Jaws 16 and PDF unreadable document

renette bloem

Hi All

My microwave broke; I purchased a new one; downloaded the manual which is a PDF from the Defy website.

Jaws only reads funny things that obviously make no sense.

How does one convert/change such a PDF to a one that Jaws can access with ease as is the case with many other PDF documents?

Thanks.

Renette

Chris Chaffin

Have you tried the PDF OCR feature in Jaws?  While in the PDF file hit, Insert plus Space Bar, after the sound hit letter O for OCR, and D for document.
This will OCR the entire file and put the results in a separate window.

Now a lot of manuals are very graphical.  For example, when giving you the steps on how to preform a particular task, it will just give you a picture of a button instead of putting the actual name of the button.  So your results will unfortunately just depend on how graphical your manual is.

Hope this helps,

Chris

On Jul 10, 2016, at 8:08 AM, renette bloem <renette@...> wrote:

Hi All

My microwave broke; I purchased a new one; downloaded the manual which is a PDF from the Defy website.

Jaws only reads funny things that obviously make no sense.

How does one convert/change such a PDF to a one that Jaws can access with ease as is the case with many other PDF documents?

Thanks.

Renette

Or you can just convert that into simple txt document using AbbyFineReader.
Sincerely,
Paulius Leveris

On Jul 10, 2016, at 8:08 AM, renette bloem <renette@adept.co.za> wrote:

Hi All
My microwave broke; I purchased a new one; downloaded the manual which is
a PDF from the Defy website.
Jaws only reads funny things that obviously make no sense.
How does one convert/change such a PDF to a one that Jaws can access with
ease as is the case with many other PDF documents?
Thanks.
Renette

renette bloem

Have done exactly that!
Thanks! A bit to long to OCR with Jaws - maybe.
[...]

No, will see how this works.  Is quite a long document.

Thanks.

Renette

[...]

I never using JAWS OCR reader, I'm using quite better things...

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Renette. If you can use your Internet Browser to go to

You can use this free service to convert any unreadable pdf to another readable format. Just upload your file of under 64 megabytes, follow the steps listed on the website, and robobraille will email you back the converted document within 30 minutes.

I hope this helps you.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13780 (20160710) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13780 (20160710) __________

http://www.eset.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi again Renette. One other thing which I neglected to specify in my last email is that when you use

In one of the steps, one of the choices will be "Convert to accessible format". It is best to use this choice. It will not affect any of your other choices as to the type of document you will receive back in email.
My microwave broke; I purchased a new one; downloaded the manual which is a PDF from the Defy website.

Jaws only reads funny things that obviously make no sense.

How does one convert/change such a PDF to a one that Jaws can access with ease as is the case with many other PDF documents?

Thanks.

Renette

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13780 (20160710) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 13780 (20160710) __________

http://www.eset.com

renette bloem

It does!

I managed with ABBY Fine Reader this time, but will keep that option for future use.

Thanks!

Renette

[...]

Thanks!!  Have already been to the site and have book marked it for future use.

Renette

[...]

Andrew J. LaPointe

    Hi, I use Robobraille.org all the time to convert empty documents from pdf and other hard to read docs.  You can send an email to convert@... and attach the pdf or whatever you have to the email and in the subject line, state what you want to have the conversion to be such as txt or doc.  Hope this helps.
I have pdf sent to me often and when I run it with the adobe program, it comes back as empty doc.  I send it to robobraille and 90% of the time, it get it back within 5 minutes.  Andy and Shubert