Jaws cursor and firefox
For a long time now and to be honest when I do a jaws cursor on any firefox
page all I get is graphic graphic etc etc and it never reads a thing
whenever I am in that mode, I have taken the suggestion from others on here
to disable hardware accelaration or something like that and it doesn't do
anything, I currently am running latest Jaws 17 and latest firefox but all
previous versions on both gave me the same feedback with Jaws cursor and
afirefox page, if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it as i want firefox to
work like an IE page when I Jaws cursor as we know theres some things on a
website only Jaws cursor can activate.
Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
Hi, Jim. Try this to make the JAWS Cursor read the contents on pages with Firefox.toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
How to make the JAWS Cursor Accessible in Firefox
When using Mozilla Firefox version 4 or newer, reviewing web pages using the JAWS Cursor is problematic. Mozilla is using a new graphical technology in Firefox version 4 and newer which bypasses the offscreen model, (OSM). Since JAWS For Windows depends on the OSM to allow the user to review the screen using the JAWS Cursor, things don't work the same as with older versions of Firefox, (such as version 3.6).
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Press Control-L to open a new link.
3. Type "about:config" and press Enter.
(All commands to type do not include the quotation marks)
4. If you are presented with a dialog which warns you about the dangers of making changes, Tab to the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button and press Enter.
5. At this point you should be out of Virtual Cursor mode and on a filter Edit Box. If not, turn off Virtual Cursor mode by pressing JAWS Key plus z.
6. In the filter Edit Box type
7. Press Tab to get to the list of filtered entries and you should see one called
layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled with a value of true
8. Press Enter to toggle this value to False.
9. Press Control-W to close the configuration window.
10. Restart Firefox.
you should now be able to use the JAWS Cursor to review web pages while using Mozilla Firefox version 36.0.1 and newer.
Bill White billwhite92701@...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim L via Jfw" <jfw@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Cc: "Jim L" <jimscave@...>
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2015 12:37 PM
Subject: Jaws cursor and firefox
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12562 (20151113) __________
The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.