Basic Windows 10 Question

Mark Arnold ABG

Group,

OK, I am going to take the plunge as the “free” upgrade to Windows 10 will expire at the end of the month.  Are there any helpful tips when downloading and installing the new operating system?  I am reasonably computer literate and I am running the latest build of JFW.

Thanks in advance for any websites to visit in this regard,

Mark

markzalewski@...

I ran the upgrade on two systems and had to different experiences.  But if Jaws can read the prompts and you can follow them it shouldn’t be too difficult.  I can’t vouch for how well Jaws runs on Win10, but my Win7 to Win10 on one system was a piece of cake.  The other one hung up at 99% twice, so I ended up having to download the upgrade file to a USB device and install manually.  It worked like that, and both systems recognized all my old software, I suspect Jaws should be OK.  Freedom Scientific recommends removing any non-updated versions of Jaws, so you may need to delete older versions.  They have other notes on their website at:

https://www.freedomscientific.com/support/TechnicalSupport/Windows10Upgrade

Mark Zalewski

Print Services/Assistive Technology

Phone: 414-661-1380

E-Mail Mark Zalewski

OK, I am going to take the plunge as the “free” upgrade to Windows 10 will expire at the end of the month.  Are there any helpful tips when downloading and installing the new operating system?  I am reasonably computer literate and I am running the latest build of JFW.

Thanks in advance for any websites to visit in this regard,

Mark

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information of Northwestern Mutual. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Northwestern Mutual immediately by returning it to the sender and delete all copies from your system. Please be advised that communications with {SECURE MESSAGE} in the subject line have been sent using a secure messaging system. Communications that do not have this tag may not be secure and could be observed by a third party. Thank you for your cooperation. Northwestern Mutual is an Official Corporate Partner of the NCAA. NCAA is a trademark of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

David Moore

Hi Mark,
Here are the instructions to upgrade to win10.
Here is the instructions step by step how to install W10. Read through all the step first before you install W10 as there are a few things you have to do before starting the download of w10.
Upgrading to Windows 10 with jaws 16 or 17.
go to:
Download the tool called utility tool, leave it in your download folder.
Download jaws 16.0.4350 or Jaws 17, leave it in your download folder for future use.
Download the Microsoft media creation tool at:
On this web page, Go to download link now, Microsoft will determine if you have a 64 or 32 bit system, they are both built into the tool.
Download the tool and save it to your download folder for future use.
Leave all three of these downloads in your download folder.
Not sure if you have to reserve w-10 now?
Now, if you have not reserved windows 10, please do so.
press enter on the get windows 10 icon in the notification area.
go down the page and fill in your email address. this gives you a verification email.
Now, restart your computer.
check for updates, install any updates, restart to make sure you have all the latest updates.
Now you are ready to begin the upgrade to windows 10.
Run the jaws utility tool, this will get rid of any jaws fragmented files and so on from your system.
Tip, after running the F S tool on your w-7 computer, any time you restart your computer, you will get a message from Jaws saying:.
The mirror drivers are configured incorrectly, press the spacebar on this message.
In w-10, Jaws does not use the mirror drivers, that is the reason for this message.
Next, Run the media creation tool.
yes, for your users account warning.
Choose, update this computer now and press enter.
you are now in an ongoing and updating dialog which says:
Windows 10 is being downloaded, continue using your computer.
This could take anywhere between 30 to 60 minutes, depending on your download speed.
When it is done downloading, it will go through several screens itself updating your computer and will get it ready for windows 10.
Next, there will be a screen asking you to except the license agreement, check the yes and press enter on next.
Again, the program will run through several screens by itself.
Next, press enter on install.
now you will have no speech, this install takes 45 to 60 minutes to complete.
After 1 hour, press the Windows key+enter key to turn on narrator.
Wait for a few minutes if it does not come on right away.
Almost done.
press the next button.
choose express settings.
press the next button.
if done right, in about 10 to 15 minutes, jaws will come on talking on the desktop in your new w-10 PC.
Now, this is very important, uninstall and reinstall jaws 16 or 17.
This will give you the maximum performance in the w-10 environment.
Tips on how to do this.
Go to programs and features by pressing windows+X, press enter on Jaws 16 or 17.
Say yes, for your user’s account message.
Uninstall Jaws, Keeping shared settings and personal settings.
If the Jaws dialog does not tell you to restart, Turn Narrator on, Windows key+enter, restart your computer.
Wait the appropriate time for restarting, turn Narrator back on, Windows key+enter.
Go to your download folder where you have already put the latest Jaws 16 or 17, set up file.
Press enter on the Jaws setup file.
Follow the Jaws prompts, to install Jaws 16 or 17.
After reinstalling jaws, no need for a restart here, jaws will come on talking with all your settings, except for 2 of them.
Redo your shortcut key, control+ALT+j.
Redo the setting to have jaws come on at the log-on screen.
All your other settings will be remembered by Jaws.
For whatever reason if the media tool fails the first time.
Check for updates, restart, and run the tool again.
In w-8.1, this method usually works the first time.
In w-7, you may have to repeat this method two times.

Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 10:44 AM

Group,

OK, I am going to take the plunge as the “free” upgrade to Windows 10 will expire at the end of the month.  Are there any helpful tips when downloading and installing the new operating system?  I am reasonably computer literate and I am running the latest build of JFW.

Thanks in advance for any websites to visit in this regard,

Mark

Mark Arnold ABG

David,

Thank you so very much!  This is what I was hoping to receive.  Now, it’s time to take the plunge!

All the best,

Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 10:44 AM

Group,

OK, I am going to take the plunge as the “free” upgrade to Windows 10 will expire at the end of the month.  Are there any helpful tips when downloading and installing the new operating system?  I am reasonably computer literate and I am running the latest build of JFW.

Thanks in advance for any websites to visit in this regard,

Mark

Alan Robbins <alan1057@...>

David,

I thought list member, Brian, had posted some updated stuff to this that Joseph put somewhere on the group website? Just want to ensure this is most recent/accurate info.

Best,

Al