Creating a short cut to open a program not on your desktop

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

It can be even simpler. Once you find the program listed in all programs, Programs, or wherever, right clicking on it will usually allow you to do the same thing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@...] On Behalf Of David Moore via Jfw
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:38 PM
To: jfw@...
Cc: David Moore
Subject: Creating a short cut to open a program not on your desktop

Hi all.
I want to tell all of you the procedure to set a short cut to open a program that is not on the desktop or pinned to the start area. You can create a short cut to any program on your computer. Here is what you do.
First, press the Windows key to open the start area. up arrow once and press enter on all apps. Arrow to the program that you want to set the short cut for. If it says collapsed, press enter to open it. Now, arrow down to the program and press the applications key. Next, arrow down to open file location and press enter. Press the applications key. Now, up arrow once and enter on properties. Next, tab to the shortcut field and put in a letter. The alt and ctrl are automatically added to the short cut. Just tab to okay and press enter. Now, you can open that program with alt + ctrl + the letter without that program pinned anywhere. If the program is just on your computer, this way to create a short cut will work. Take care and I hope you enjoy this.

Adrian Spratt

I made an error in the instructions I posted yesterday, which came to me in the middle of the night. IN step 6, press alt-enter, not control-enter. My apologies. I've made the correction in both places in the message copied below.

here are the steps for creating a shortcut in Windows 7.

1. Press the Windows key.

2. up arrow once and press enter on all apps.

3. Press the up or down arrow once to get into the programs list, then use first-letter navigation to locate the program that you want to set the short cut for.

4. If the program name is announced along with the word "closed," press right arrow to open it.

5. There may be several options here, such as uninstall. The program itself will have the name of the program without any additional wording or letters.

6. Once you have focus on the program, press alt-enter to bring up preferences. In every instance I've encountered, you will land in the shortcut dialog.

7. tab to the edit field and enter your choice of shortcut. If you want a shortcut that includes the control and alt keys, just enter the letter. Otherwise, press the entire combination, such as control-shift-c.

8. No need to tab to the OK button. Just press enter to exit the dialog.

Now you have a shortcut that will work from anywhere in your computer, unless you're in an application that has assigned that same shortcut to an application-specific function. For example, my IE shortcut is control-alt-I, which doesn't work in MS Word because that key combination performs a Word function.

It's even easier when the program has an icon on the desktop. Skip steps 1 through 5. Just place focus on the icon, press alt-enter (step 6) and pick up with step 7.

David Moore

Hi all.
These steps that I gave you are for Windows 10. It is a little different than Windows 7. Good job on explaining on how to do this in Windows 7. Well, now you have the instructions on how to do this in win 7 and win 10. Take care. Sorry for not mentioning that this procedure is for win 10, I forgot to mention that.

David, I'm not sure which version of Windows your instructions apply to. here are the steps for creating a shortcut in Windows 7, where it's a lot easier.

1. Press the Windows key.

2. up arrow once and press enter on all apps.

3. Press the up or down arrow once to get into the programs list, then use first-letter navigation to locate the program that you want to set the short cut for.

4. If the program name is announced along with the word "closed," press right arrow to open it.

5. There may be several options here, such as uninstall. The program itself will have the name of the program without any additional wording or letters.

6. Once you have focus on the program, press control-enter to bring up preferences. In every instance I've encountered, you will land in the shortcut dialog.

7. tab to the edit field and enter your choice of shortcut. If you want a shortcut that includes the control and alt keys, just enter the letter. Otherwise, press the entire combination, such as control-shift-c.

8. No need to tab to the OK button. Just press enter to exit the dialog.

Now you have a shortcut that will work from anywhere in your computer, unless you're in an application that has assigned that same shortcut to an application-specific function. For example, my IE shortcut is control-alt-I, which doesn't work in MS Word because that key combination performs a Word function.

It's even easier when the program has an icon on the desktop. Skip steps 1 through 5. Just place focus on the icon, press control-enter (step 6) and pick up with step 7.