From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Sandra Streeter via Jfw
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 11:20 AM
To: jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
Cc: Sandra Streeter
Subject: Amazon issues

Hello, all:

For the first time, I am really miffed at Amazon. Has anyone visited recently? They have a new sign-in feature, which, of COURSE, involves captias with no audio equivalent! They give you a link for “having trouble or sight-impaired,” but the only thing there is options for contacting them, which I did, with an “assertive-gram”, which, if you’re experiencing this issue, you might want to follow up on with one of your own so they will listen to us, hopefully. I stated the situation is unacceptable, since many of us are Christmas shopping now, and requested that they immediately remedy things. If anyone has managed to get around the captia and still do check-out, please do email the list and let us know how you did it! Thanks!

Sandra
“To love another person is to see the face of God.”
(Les Miserables--the musical)

Gerald Levy

I placed an order with Amazon two days ago and did not encounter any image captcha. If you have not logged into Amazon in a long time, it is possible that they present the captcha for security purposes and treat you like a first-time shopper. But as long as you shop regularly on the site as I do, you should not encounter a captcha again after this initial log-in. Still, blind consumers should not have to deal with an image captcha under any circumstances on the site of the world's largest online merchant, and perhaps you should contact the NFB, which loves to sue companies whose web sites are not blind-friendly.

Gerald

For the first time, I am really miffed at Amazon. Has anyone visited recently? They have a new sign-in feature, which, of COURSE, involves captias with no audio equivalent! They give you a link for “having trouble or sight-impaired,” but the only thing there is options for contacting them, which I did, with an “assertive-gram”, which, if you’re experiencing this issue, you might want to follow up on with one of your own so they will listen to us, hopefully. I stated the situation is unacceptable, since many of us are Christmas shopping now, and requested that they immediately remedy things. If anyone has managed to get around the captia and still do check-out, please do email the list and let us know how you did it! Thanks!

Sandra
“To love another person is to see the face of God.”
(Les Miserables--the musical)

Melissa Stott <mstott69@...>

I ordered something from Amazon a few weeks ago, and did not encounter this issue.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 12, 2015, at 6:45 PM, Drew Hunthausen via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

This must be withine the last week or so as I ordered several things last week with no problems signing in. I hope they do something soon if this is how it is from now on.

For the first time, I am really miffed at Amazon. Has anyone visited recently? They have a new sign-in feature, which, of COURSE, involves captias with no audio equivalent! They give you a link for “having trouble or sight-impaired,” but the only thing there is options for contacting them, which I did, with an “assertive-gram”, which, if you’re experiencing this issue, you might want to follow up on with one of your own so they will listen to us, hopefully. I stated the situation is unacceptable, since many of us are Christmas shopping now, and requested that they immediately remedy things. If anyone has managed to get around the captia and still do check-out, please do email the list and let us know how you did it! Thanks!

Sandra
“To love another person is to see the face of God.”
(Les Miserables--the musical)

Adrian Spratt

On reading your post, which made me anxious, I went to Amazon and logged in with my username and password. I suspect Gerald may have the right answer. But as he says, Amazon should know better. And as you say, anyone who encounters this new obstacle should make their displeasure known to Amazon.

[...]

Well, unfortunately, I spoke too soon. I just tried logging in to my Amazon account, and had the same problem. This is not good!

[...]

dennis

i just went and signed in with no problem. just so we are all clear i am using jaws 16 win 7 64bit. i went to amazong and hit enter on the sign in link. it came up with the usual sign in email and password requirement. no captia no nothing like that.

-----Original Message----- From: Adrian Spratt via Jfw
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 9:08 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

[...]

Dave...

I just opened Amazon on my web browser and opened my account with no need to
enter a Captcha. Not sure why, but grateful that it does not.

IE 11
JAWS 16

Dave Carlson

For the first time, I am really miffed at Amazon. Has anyone visited
recently? They have a new sign-in feature, which, of COURSE, involves
captias with no audio equivalent! They give you a link for “having
trouble or sight-impaired,” but the only thing there is options for
contacting them, which I did, with an “assertive-gram”, which, if
you’re experiencing this issue, you might want to follow up on with
one of your own so they will listen to us, hopefully. I stated the
situation is unacceptable, since many of us are Christmas shopping
now, and requested that they immediately remedy things. If anyone has
managed to get around the captia and still do check-out, please do
email the list and let us know how you did it! Thanks!

Sandra
“To love another person is to see the face of God.”
(Les Miserables--the musical)

Annabelle Susan Morison

One thing I'm concerned about is their accessibility page
http://www.amazon.com/access, which doesn't seem to work on Firefox or
Internet Explorer, in other words, there are no edit fields, combo boxes, or
buttons for the search feature on the homepage. What's up with that?

For the first time, I am really miffed at Amazon. Has anyone visited
recently? They have a new sign-in feature, which, of COURSE, involves
captias with no audio equivalent! They give you a link for "having
trouble or sight-impaired," but the only thing there is options for
contacting them, which I did, with an "assertive-gram", which, if
you're experiencing this issue, you might want to follow up on with
one of your own so they will listen to us, hopefully. I stated the
situation is unacceptable, since many of us are Christmas shopping
now, and requested that they immediately remedy things. If anyone has
managed to get around the captia and still do check-out, please do
email the list and let us know how you did it! Thanks!

Sandra
"To love another person is to see the face of God."
(Les Miserables--the musical)

David Ingram

I haven't noticed this problem but I've noticed a different problem where they've given us a link but the problem is that from what I've experienced is while typing what I want to search for, I'm given results for things that I didn't searth for as an example, if I type an authors name like Gary Keesee I would probably get only 2 book titles but when I want to find out if this book is in other formats I'm given little to no information of whether Fixing the money thing is abialable as an audio book or whether it is an e book Has anyone had a problem semular to what I've tried to describe? Thank you for any information that you might have concerning my questions.

[...]

Click on the link to the book, and the page for that book will list other formats. Ditto song, etc.

[...]

I found that even there they want us to enter a code. You would think that they would have an audio, but they do not.

[...]

I just signed into my Amazon.com account using my email address and password to track an order that has been shipped, and did not encounter any image captcha. But when I originally placed this order on Tuesday, I noticed that there were no longer a series of radio buttons on the shipping options page to choose the desired shipping method, which, of course, would be free shipping, which is not usually checked by default. Even though there was no obvious means of selecting one of the four listed shipping options, I hit Enter on the first option anyway, free shipping, and this apparently worked, because free shipping is what I got. But it is also possible that this option was already selected by default. Amazon is constantly tinkering with its web site, much to the detriment of us blind consumers. But it is almost impossible to challenge them because Jeff Bezos, recently ranked as the fifth wealthiest person in the US, is an absolute control freak who always gets his way.

Gerald

[...]

He sounds just like my Grandma Pat. That's one thing the world doesn't need,
control freaks. The world needs more people with understanding of our visual
impairment, who won't treat us as though we're nothing more than objects of
pity.

For the first time, I am really miffed at Amazon. Has anyone visited
recently? They have a new sign-in feature, which, of COURSE, involves
captias with no audio equivalent! They give you a link for "having
trouble or sight-impaired," but the only thing there is options for
contacting them, which I did, with an "assertive-gram", which, if
you're experiencing this issue, you might want to follow up on with
one of your own so they will listen to us, hopefully. I stated the
situation is unacceptable, since many of us are Christmas shopping
now, and requested that they immediately remedy things. If anyone has
managed to get around the captia and still do check-out, please do
email the list and let us know how you did it! Thanks!

Sandra
"To love another person is to see the face of God."
(Les Miserables--the musical)

judith bron

I agree! Even organizations that are supposedly dedicated to help us
function in the sighted world feel threatened when we come up with a better
way to get our message across than sighted professional folks with
impressive letters after their name.

For the first time, I am really miffed at Amazon. Has anyone visited
recently? They have a new sign-in feature, which, of COURSE, involves
captias with no audio equivalent! They give you a link for "having
trouble or sight-impaired," but the only thing there is options for
contacting them, which I did, with an "assertive-gram", which, if
you're experiencing this issue, you might want to follow up on with
one of your own so they will listen to us, hopefully. I stated the
situation is unacceptable, since many of us are Christmas shopping
now, and requested that they immediately remedy things. If anyone has
managed to get around the captia and still do check-out, please do
email the list and let us know how you did it! Thanks!

Sandra
"To love another person is to see the face of God."
(Les Miserables--the musical)
scrubbed...

Adrian Spratt

For the record, I've found Amazon to be extremely responsive when I and others raise accessibility issues. One of my calls a few years ago led to website changes the very next day. Generally, soon after I've read complaints on this list, those problems have been fixed.

For the first time, I am really miffed at Amazon. Has anyone visited
recently? They have a new sign-in feature, which, of COURSE, involves
captias with no audio equivalent! They give you a link for "having
trouble or sight-impaired," but the only thing there is options for
contacting them, which I did, with an "assertive-gram", which, if
you're experiencing this issue, you might want to follow up on with
one of your own so they will listen to us, hopefully. I stated the
situation is unacceptable, since many of us are Christmas shopping
now, and requested that they immediately remedy things. If anyone has
managed to get around the captia and still do check-out, please do
email the list and let us know how you did it! Thanks!

Sandra
"To love another person is to see the face of God."
(Les Miserables--the musical)

Maria Campbell

I just purchased an item with absolutely no issues at all.
Let's hope it stays that way?

On 11/13/2015 8:21 AM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

Angel

I have noticed for quite a long while now, I have been unable to choose the shipping option I wanted. I just assumed it was because I was using an older operating system. Along with an older browser. I had no idea this was a problem presenting itself to others. Who are more modern than I.