moderated Checking remaining battery power

Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...>

Hello listers,

Please help –

I have a laptop and want to know – step by step please - how to find out how much battery power is left before I have to charge it again. Also, does the machine have to be off and plugged in to charge, or will it charge while plugged in and is in use?

Many thanks.

Marilyn

Tom Behler

Marilyn:

When using my Windows 7 laptop with Jaws 2018 here, I hit shift capslock B. … This will give me the percentage of charge left in my battery.  If the computer is plugged in, it will indicate that the battery is charging.

The battery will charge while using your computer when plugged in.  However, it is good  to occasionally unplug the laptop in order to let the battery cycle through a charge to preserve its life as long as possible.

Tom Behler

I have a laptop and want to know – step by step please - how to find out how much battery power is left before I have to charge it again. Also, does the machine have to be off and plugged in to charge, or will it charge while plugged in and is in use?

Many thanks.

Marilyn

Marilyn Bland <tinkerbelltx@...>

Tom,

I am using Windows 7 and JAWS 17 latest update. Will the 3 keystrokes still be the same? I tried, but without success.

[...]

Yes, they should work.

Be sure to press the shift and shift lock key simultaneously, followed by the letter B. as in bravo.

Let us know if this still does not work for you.

Tom Behler

[...]

Well, still no luck. I have pressed the shift keys on both the left and right of the keyboard together with caps lock and then the letter b. The only thing that happens is that caps lock on and the b is announced, along with a little beep sound to indicate caps on or off.

Should I be arrowing to somewhere or should the percentage just be announced?

Thanks.

Marilyn

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Marilyn. It sounds as if your capslock key is not the same as your JAWS key. What you need to do is press your JAWS key plus the Shift key plus B.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Bill,

That worked. I hear A C connected. Battery power etc. What does A C connected mean?

Thanks.

Marilyn

[...]

AC connected means that your computer is plugged in and is not running on battery power.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Ann Byrne

Another way to find your battery percentage is with JAWSkey+f11. it is in the system tray with a list of other information.

Windows key+b will also access the system tray, although it calls it "notification chevron".

At 09:40 PM 6/25/2018, you wrote:
Tom,

Well, still no luck. I have pressed the shift keys on both the left and right of the keyboard together with caps lock and then the letter b. The only thing that happens is that caps lock on and the b is announced, along with a little beep sound to indicate caps on or off.

Should I be arrowing to somewhere or should the percentage just be announced?

Thanks.

Marilyn

Be sure to press the shift and shift lock key simultaneously, followed by the letter B. as in bravo.

Let us know if this still does not work for you.

Tom Behler

I am using Windows 7 and JAWS 17 latest update. Will the 3 keystrokes still be the same? I tried, but without success.

Thanks.

Marilyn

When using my Windows 7 laptop with Jaws 2018 here, I hit shift capslock B. … This will give me the percentage of chharge left in my battery. If the computer is plugged in, it will indicate that the battery is charging.