Windows 10, Jaws 17 & Outlook 2013 question

Lauren Snyder

Hi:

When I try to open an attachment in Outlook 2013 using Jaws 17 and Windows 10, I right clicked and pressed enter on open and was hoping to get a choice of which program to open the file, but it automatically opens it in Microsoft Edge, rendering the file inaccessible to me. Should I uninstall Edge, will that effect Jaws or Windows OS or how to I get rid of it being the default program to open files in Outlook?

Please advise! Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Hi Lauren,

I’d suggest you change your default browser to Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox depending on which one you wish to use.  To do this, hit your left windows key to bring up the search box.  Then type default browser and arrow to that choice and press enter.  Tab if necessary and you will find Edge which is likely your default web browser.  Hit the space barr on that button and you should get a choice of browsers to choose from.  Pick the browser you wish and press enter.  Once changed, Edge will not launch automatically.  It is likely you cannot uninstall Edge, but even if you could, I wouldn’t recommend that as at some point, Jaws will work with it and hopefully, it will be a better experience than Internet Exploder is.  Yes, I meant to say Exploder.

Les

When I try to open an attachment in Outlook 2013 using Jaws 17 and Windows 10, I right clicked and pressed enter on open and was hoping to get a choice of which program to open the file, but it automatically opens it in Microsoft Edge, rendering the file inaccessible to me. Should I uninstall Edge, will that effect Jaws or Windows OS or how to I get rid of it being the default program to open files in Outlook?

Please advise! Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lauren

Lauren Snyder

Hi Les:

Will changing the default browser solve my problem of trying to open up a .pdf file in Outlook 2013 wit Jaws? Now, it doesn’t give me a choice and only opens up Edge.

Thanks.

[...]

Cindy Ray <cindyray@...>

I did what you suggested and it did not work.

Cindy

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Or you can open the browser you want and set the “default” option there. Doing so will automatically un-default the current default browser. I’ve found no difference among browsers in the way PDF files are handled, especially if you have PDF files set to open in Adobe instead of the browser.

True, I’m using Windows 7, but I imagine these conditions work across Windows platforms.

[...]

OOPS! I am running 2016.

[...]

Well I done fixed my default browser. I had inadvertently changed it to Edge from IE, which was my former default. I went into the browser Firefox and changed it there no problem.

Cindy

[...]

How do I get a .pdf file to open as Adobe and not the browser. I never meant to change any setting; just upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 and from Jaws 14 to 17.

Sincerely,

Lauren

[...]

We have Gerald Levy to thank for these instructions.

In Adobe Reader, go to the Edit menu and scroll  all the way down to the Accessibility submenu and select Set-up Assistant.  On page 5 of 5, the last page, of the Set-up Assistant is a check box  labeled “DisplayPDF documents in the web browser” which should be unchecked  so that the web page is processed directly by Adobe Reader outside of the  browser and not by the browser's PDF reader add-on, which does not always  work, especially in Windows 7 and later.

[...]

I see that you received a response to your question about .pdf files.  That will resolve that issue.  I don’t like opening pdf files in a browser, much better if they load through Adobe.