Correction: Chrome Is Not Totally Useless

Brad Martin

This morning, Chrome ended its strike, and decided it would open. So it's not totally useless. My comments previously had nothing to do with accessibility, and everything to do with the fact that the program refused to open last night. When it finally started (after I went into task manager and killed two Chrome Processes that were stuck open), it was hit or miss; sometimes I'd have to try two or three times before it would decide to open. Finally, on about the eighth attempt, I started getting questions and prompts from Chrome, and then it decided it would function.

So now that it opens pretty consistently, it's not totally useless. Honestly, though, since I have installed Adblock as an add-on to Firefox it seems faster than Chrome.

To Adrian's points, I'm not having any issues with Combo boxes at all in Chrome. For the Save Link As option, I route JAWS to PC (even though the JAWS cursor reads nothing), and then right-clicked, and I could save the item linked to. And what I was saying in the first part of my message last night was that the program installed without asking anything. It didn't ask if I wanted it to be my default browser; it just made itself so.

What I found most interesting (and helpful) is Chrome's treatment of the mobile version of Facebook. This is going to sound weird, but for instance, in Facebook mobile, if I'm using Chrome I can change my newsfeed between Most Recent and Top Stories. Typically, with other browsers I have to go to the full Facebook site for this option.

I find that Chrome reads a lot more useless information like "article" "article end" "story". And all of these items are on separate lines, so there ends up being a lot more arrowing down.

I'm not sure I'd make it my default, but I may install Adblock for it as well and see if it improves the speed.

Having said all that, I have an I5 desktop with 8 GB of RAM, so even IE does not feel sluggish, and since I installed Adblock in Firefox, Firefox stopped crashing too.

I'm keeping Chrome for now, but at this point Firefox is still my default browser.

--
Brad Martin

Adrian Spratt

Brad,

Thanks for the "save target as" suggestion, which would never have occurred to me. I'll try it the next time I need to perform this action. Another lister made a second suggestion off-list, so I have some testing to do. I'll report back with any success.

It looks like JAWS 15 is the culprit for your problems last night. FS touts specific improvements for each new version of JAWS, but many of the true improvements are not advertised. It's why I keep up with my SMA, which I know is hard for many people.

[...]

My Facebook page where I post online shopping coupons and deals:

Brad Martin

I think JAWS 15 is the reason that Insert Q says Firefox settings are loaded, but I don't think it had anything to do with Chrome refusing to open. The "problem" with having a fast multicore processor (if it can be called a problem) is that if a process gets locked up, you can't tell because the computer doesn't necessarily get sluggish as a result.

Ironically, maybe the reason I'm not having the problems with Combo boxes that you are is that I'm using Firefox scripts (with JAWS 15) instead of whatever Chrome uses in later JAWS versions. Honestly, combo boxes seem to work normally for me in Chrome.

Brad

On 11/11/2015 1:52 PM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw wrote:
[...]

David Moore

Hi all,
I will post a link to an audio tutorial for Google Chrome with in the next two hours. I will demonstrate how it works on many web sites, and take everyone through the Chrome menu. I noticed the difference with my mobile Facebook account as well, and I like the way Chrome renders the Face Book mobile sight much better than in IE or Firefox. Take care all.

[...]

Yes, Chrome works so much better with JAWS 16 and even better with JAWS 17. To save a pod cast, for example, it is so much easier. Just press enter on the link of what you want to save, and a dialog will immediately show and there will be a open button and a save button. Arrow down on the save button to go to save as and press enter. It will save anywhere on your computer. You do not have to press the ctrl n like in IE. Take care and I will have an audio tutorial in two hours posted to the list.

[...]

Gary King

Did you include anything about the Chrome Bookmark Manager in your tutorial? I haven't quite figured out their organization methods yet. I had my bookmarks organized in submenus in IE11.

Gary King
w4wkz@bellsouth.net

[...]

Tim Ford

Hi David,

Thanks so much for all the time you are spending to help us out. When you email the audio link to the list, change the subject line so those of us that are waiting will not have to read all the unrelated emails. Thanks!

Tim Ford