Windows Tablets

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

I have a question that I hope will not be considered off topic for this
list.

I would like to purchase some sort of a Windows tablet to use when
traveling, and for when I don't want to drag my laptop computer around.

I am currently using Jaws 16, but plan to upgrade to Jaws 17 at some point,
probably in the next few months.

I assume that any windows-based tablet that I might get now will
automatically come with Windows 10 installed, which I'm ok with, since I'll
eventually need to upgrade my other computers to that operating system at
some point.

Can anyone give me recommendations and approximate costs of windows tablets
that would have sufficient resources to accommodate Jaws, and basic
Microsoft software such as Microsoft Office, Outlook e-mail, etc.?

At one point, I had considered moving to an IPad, but I am quite comfortable
with the Jaws to windows interface, so would prefer to stick with a Windows
tablet if at all possible.

Thank you!

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Michael Mote

From what I hear, the Surface Pro works very well. A few months ago, I
purchased a tablett size Asus model, with a laptop style keyboard as part of
the computer itself. I got it from Amazon for around 170 bucks. Doesn't
have a lot of hard drive space, but it is pretty fast. I purchased a Micro
SD card for initial storage purposes for around 15 dollars. The computer is
very light weight, and easy to travel with. If you use something like this,
I would recommend a drop box account, so you can put your files there, and
grab them when you get back home for your big computer.
One thing to keep in mind when searching for a Tablett. Make sure it is
running a full version of Windows, and not Windows RT. The RT systems won't
run JAWS. Good luck!

[...]

Les Kriegler <kriegler@...>

I have a Surface Pro and I'm very pleased with it. The prices have come
down since I purchased mine last year. You can find less expensive tablets,
but I believe at least for me, the additional cost is worth it. I initially
purchased a Dell tablet and had to return it. It was under $500 but didn't
function properly. I'm running Jaws 17 with Office 2013 and Windows 10 and
the only program that crashes on occasion is Internet Exploder, and that
will happen irregardless of what you buy or what operating system you run.

Les

[...]

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Do these tablets have USB inputs for external hard drives, DVD drives, etc? Thanks. Keith

[...]

And, I have another question:

Is it easy to disable the touch pad on something like the Surface Pro?

I have a Dell laptop at work, and turning off the touch keypad was extremely
difficult. The IT people had to go into the bios, and take some other steps
to finally get it to happen.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

I cannot speak to that, as I haven't attempted to disable it. I use the
Logitech k810 Bluetooth keyboard and the keyboard cover that was an optional
purchase with the Surface Pro. My hands rarely come in contact with the
touchpad, so I haven't had a need to try to disable this. If you call
Microsoft Accessibility at (800)936-5900, they should be able to ad vise you
on this matter.

Les

[...]

The Surface Pro has one USB port. No DVD drive, and I suspect most, if not
all the tablets won't have a DVD drive.

Les

[...]

Mike and Jenna <schwaltze@...>

Hi,

I think he was wanting to know if there was a USB port so he could plug in a
DVD drive. You can have both connected to the surface however if you use a
USB hub.

[...]

Debbie April Yuille

He

How responsive would you say jaws is? Is it as fast as on a laptop? Also
what's the sound of the Serfice Pro like?

Thanks
Debbie

[...]

Hi Les

Do you find the cover that comes with the surface easy to type on? Also does
it come with an applications key?

Debbie

[...]

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

I would take special care before buying a tablet computer if you
are totally blind. Perhaps I should offer up a definition of a
tablet. By tablet, I'm referring to a computing device larger
than a phone that has a touch screen only, and no readily
available keyboard.
Computing devices that have auxiliary keyboards are excluded from
my definition. There is NO WAY someone, going by touch alone (and
no sight), can type as efficiently or as accurately on a touch
screen as one can on a device with a physical keyboard.
I know a little about touch screen devices. I've used an iPhone
for 6 years (from a 3s to a 6s), and although I love my phones, I
dictate. When I have to type something, it is a pain.
Similarly, I have an UltraBook (a Yoga IdeaPad), a device with
both a touch screen and a real keyboard, and I've had it for 4
years (since before JAWS had touch gestures).
I've used the touchscreen fewer than 3 times. Frustrated with
typing on the touch keyboard, I always revert to the Yoga's
built-in keyboard.
Perhaps it is just me, and I am exceptionally awkward, but I'm
just honestly sharing my experience.
So, if you are totally blind, when considering a tablet, make sure
to factor in the cost of a keyboard too.

Do these tablets have USB inputs for external hard drives, DVD
drives, etc? Thanks. Keith

I have a Surface Pro and I'm very pleased with it. The prices
have come down since I purchased mine last year. You can find
less expensive tablets, but I believe at least for me, the
additional cost is worth it. I initially purchased a Dell tablet
and had to return it. It was under $500 but didn't function
properly. I'm running Jaws 17 with Office 2013 and Windows 10 and
the only program that crashes on occasion is Internet Explorer,
and that will happen regardless of what you buy or what operating
system you run.

Les

ago, I purchased a tablet size Asus model, with a laptop style
keyboard as part of the computer itself. I got it from Amazon for
around 170 bucks. Doesn't have a lot of hard drive space, but it
is pretty fast. I purchased a Micro SD card for initial storage
purposes for around 15 dollars. The computer is very light
weight, and easy to travel with. If you use something like this,
I would recommend a drop box account, so you can put your files
there, and grab them when you get back home for your big computer.

One thing to keep in mind when searching for a Tablet. Make sure
[...]

Ed, I agree that using a touch screen alone is not advisable. As long as
Bluetooth capability exists, a purchase of a Bluetooth keyboard will
eliminate this issue. By the way, I believe you use Dragon? I also use
Dragon with J-Say on my tablet. The only issue I had was that I had to
lower the screen resolution from its defaults, as my text wasn't being
echoed as I dictated until the resolution was lowered.

Les

[...]

Hi Debbie,

I don't care to type on the keyboard cover, as the keys are too close
together for my taste. Having said that, however, it's handy to have in
case my Bluetooth keyboard doesn't function for some reason. As long as my
Bluetooth keyboard's battery hasn't died, or it doesn't connect via
Bluetooth, a rare occurrence, I use the Bluetooth keyboard exclusively. I
don't believe there is an applications key on the cover. I use Shift-F10
when I need a context menu.

[...]

Jaws seems to be as responsive as it is on laptops I have run. Regarding
sound, it is fine. My only complaint would be that I'd like a little more
volume, but I also have a hearing loss now, so that likely contributes to
that issue.

Les

[...]

I use my USB port on the Surface to plug in an external drive. I've had
mixed results with the USB hub I purchased a while back, as the device I
plugged in didn't function.

Les

[...]

Ed:

I truly appreciate these observations.

I'm now in the process of learning the IPhone 6, and like you, I'm finding
the touch screen to be a challenge and a contributor to a very slow learning
curve. I'm getting there, but can't imagine using the IPhone for
applications that would require a lot of keyboard entry.

For this reason, I definitely will factor in the cost of a keyboard when
considering my windows tablet purchase. Of course, having a keyboard will
make the device less portable, which is something else I'm going to have to
consider in the long run.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Do these tablets have USB inputs for external hard drives, DVD drives, etc?
Thanks. Keith

purchased a tablet size Asus model, with a laptop style keyboard as part of
the computer itself. I got it from Amazon for around 170 bucks. Doesn't
have a lot of hard drive space, but it is pretty fast. I purchased a Micro
SD card for initial storage purposes for around 15 dollars. The computer is
very light weight, and easy to travel with. If you use something like this,
I would recommend a drop box account, so you can put your files there, and
grab them when you get back home for your big computer.

One thing to keep in mind when searching for a Tablet. Make sure it is
[...]

Drew Hunthausen

Tom,
I don't have one myself, but two of my family members have tablets with a
special keyboard case. It definitely makes the tablet larger and thicker,
but still very portable and easy to use. The tablet, like an iPad for
example, goes in one side of the case and the keyboard is in the other. You
open it just like a lap top except it is much smaller and more portable.
Hope this helps

[...]

Drew:

Can you tell me what kind of tablet they have, and the approximate cost?

So as not to clutter up the list, please e-mail me privately at:

tombehler@gmail.com

I would have responded to you personally, but couldn't pull your e-mail
address out of your most recent list post.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

My husband couldn't get over how fast I could text or enter names when I
took a step backward on the phone and got a feature phone. I'm really
happy that I did, but I'm not working now and don't need a computer
on-the-go.It always seemed like things under that touch screen were
swimming.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Tom, I have a really useful case I bought from Target. My keyboard goes in
its own separate pocket, the Surface goes in front of it in its own pocket.
It's really not hard to carry around whatever I need to transport the
Surface. Remember, Bluetooth keyboards are not typically full-sized
keyboards, so they are quite light. My Logitech keyboard fits that
statement.

Les