Is there any reason to not upgrade to JAWS 17?

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Bobb Wiley <rwiley46@...>

If you are happy with v16, then look through the 'what's new with verssion
17' and if nothing there looks totally compelling, then sit back and let the
more intrepid members find the bugs.

Just my opinion,
Bob

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using Office
2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

One out of 10 people understand binary: those who do, and those who don't.

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

Keith,

Since you can run separate versions of Jaws on your machine, there should be
no problem with upgrading to 17. You can always go back to 16 whenever you
wish. I like the new navigational tool on the web and navigating tables is
nice as you don't need to issue the layered commands any more to navigate
tables.

Les

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using Office
2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Kimber Gardner

I wouldn't, especially if you are happy with how jaws 16 is working. In fact I have gone back to version 16 after discovering some annoying bugs in 17.

I have found the forms mode settings to be quirky at best and totally messed up at worst. Also numpad differentiation doesn't seem to work in certain applications.

Kimber

Sent from Kimber's iPhone

On Nov 21, 2015, at 8:38 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

I have upgraded to Jaws17, and am not having any problems. It is up to you as to whether or not you want to upgrade.

I wouldn't, especially if you are happy with how jaws 16 is working. In fact I have gone back to version 16 after discovering some annoying bugs in 17.

I have found the forms mode settings to be quirky at best and totally messed up at worst. Also numpad differentiation doesn't seem to work in certain applications.

Kimber

Sent from Kimber's iPhone

On Nov 21, 2015, at 8:38 PM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Ann Byrne

If you use Eudora, even when you move the scripts from an earlier version of JAWS, the graphics in the mailboxes--read, unread, replied--don't read unless you constantly refresh the scripts with insert-ctrl-esc.

Juanita

One reason not to upgrade is that all the computer braille symbols are
changed to something else. If you do any programming or html coding, you
might not like the new computer braille symbols. As it is, I go back to jaws
16 when I want to code.

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using
Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi,

For me at work, I am not able to use Jaws 16 or 17 because when reading a
PDF document, if I press alt + tab to move to a different document, my
entire system freezes. Sometimes I can get control back, but most times I
must turn the power off of my computer to re-boot. I contacted FS last April
about this issue. They told me they were aware of it, but that it was an
Adobe issue. I contacted Adobe, and put them in touch with someone at
Freedom, and still the issue remains. I called FS again last week, and was
told that I should not press alt + tab to switch programs, but instead
minimize to the desktop, and from there switch to the other program. This is
fine, but old habits die hard, and I usually end up forgetting and pressing
alt + tab, and then spend the next 10 minutes trying to get my system back
up and running. This is not very efficient, and, in my opinion, not very
good tech support on FS's part. So, I am now forced to use Jaws 15. I
mentioned the fact that we should get a refund for Jaws 16 and 17 since we
aren't able to use them, but of course this fell on deaf ears, as does much
of what I say to tech support. I still don't understand how this can be an
Adobe issue when Jaws 15 works fine with Adobe XI Pro, as does NVDA,
Window-Eyes, and Dolphin. Unfortunately none of these screen readers work
with our proprietary database, or, I wouldn't be using Jaws.

I seem to recall someone else on this list having this same issue.

So, you might want to be careful about updating to Jaws 17 if you are
currently using Jaws 15... it might be a good idea to try using the demo
version of Jaws 17 with PDF documents to make sure you won't encounter this
alt tabbing issue.

Thanks,

Russell

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using
Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Mike B <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Russell,

Have you considered upgrading to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC? This is the
latest, & could possibly solve your problems. I don't open PDF files often
enough to say whether it will help your cause or not but, hopefully someone
more knowledgeable will let the list know.
Take care.
Mike

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using
Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

David Moore

Hi Rustle,
I did just that. I upgraded to the Adobe Reader DC, and it fixed all problems with reading PDFs with JAWS 17. That is exactly right. Have a great one.

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using
Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

I'm liking Jaws17 so far, I just have to play with Smart Navigation a little bit to get use to it.

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using
Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Andre Jarreau <andre.jarreau@...>

I have had a good experience with J17 but smart navigation is turned off
since installation. I am sure I will turn it on at some point. Maybe after
the Holidays.

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using
Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Ronnie Hill <ronnie.hill@...>

Hi, just wondering if the JAWS 17 will working well with OutLook Express on the Win 7 64 bit ?
Ronnie.

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using
Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi David,

We are using Adobe XI Pro at work, not Adobe Reader. I do have Adobe Reader DC installed as well, and it was also crashing my system when alt tabbing away from it, but I tried again today and it worked fine with Jaws 17. Then I tried Adobe XI Pro, and much to my surprise, it worked as well. The problem is intermitant though, so I’m not convinced that the issue is totally gone. I will keep playing with it and see how it goes. I’ll report back to the list after testing for a week or so.

Thanks,

Russell

-----Original Message----- From: Mike B via Jfw
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2015 11:11 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Mike B

----- Original Message ----- From: Russell Solowoniuk via Jfw

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using
Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Russell Solowoniuk

Thanks Mike. I responded to David’s email, so won’t repeat it here, but, it is looking a bit more promising. :)

Take care,

Russell

<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm happily running JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop, and using
Office 2010.

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade to JAWS 17?

Thanks, Keith

Pablo Morales

For all people that is using jaws 17, and would like to be able to activate
or deactivate smart navigation quickly. This script will modify the
default.jcf file every time that you press a keystroke, activating smart
navigation controls, or smart navigation controls and tables, or smart
navigation off.
So just with a keystroke you would be able to switch between all these
choices, instead going to Startup Wizard.
Here is the script. Remember that you need to add it to the default.jss,
assign a keystroke to the script, and compile the script again. Script
ChangeSmartNavigation ()
Var
Int SmartNavigationStatus,
String Message
Let SmartNavigationStatus=IniReadInteger ("Html", "SmartNavigation", 0,
"default.jcf")
let message=""
if SmartNavigationStatus==0 then
IniWriteInteger ("Html", "SmartNavigation", 1, "default.jcf")
Let message="Smart navigation mode is: controls"
Else
if SmartNavigationStatus==1 then
IniWriteInteger ("Html", "SmartNavigation", 2, "default.jcf")
Let message="smart navigation mode is :Controls and tables"
else
if SmartNavigationStatus==2 then
IniWriteInteger ("Html", "SmartNavigation", 0, "default.jcf")
Let message="smart navigation mode is: off"
EndIf
EndIf
EndIf
Say(message,0)
EndScript

Negoslav Sabev

Hello, actually great script. But isn't Dysfunctionality already implemented by pressing insert X?

Negoslav Sabev

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 28, 2015, at 6:09 PM, Pablo Morales via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Dave...

Hello Pablo,

Thanks for the nice concise script.

One note to those not familiar with scripting, is that the first word in the
script text needs to be "script" which was left at the end of your
instructions. The first line should actually be:

script ChangeSmartNavigation ()

Dave Carlson

[...]

Insert X doesn't make anything in my jaws 17.

wrote:

[...]

Hi all,
For insert + X to turn on and off smart navigation on web pages, you must have the newest update of JAWS 17 that came out a week or so ago. Just wanted you to know that. Have a great one.