Chrome is Useless!

Brad Martin

Curious about all the hubbub on this list (I hadn't read my Email in a week), I installed Google Chrome. Here are my observations:

1. Chrome never asked me a question, never asked if I wanted it to be my default browser, made itself my default--at least on the account under which I installed it, but otherwise was OK.

2. The first time it opened, it felt remarkably like Firefox, except of course for the single menu, which was fine.

3. Pressing Insert Q told me that the settings JAWS had loaded were for Firefox, although I was using Chrome. Kind of interesting.

4. Now that I've told Firefox to resume being the default browser, Chrome can't decide whether it wants to open on my Admin account or not. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

5. On my personal user account, Chrome will not open. Period. Makes it kind of hard to browse the web. Right click. Double Click. Enter. Nothing.

So I would say the one time it worked, it was fine, although it actually felt slower than Firefox for me, but I didn't get much chance to play with it before it went on strike. I'll keep it for another day and see if it decides to work again, but otherwise, I'm trashing it. I don't need the dead weight.

--
Brad Martin
brad@... <mailto:brad@...>

Dennis Clark <dennis@...>

Hello Brad,
If you're using Windows 7 or later with a start menu, you can type remove, then arrow down to add remove, then arrow down to Google Chrome. Then tab to the right, I think twice, and press enter on remove program. This should remove all vestiges of the program, but just to make certain, I would go to my C drive, and arrow down to Program files (X86). Press enter on this folder, and arrow down to a folder called Google, (if it is still there), then delete this folder. You should be good to go and back where you started before you installed Google Chrome.
All the best,
Dennis

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Hi, Brad.

I began experimenting with Chrome as a skeptic, but it works so fast that I've kept experimenting and just yesterday made it my default. My system is Win7, 64-bit, and I'm using the latest release of JAWS 16. The last thing I want is to be a crusader on something like this, but let me just comment on two of your points.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying with your first point. But even if Chrome isn't asking if you want it to be your default, you can make it so by pressing enter on "settings" in the menu, then searching for default on the Google page that comes up.

As for your third point, Firefox is not named when I press insert-q.

I haven't tried to make another browser my default after doing so for Chrome, so I can't comment on your fourth and fifth points.

Still, while claims that Chrome is "fully" accessible are exaggerated, it isn't "useless." It seems to me that all three main browsers present accessibility problems, and it's a question of picking your poison. A lot might depend on how a particular browser works with the websites a screenreader user tends to visit most often. But I'm perplexed Why Firefox and Chrome should be interacting with each other on your system to the detriment of Chrome.

[...]

My Facebook page where I post online shopping coupons and deals:

Gerald Levy

Which is precisely why Eric Damery discourages JAWS users from installing Chrome. Google, which has shown little commitment to accessibility, still needs to make Chrome more screen-reader friendly, and so for now, IE an Firefox remain better browser options.

Gerald

[...]

ratshtron <northstar1950@...>

hmmm, i switched to crome as well because with ie it was very sluggish and firefox started placing ads at the bottom the pages that would make my litetalk go crazy with speaking stuff not on the screen. crome does work great for me as well.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 11/11/2015 04:57 AM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw said:
[...]

Gary King

Brad,
When I open Google Chrome using the latest version of JAWS 16, I find that Google Chrome settings are loaded. What version of JAWS are you using? I think JAWS used Firefox settings in the past, but now has support for Chrome.

Gary King
w4wkz@...

[...]

You are correct; I am using JAWS 15.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Martin via Jfw" <jfw@...>
[...]

i am using jaws 15 with crome and i do not have any trouble doing what i need to do with the internet.