default PDF to Acrobat Reader DC.  There’s another screen reader wich works with Edge, but I do prefer to use JAWS.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Kind regards

Morné

Mike B. <mike9902@...>

Hi Morné,

Jaws 2018 has the ability to read PDF files as well.  Highlight the PDF file, but don't open it, open the context menu by pressing the applications / context menu key or shift + F10, arrow down to, Recognize with Jaws or something similar, and press enter.

Take Care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.

I’m a new user of JAWS, so please forgive if this question has already been asked.

I’m using the latest version of JAWS and Windows 10.

I tried to read PDF documents with Microsoft Edge and JAWS with no success.  Then I tried to set the default program (Acrobat Reader) via the control pannel also with no success.  The only defaults I get to change is for music, email and videos but no option to change the default PDF to Acrobat Reader DC.  There’s another screen reader wich works with Edge, but I do prefer to use JAWS.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Kind regards

Morné

Morne van der Merwe <mornevdmerwe@...>

Thanks for all the help. Much apreciated.

[...]

What mike describes is Jaws OCR and it is great for image/inaccessible PDF’s, but if a PDF is accessible it is much better to open it in Adobe and let Jaws read it, often larger PDF documents have links and headings which are usually lost with Jaws OCR.

[...]

Jason White

The PDF reader included in Google Chrome gave me quite acceptable results as well, when I last tried it.

For PDF files that contain only images of text, ABBYY FineReader can perform the OCR and convert the document, styles and formatting included, into HTML or Microsoft Word format. It’s very good for handling, for example, papers from journals that are supplied only as images in PDF files.

From: <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>
Date: Sunday, July 8, 2018 at 13:52
To: "main@jfw.groups.io" <main@jfw.groups.io>

[...]

Ann Byrne

I was surprised that I could go to open-with and open a .pdf in Word. Awesome!

At 12:51 PM 7/8/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Bill White

Yes, but I still don't think that will help you if it's an image pdf file.
You'll still need to use a program like Open Book or Kurzweil to do an OCR
scan. I don't think you will be able to read an image in Word.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

I’m a new user of JAWS, so please forgive if
this question has already been asked.

I’m using the latest version of JAWS and Windows 10.

I tried to read PDF documents with Microsoft
Edge and JAWS with no success. Then I tried to
set the default program (Acrobat Reader) via the
control pannel also with no success. The only
defaults I get to change is for music, email and
videos but no option to change the default PDF
to Acrobat Reader DC. There’s another screen
reader wich works with Edge, but I do prefer to use JAWS.

Any advice would be apreciated.

Kind regards
Morné

Ann Byrne

Actually, to my surprise, it converted the image to text.

At 07:43 PM 7/8/2018, you wrote:
[...]

That's a surprise to me, too.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...