moderated Can I Copy & print just the table in a web site?

Peter Tesar

Hello Groups,

My financial web site has important information in a table with 5 columns and 30 rows. This would fit on a single page if I could print only the table. I would like to select, copy and paste it into Word and then print it, with the columns and rows preserved.

The Web page has a “Print Page” button but it prints all of the 4 pages.

I know that Jaws uses the virtual cursor in order to simplify readability. This means that each column item is on a separate line.

I have tried these 2 Quick Setting options (for Firefox 52ESR):

  Select and copy from the virtual cursor

and

  Select and copy full content using onscreen highlight

Using both settings, I have selected from the beginning of the table, using shift plus down-arrow, to select 30 rows, and then copying to the clipboard. 30 is not enough for the whole table but just enough for sample purposes.

Pasting the clipboard into Word results in each column entry on a separate line.

Is there a way to select and copy only the table and have it appear in Word as a multi column table?

If this is possible, then Word would probably print it in a table structure.

Is there another way without using Word?

Thanks,

Peter T.

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Peter,

Try this. On the top or beginning of each table JAWS announces the number of rows and columns in the table. On this announcement press F8. Then control+C and only the table will be selected and copied. HTH

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

And only the table “should be” selected and copied. I find this feature sometimes works great and other times it does not. What makes it work or what makes it not work I don’t know.

[...]

Try using the paste feature in the context menu Shift + F10 or app key. For best results, choose one of the paste option. That usually works for me.

[...]

Shannon

Hello,

I thought I might try this out on my credit card site, Citicards.com

I am in the table of  Charges and hear the rows and columns.

I pressed F8 and I heard a number of charactors selected but pressing ctrl C gets nothing at all. Jaws  2018 stays silent.

I went to paste this into excel and nothing at all was actually copied to the clipboard.

I tried refreshing the buffer with insert escape but it didn’t help.

I am using chrome as the browser.

Does this not work in chrome?

Thanks

Shannon

[...]

Jerry Berrier <jerry.berrier@...>

You have to be on the very top line of the table to use it.

It’s the line that says how many columns and rows there are in the table.

So if you hit t for table, you should be in the right place.

I just tried it with Chrome running Windows 7. On one table it worked fine, but on a different one I could not get it to copy to the clipboard.  No idea why.

Jerry Berrier

Director of Education Technology

Perkins School for the Blind
175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
P: 617-972-7826
Perkins.org

Perkins School for the Blind Logo

Facebook Link IconTwitter Link IconInstagram Link IconLinkedIn Link IconPinterest Link Icon