moderated "Clickable" WHAT?

Hello All,

         I want to state before going any further that I did search the forum archive and while there was a lot of material out there complaining about the endless announcement of clickable on webpages, but nothing that seemed to explain why or how to resolve it.  If I missed it and this turns out to be an unwelcome rerun I apologize in advance.

         I am working with JAWS 2018 and the latest version of Firefox.  The pages in question are the individual item pages in the McMaster Carr online catalog (mcmaster.com).  Additional questions, but unrelated to the "clickable" issue, will be coming.

         While there are certain elements on the page, particularly search result narrowing items on the left side of the page, really are "clickable" and that how I activate them when I want to include only results that include the attribute(s) in question, virtually every row and column of a table that gives dimensional or feature information for the item is being announced as "clickable" and it absolutely is not in any meaningful sense of that word.

          Can anyone tell me:

                 1.  What on earth is being indicated by saying "clickable" on text that, when one clicks on it, has absolutely no effect?  It's just plain text.

                 2.  Why anything that isn't clickable in the conventional sense of "you click it and some action will be performed" is being called such?

                 3.  How to get this insane flooding of "clickable" announcements to stop?

An example of the sort of page where you get endless "clickable" announcements from JAWS is for any one of the individual tie-down products on this McMaster Carr webpage:  https://www.mcmaster.com/#cargo-tie-downs/=1dgh56u     I believe it was also occurring on a single product description page, too, e.g., https://www.mcmaster.com/#8840t561/=1dgh5xg where the table on the page is having "clickable" announced on each and every item as one is walked through it.

Thank you in advance for any insights you have to offer.  This is entirely new "weird behavior" territory for me, particularly on the scale at which it's occurring.

         ~ Mark Twain

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Brian. I think that the problem of JAWS saying clickable is brought about because the descriptions are bracketed by some sort of graphics on the web page. The following is the only workaround I have seen to prevent this, and involves turning off the attribute element identification in Internet Explorer.

In Settings Center under the Web / HTML / PDFs category, there is a subcategory labeled Miscellaneous.

Under Miscellaneous there is a setting labeled Indicate Element Attribute.

Unchecking this setting will stop Jaws from saying Clickable

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thanks Bill.  Given how distracting, and generally useless and misleading, the "Clickable" designation is I'd far rather it be off on the rare occasions where it might be accurate and helpful than on with the resultant auditory diarrhea.

         ~ Mark Twain

HH. Smith Jr.

Hey Brian,

I visited the said links and I didn’t find or hear  “clickable”

[...]

My Bad, I was using I.E. using Firefox now. Sorry for that.

[...]

Nermin

Hi Brian,

you can open your browser of choice and change the setting “announce attributes”. Experiment with that and see if turning it off will get rid of “clickable”. I would suspect that this is a poorly designed site and that they just overdid it.
Usually, you activate clickable elements just like you would with any link, i.e. by pressing enter or a cursor routing buttun on a Braille display.
The mouse over stuff one can hear on certain pages is a bit different, since you activate that with Control+JAWSKey+Enter. JAWS will tell you that line x has changed, and you can hen jump to the respective line using the quick key j.
Also, try experimenting with sound assignment for attributes, that will get rid of the announcement but you will still be alerted to clickable elements.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Nermin

[...]

Leedy Diane Bomar

Is it possible that “clicking” on an item in the list opens an image?
What happens with a right click?
Also, I really apppreciate the clear detail and links in your message.
What happens with other browsers?
Have you looked at the source code or changed the temporary JAWS settings, (JAWS-V), Quick Settings, Text links options?
I am sure that others on this list know more about this, than I, but, just wanted to throw out those suggestions.
HTH,
Diane Bomar

Diane,

           I appreciate your having taken the time to offer these suggestions.

           What I want to make clear is that, since I can see the objects (very often just plain text) being announced as "Clickable," and have tried actually clicking on them to see if that does anything, I am absolutely certain that most of the "Clickable" announcements are being made about things that are not, in actuality, clickable.  Or, I guess I should say you can click on them but doing so has no effect whatsoever.  It's quite bizarre and I'd love to know the whats & whys of the clickable announcement.  As it stands it makes absolutely no functional sense in most cases where it occurs.

         ~ Mark Twain

Mario

I often wonder what function those elements that are "clickable" that
don't do anything really provide? I wish webmasters/authors would stop
using "clickable" element, or properly use them if they really need to
use it for their website. it's very annoying to have to hear clickable
announced almost through out a website when they don't do anything.

           I appreciate your having taken the time to offer these
suggestions.

           What I want to make clear is that, since I can see the
objects (very often just plain text) being announced as "Clickable," and
have tried actually clicking on them to see if that does anything, I am
absolutely certain that most of the "Clickable" announcements are being
made about things that are not, in actuality, clickable.  Or, I guess I
should say you can click on them but doing so has no effect whatsoever.
It's quite bizarre and I'd love to know the whats & whys of the
clickable announcement.  As it stands it makes absolutely no functional
sense in most cases where it occurs.

    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and
many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome,
charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in
one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

        ~ Mark Twain

Mario,

           It's beyond annoying, it's misleading.  I wonder if some of this isn't the result of a setting used in the webpage editors that folks are using.  Very few people code HTML from scratch these days and all of us here know that for any complex piece of software there are settings that we have never visited and probably never will.

           That's my guess, as I can't imagine making the conscious decision to make an element clickable when actually clicking on it accomplishes nothing.

         ~ Mark Twain

Ashleigh Piccinino

Maybe it might be something with his drawl settings him out my check those out

On Jun 26, 2018, at 11:10 PM, HH. Smith Jr. <josham129@...> wrote:

[...]

What are drawl settings???

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 11:06 am, Bill White wrote:
What are drawl settings???
Maybe they make the voice sound Southern.  ;-)

         ~ Mark Twain

Ashleigh Piccinino

Sorry about that dictation messed up I said draws settings

On Jul 7, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

What are drawl settings???

Bill White

billwhite92701@...