Topics

moderated Opening a link in a new tab from the "List of Links" dialog

Can this be done?

I tried CTRL plus hitting enter to activate the link, but it always replaces the contents of the tab that had focus when you invoked the "show list of links" dialog with INS+F7.

I would like to be able to imitate what can be done with CTRL+Left Click in a tabbed browser, which forces the link clicked upon to open in a new tab, but I'll be darned if I can figure out a way when the link selection is occurring via the list of links dialog.

Even if it can be stated, definitively, that this cannot be done then I can come up with a workaround.  When you're trying to read a newspaper it's a lot easier to open the articles of potential interest in their own tabs so that one can go back to "the front page" or "the main page of the sports section" or similar than it is to keep having to reload them and start all over again.

         ~ Mark Twain

Brice Mijares <bricemijares@...>

Isn't that done in the browser settings?

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 02:58 pm, Brice Mijares wrote:
Isn't that done in the browser settings?
No.  You're thinking of the setting that says to open what would normally open in its own window to open in a tab instead.  That's already taken care of.

To force a clicked link to open in a new tab "the sighted way" before you click on it you hold down CTRL.  If one is actually sitting on the webpage itself in a screen reader you hold down CTRL before you hit Enter to activate the link.  However, since one is often not sitting in the webpage, but in the "list of links" dialog when the activation takes place I'm wondering if there's a way to force opening in a new link when doing so from the dialog.  I have yet to find it.

It would be interesting to know if one can force a link to open in it's own window out of the "list of links" dialog as well.

         ~ Mark Twain

netbat66

is this while in the browser?
even with a google search list, you do not have to press control enter
to go to the page.
but if you hold down shift then enter it will open the link in another window.
it will do this on most all web page links you click on.
and control w to close that window when you are through with it. this will put you back on the last page you were on.

I tried CTRL plus hitting enter to activate the link, but it always replaces the contents of the tab that had focus when you invoked the "show list of links" dialog with INS+F7.

I would like to be able to imitate what can be done with CTRL+Left Click in a tabbed browser, which forces the link clicked upon to open in a new tab, but I'll be darned if I can figure out a way when the link selection is occurring via the list of links dialog.

Even if it can be stated, definitively, that this cannot be done then I can come up with a workaround. When you're trying to read a newspaper it's a lot easier to open the articles of potential interest in their own tabs so that one can go back to "the front page" or "the main page of the sports section" or similar than it is to keep having to reload them and start all over again.

~ Mark Twain

HH. Smith Jr.

Brian,

If you activate the link from the actual window after finding the link by using Insert+F7 “move to link” button then press Control+Enter. Then you can use Control+1 thru 0 to flip through  the different windows in any order of choice. You can even save the tabs in your favorites list if in reading the same newspaper, the visited pages are the same. HTH

I tried CTRL plus hitting enter to activate the link, but it always replaces the contents of the tab that had focus when you invoked the "show list of links" dialog with INS+F7.

I would like to be able to imitate what can be done with CTRL+Left Click in a tabbed browser, which forces the link clicked upon to open in a new tab, but I'll be darned if I can figure out a way when the link selection is occurring via the list of links dialog.

Even if it can be stated, definitively, that this cannot be done then I can come up with a workaround.  When you're trying to read a newspaper it's a lot easier to open the articles of potential interest in their own tabs so that one can go back to "the front page" or "the main page of the sports section" or similar than it is to keep having to reload them and start all over again.

         ~ Mark Twain

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 04:12 pm, netbat66 wrote:
is this while in the browser?
No.  I don't know how much more clear I can be about wanting to be able to trigger this directly out of the JAWS "List of Links" dialog.

Of course there's a web browser running underneath in order to get said dialog, but I have yet to find a way to activate a link directly from the dialog that will force it to open in a separate tab of its own.

         ~ Mark Twain

HH,

       Thanks for the workaround.  It is much appreciated.

        I am still hoping that there might be some way to trigger a link to open in a new tab directly from the list of links dialog, but my hope is fading since no one here, and you all are the experts, seems to have a method to do that readily at hand.

         ~ Mark Twain

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I have not found a way.  I always have to use the move to link and press enter and then use the application key to allow me to open in another tab or window.

Regards

Tom Bisset

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 04:12 pm, netbat66 wrote:

is this while in the browser?

No.  I don't know how much more clear I can be about wanting to be able to trigger this directly out of the JAWS "List of Links" dialog.

Of course there's a web browser running underneath in order to get said dialog, but I have yet to find a way to activate a link directly from the dialog that will force it to open in a separate tab of its own.

         ~ Mark Twain

Matthew Bullis

Also, it's not necessary to use the applications key to find the open
in new tab option. If you're focused on a link, you can press control
enter and it will open in a new tab. You may want to go into the
browser options and make sure that the browser will automatically
switch to that new tab instead of opening it up in the background.
Also, if links are being particularly tempermental, you can use shift
enter, and you'll open that link in a new browser window. Unless Jaws
codes the option in, it looks like the only way is the one described
already, which is to choose the move to link option, but at least you
can use control enter to speed yourself up.
Matthew

On 6/12/18, Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@bmo.com> wrote:
I have not found a way. I always have to use the move to link and press
enter and then use the application key to allow me to open in another tab or
window.
Regards
Tom Bisset

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 04:12 pm, netbat66 wrote:
is this while in the browser?
No. I don't know how much more clear I can be about wanting to be able to
trigger this directly out of the JAWS "List of Links" dialog.

Of course there's a web browser running underneath in order to get said
dialog, but I have yet to find a way to activate a link directly from the
dialog that will force it to open in a separate tab of its own.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many
of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable
views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little
corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

It does appear that the "Move to Link" option from the List of Links Dialog, then hitting CTRL+Enter once focus is on the link, is going to be the only way to accomplish what I had hoped would be available via some modifier key within the dialog itself.

That will still save quite a bit of time with regard to reloading web pages one wishes to come back to.

         ~ Mark Twain

Jerry Berrier <jerry.berrier@...>

Not sure if this will help, but you can go into settings in your browser and under general there’s a place where you can indicate whether you want new links opened in separate windows or new tabs. If you set it to tabs, any new link you open should open in a new tab, not a new window.

Jerry Berrier

Director of Education Technology

Perkins School for the Blind
175 North Beacon Street
Watertown MA 02472
P: 617-972-7826
Perkins.org

Perkins School for the Blind Logo

Facebook Link IconTwitter Link IconInstagram Link IconLinkedIn Link IconPinterest Link Icon

I have not found a way.  I always have to use the move to link and press enter and then use the application key to allow me to open in another tab or window.

Regards

Tom Bisset

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 04:12 pm, netbat66 wrote:

is this while in the browser?

No.  I don't know how much more clear I can be about wanting to be able to trigger this directly out of the JAWS "List of Links" dialog.

Of course there's a web browser running underneath in order to get said dialog, but I have yet to find a way to activate a link directly from the dialog that will force it to open in a separate tab of its own.

         ~ Mark Twain

Gerry,

          Thanks, but I am well aware of that setting and it's already set to open links in tabs instead of windows, but that only applies to links "passed in to" the browser, e.g., from the e-mail client or a desktop HTML shortcut, not links activated from webpages one is viewing.  On webpages one is viewing, provided one is not in the List of Links dialog, activating a link via Enter will replace the content of the current tab and via CTRL+Enter will open it in a separate tab.   All links directly activated from the List of Links dialog are exhibiting the former behavior and there appears to be no modifier key that can be used in conjunction with the "Activate this link" button to make it open in a new tab.

          Try it out, you'll see the behavior for yourself.

         ~ Mark Twain

Nermin

Hi Brian,

I doubt you can use this JAWS feature. I would suspect that JAWS somehow pulls the list from the HTML content or the browser’s API, so it renders the links in a list to which you only have access once you press JAWS-Key+F7. FS would need to find a way of opening a link from here in a new tab through a script, but no idea if such things can be acomplished.

I will ask around though, but I’d think this would require a lot of scripting and fiddling around and would need to be done for each user separately.

Regards,
Nermin

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

I’m coming late to this, but press your applications key, then W and the link will open in a new window.  Press your applications key and T and it will open in a new tab.

All the best

Steve

I tried CTRL plus hitting enter to activate the link, but it always replaces the contents of the tab that had focus when you invoked the "show list of links" dialog with INS+F7.

I would like to be able to imitate what can be done with CTRL+Left Click in a tabbed browser, which forces the link clicked upon to open in a new tab, but I'll be darned if I can figure out a way when the link selection is occurring via the list of links dialog.

Even if it can be stated, definitively, that this cannot be done then I can come up with a workaround.  When you're trying to read a newspaper it's a lot easier to open the articles of potential interest in their own tabs so that one can go back to "the front page" or "the main page of the sports section" or similar than it is to keep having to reload them and start all over again.

         ~ Mark Twain

Steve,

          Thanks for the suggestions, but they do not address the issue and it's been determined that it cannot be addressed directly from within the list of links dialog, which is what I was hoping for.

           I know all of the tricks to get a link one is sitting on in the web browser itself to open in either a new window or tab, but it would have been so convenient to be able to tell JAWS to tell the browser to do the same from inside that dialog, but it can't be done.

          ~ Dorothy Nevill