Topics

moderated backstage view in Office 2016

Van Lant, Robin

I’m brand new to Office 2016.  Can someone explain or point me to something that explains the backstage view?  I could not figure out how to even save a Word document with that thing enabled.  I found a place in the Word options to hide the backstage view when saving files, but I do not know if I am giving up some benefit by having it off.  Even if it is hidden during a Save, it seems to still come up when I try to do Save As.

I’m also confused by how the Recent files section seems to have changed from Office 2010.  I heavily relied on Pinned items in my Recent Files list to access common files.  Any guidance?

Robin Van Lant |  Sr. Program Manager

Key Equipment Finance |  720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Nino Dagostino

To save a word document in office2016 press the f12 key.

I turned off backstage view and all is well.

Have a good day.

I’m brand new to Office 2016.  Can someone explain or point me to something that explains the backstage view?  I could not figure out how to even save a Word document with that thing enabled.  I found a place in the Word options to hide the backstage view when saving files, but I do not know if I am giving up some benefit by having it off.  Even if it is hidden during a Save, it seems to still come up when I try to do Save As.

I’m also confused by how the Recent files section seems to have changed from Office 2010.  I heavily relied on Pinned items in my Recent Files list to access common files.  Any guidance?

Robin Van Lant |  Sr. Program Manager

Key Equipment Finance |  720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Ann Byrne

If you use f12 for save-as, the backstage view doesn't come up.

At 02:09 AM 6/29/2018, you wrote:
I'm brand new to Office 2016. Can someone explain or point me to something that explains the backstage view? I could not figure out how to even save a Word document with that thing enabled. I found a place in the Word options to hide the backstage view when saving files, but I do not know if I am giving up some benefit by having it off. Even if it is hidden during a Save, it seems to still come up when I try to do Save As.

I'm also confused by how the Recent files section seems to have changed from Office 2010. I heavily relied on Pinned items in my Recent Files list to access common files. Any guidance?

Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager
Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Richard Turner

If you go into the file menu, Options, you can turn off the Backstage view, then you can go back to using control-s to save a document.
It is some visual thing that is useless to screen reader users.
Richard

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain

At 02:09 AM 6/29/2018, you wrote:
I'm brand new to Office 2016.  Can someone explain or point me to something that explains the backstage view?  I could not figure out how to even save a Word document with that thing enabled.  I found a place in the Word options to hide the backstage view when saving files, but I do not know if I am giving up some benefit by having it off.  Even if it is hidden during a Save, it seems to still come up when I try to do Save As.

I'm also confused by how the Recent files section seems to have changed from Office 2010.  I heavily relied on Pinned items in my Recent Files list to access common files.  Any guidance?

Robin Van Lant |  Sr. Program Manager
Key Equipment Finance |  720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Mario

press alt for the ribbon bar, then f for file and t for options.
down arrow to the save category.
press tab until you get to the Don’t show backstage view when saving or
opening files option and spacebar to check it.
press tab or shift+tab to the ok button and spacebar on it.

At 02:09 AM 6/29/2018, you wrote:
I'm brand new to Office 2016. Can someone explain or point me to
something that explains the backstage view? I could not figure out how
to even save a Word document with that thing enabled. I found a place
in the Word options to hide the backstage view when saving files, but I
do not know if I am giving up some benefit by having it off. Even if it
is hidden during a Save, it seems to still come up when I try to do Save As.

I'm also confused by how the Recent files section seems to have changed
from Office 2010. I heavily relied on Pinned items in my Recent Files
list to access common files. Any guidance?

Robin Van Lant | Sr. Program Manager
Key Equipment Finance | 720-304-1060

information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from
disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If
you received this communication in error, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic
or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal
information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or
redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the
services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional
E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

While I turn off backstage and the start screen, I agree that F12 for saving is a much nicer dialogue as Control+S and the same goes for opening files, much easier to use Control+F12 rather than File > Open.

At 02:09 AM 6/29/2018, you wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the F12 recommendation. That will be a sanity saver for sure. I did turn off the back-stage on save and open, but it still shows up if I need to do a Save As to change the file name, which I often do at work. F12 seems to work for this.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 07:41 am, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
much easier to use Control+F12 rather than File > Open.
Just to "complete the circle" you can use CTRL+O for Open just as you can use CTRL+S to Save.  These are both commands of MS-Office programs, and probably a lot more, as hitting CTRL+S here in Chrome also opens the save dialog, but what it wants to save is an HTML file.  CTRL+O also brings up an Open dialog in Chrome.

         ~ Mark Twain

But the are not exactly the same dialogue as F12/Control+F12.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 01:05 pm, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
But the are not exactly the same dialogue as F12/Control+F12.
When I hit F12 or CTRL+S in MS-Office 2010, or at least Word and Excel, I get a Save As dialog.  If I hit CTRL+F12 or CTRL+O I get an open dialog.  They are each identical, respectively, for the keystrokes that invoke them, which only makes sense.

I hope I made clear that the dialogs themselves are not the same when you cross programs, but that the same sort of dialog for the program that has focus seems to open regardless of what that program happens to be, at least when the CTRL+ commands are used.  The F12/CTRL+F12 outside Office can lead one down some interesting roads, or nowhere.

         ~ Mark Twain