moderated Computers to Help People, Take a Different Road

Peter Donahue

Good afternoon everyone,

                While we're glad they're working to make Jaws available on their computers Computers to Help People itself leaves lots to be desired! We know of cases where they sold used computers to blind persons that had hardware that was older than they were told it was. They don't offer their own tech support service, and offer equipment that is deffective and seriously out-of-date.

                While it's true unemployment is a serious issue among the blind it's also true that blind persons are presented with business and other opportunities that could give them more than any job could. We know this from having offering our opportunity to blind individuals who either flat turned it down or got involved and didn't remain committed to making it work for them. Our advice to anyone wanting assistive technology or want to upgrade your current technology and to skip the rehab rat race if opportunity comes calling it's legal and credible and you know the person presenting it to you, answer the door, let it in, get on board, and make it happen!

                There's no reason why blind persons offered such opportunities should be using junked hardware and seriously out-of-date software. It's your responsibility to develop the needed income streams to keep your equipment and applications current. Failure to do this will be a lack of responsibility on your part! The same also goes for viewing those who have done this successfully as braggers, show-offs etc. Someone who wanted to simply brag about their achievements wouldn't offer to help others do what they accomplished. Such thinking only keeps people broke and forces them to be relegated to using cast-off equipment!

                We have done what we're suggesting and will gladly discuss this subject off-list. We received a steamy reminder of our responsibility to have income sorces available for when life happens this past weekend. Late friday evening our air conditioning went out and wasn't repaired until late Saturday evening. Because we took responsibility and positioned ourselves to meet unexpected life challenges we had reserves available from "Yes" decisions we made when opportunity came around. We were able to gtake refuge in a local hotel until our apartment had cooled down to where we could return home.

                Mary and I wish to urge everyone to follow our example so you can buy current hardware and software and receive the quality support needed to keep it in ship shape. All the best for a great weekend.

Peter Donahue