Need Advice On Accessible Way To Do An Image Backup On Laptop

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I have been doing an extensive amount of work configuring a laptop for the various programs and applications I use, and wonder what is the most accessible and Jaws-friendly procedure for creating an image backup of that laptop?

Any thoughts and step-by-step instructions would be appreciated.

I’m using Jaws 17 and Windows 7 here.

Thanks as always!

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

paul lemm

Hi Tom,

Which version of windows are you using?

Paul

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: 02 July 2016 01:28
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Need Advice On Accessible Way To Do An Image Backup On Laptop

Hello, everyone.

I have been doing an extensive amount of work configuring a laptop for the various programs and applications I use, and wonder what is the most accessible and Jaws-friendly procedure for creating an image backup of that laptop?

Thanks as always!

Tom Behler

Paul:

I’m using Windows 7.

Dr.  Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of paul lemm
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2016 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: Need Advice On Accessible Way To Do An Image Backup On Laptop

Hi Tom,

Paul

Hello, everyone.

Thanks as always!

paul lemm

Hi Tom,

If your still running windows 7 its actually got its own system image tool, its pretty straight forward and to create the system image it is accessible using jaws. However to restore the laptop/pc from the system image you created , this isn’t accessible with jaws , its pretty straight forward  but jaws and magnification  won’t work so I’ve needed someone sighted to restore my pc from the system image.

Now I moved over to windows 10 a while ago , so it’s been a while since I’ve created a windows 7  system image, but all you need to do is go to control panel, click backup and restore, on the window that comes up click create system image and windows will guide you through the rest. Its fairly straight forward but the image can take ages to create. I always create mine  onto an external  hard drive, can’t  remember quite how long it took last time , but it was definitely over an hour and obviously the bigger the hard drive you are creating the image from the longer it will take.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any further help, also as it’s the built in windows program there are plenty of online articles about creating a system image using windows backup and restore , most of these documents also explain the process for recovering your pc from a create system image.

Sent: 05 July 2016 02:15

Paul:

I’m using Windows 7.

Dr.  Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul lemm

Hi Tom,

Paul

Hello, everyone.

Thanks as always!

Tom Behler

Thanks, Paul.

I was hoping that I could do both the image backup creation, and the restore/recovery  function independently, but at least I can create the image backup for now.

I appreciate these instructions.

They will come in very handy when the time comes.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of paul lemm
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 5:50 PM

Hi Tom,

If your still running windows 7 its actually got its own system image tool, its pretty straight forward and to create the system image it is accessible using jaws. However to restore the laptop/pc from the system image you created , this isn’t accessible with jaws , its pretty straight forward  but jaws and magnification  won’t work so I’ve needed someone sighted to restore my pc from the system image.

Now I moved over to windows 10 a while ago , so it’s been a while since I’ve created a windows 7  system image, but all you need to do is go to control panel, click backup and restore, on the window that comes up click create system image and windows will guide you through the rest. Its fairly straight forward but the image can take ages to create. I always create mine  onto an external  hard drive, can’t  remember quite how long it took last time , but it was definitely over an hour and obviously the bigger the hard drive you are creating the image from the longer it will take.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any further help, also as it’s the built in windows program there are plenty of online articles about creating a system image using windows backup and restore , most of these documents also explain the process for recovering your pc from a create system image.

Sent: 05 July 2016 02:15

Paul:

I’m using Windows 7.

Dr.  Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul lemm

Hi Tom,

Paul

Hello, everyone.

Thanks as always!