moderated JAWS and Google Chrome

Private Email

Hey Guys, I am a new group member and have a specific question about google chrome and jaws 2018.  I understand that Alt is supposed to take you to the menu bar however I seem to get stuck in the address edit box and am unable to get to that alt menu.  My main issue with this is trying to open my bookmarks so I can go to a certain page.  Anyone got any suggestions?  I am running JAWS 2018 and the latest version of chrome.

Hitting the ALT key in Chrome, if you are anywhere *but* in the address/search box, will throw focus to the Chrome menu button, which you must then down arrow to expand.

Hitting ALT if you are actually in the address/search box does nothing.

Just curious, but have you ever tried the Chrome Bookmarks Manager, which you can open with CTRL+SHIFT+O?  You start in the Bookmarks search box.  If you tab twice you are in the tree view for your bookmarks that's analogous to the same thing in File Explorer or an e-mail client, but you can't use single letter navigation.  If you know what your existing bookmark folder structure is, and you're looking for a folder, you can enter the folder name (or part of it) in the search box, hit Enter to run the search, then tab 4 times to land in that folder's list of links.  You can, of course, also do the same thing for the bookmark name for a bookmark in the search box, tab 4 times, and be in the list of individual bookmarks (and, possibly folders if one matches) that match the search.

I find using the bookmarks manager in Chrome, and also in Firefox (where it conveniently hangs around in its own window named Library that you can ALT+Tab to when you want to revisit it) the easiest way to access bookmarks with the least amount of "brute force" running through the list looking for something.

         ~ Mark Twain

Addendum:  I should have mentioned that the Chrome bookmarks manager opens in its own tab when you hit CTRL+SHIFT+O, and focus is immediately thrown to that newly opened tab.

         ~ Mark Twain