From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of BlindedByTheLight
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 8:21 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: retrying downloads in Firefox

All,

Sometimes when downloading files in Firefox, I receive a "Failed" notification in my downloads list. JAWS reads the name of the file, the word "Failed", the time of the download, and the word Retry. I have tried several ways to get to this retry button (applications key, Shift-F10, tab, even Control+R), but cannot figure out how to access this button/link/option. The JAWS cursor nor OCR even seem to read the downloads list, seemingly because the font is too small.

I know I can go back to a place and simply restart the download manually, but it would be convenient to know how to get to this option from within the downloads list.

Anyone ever succeeded with this in JAWS?

Hope I am not missing something obvious!

Thank you as always!

Mike

cecropia64

I have using Firefox.  I just used the tab key and it got me to the retry button.  Usually works out fine for me

On 7/4/2018 8:42 AM, Sharon wrote:
Have you tried right and left arrow?
Who knows if that would work?
Sharon

Sometimes when downloading files in Firefox, I receive a "Failed" notification in my downloads list. JAWS reads the name of the file, the word "Failed", the time of the download, and the word Retry. I have tried several ways to get to this retry button (applications key, Shift-F10, tab, even Control+R), but cannot figure out how to access this button/link/option. The JAWS cursor nor OCR even seem to read the downloads list, seemingly because the font is too small.

I know I can go back to a place and simply restart the download manually, but it would be convenient to know how to get to this option from within the downloads list.

Anyone ever succeeded with this in JAWS?

Hope I am not missing something obvious!

Thank you as always!

Mike

BlindedByTheLight

Hi and thank you,
Tab nor using the left and right arrows neither one work for me. I am using the latest version of JAWS 64-bit, and Firefox 52.9.0 (64-bit) (perhaps I need to upgrade). Oh, and using Windows 10.

Interesting how some things work for one but not for another.

Sometimes when downloading files in Firefox, I receive a "Failed" notification in my downloads list. JAWS reads the name of the file, the word "Failed", the time of the download, and the word Retry. I have tried several ways to get to this retry button (applications key, Shift-F10, tab, even Control+R), but cannot figure out how to access this button/link/option. The JAWS cursor nor OCR even seem to read the downloads list, seemingly because the font is too small.

I know I can go back to a place and simply restart the download manually, but it would be convenient to know how to get to this option from within the downloads list.

Anyone ever succeeded with this in JAWS?

Hope I am not missing something obvious!

Thank you as always!

Mike

cecropia64

One thing though.  I'm now using Firefox 60 and haven't had to use the retry because I haven't had problems with downloads.  Just figured I'd put that in there.

On 7/4/2018 10:08 AM, BlindedByTheLight wrote:
[...]

Mario

did you try pressing the application key or shift+f10 to see if there's
a resume command to enter on? if you have more than one failed download,
you'd have to arrow to each download and press the appropriate keystroke.

the other way is to use the screen reader's review mode to see if you
can "click" on retry or resume.

while the downloads are shown, if you use JAWS, you can also try using
the virtualized window or the convenient OCR to see if you can "click"
on the retry or resume.

Sometimes when downloading files in Firefox, I receive a "Failed"
notification in my downloads list. JAWS reads the name of the file, the
word "Failed", the time of the download, and the word Retry. I have
tried several ways to get to this retry button (applications key,
Shift-F10, tab, even Control+R), but cannot figure out how to access
this button/link/option. The JAWS cursor nor OCR even seem to read the
downloads list, seemingly because the font is too small.

I know I can go back to a place and simply restart the download
manually, but it would be convenient to know how to get to this option
from within the downloads list.

Anyone ever succeeded with this in JAWS?

Hope I am not missing something obvious!

Thank you as always!

Mike

.

Ashleigh Piccinino

Did you try the touch cursor

On Jul 4, 2018, at 7:20 AM, BlindedByTheLight <blindedbythelight@...> wrote:

All,

Sometimes when downloading files in Firefox, I receive a "Failed" notification in my downloads list. JAWS reads the name of the file, the word "Failed", the time of the download, and the word Retry. I have tried several ways to get to this retry button (applications key, Shift-F10, tab, even Control+R), but cannot figure out how to access this button/link/option. The JAWS cursor nor OCR even seem to read the downloads list, seemingly because the font is too small.

I know I can go back to a place and simply restart the download manually, but it would be convenient to know how to get to this option from within the downloads list.

Anyone ever succeeded with this in JAWS?

Hope I am not missing something obvious!

Thank you as always!

Mike

That might help

Ashleigh Piccinino

I was thinking the touch cursor would help.