From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Dennis Clark via Jfw
Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2015 4:40 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Dennis Clark
Subject: Google Chrome and Youtube

Hello Everyone,
While going to several youtube videos using Chrome, I noticed something that I had not noticed before using IE or Firefox. When the page launched, an advertisement started to play, but in the background I could hear Jaws announce that an advertisement was playing and that it could be stopped. As I arrowed down, I could make out that there was a button to stop the advertisement, and when I pressed the space bar, the advertisement stopped instantly and the Youtube video immediately started playing. I am not using the latest IE or Firefox, so it is possible that each of these browsers report the same information, but this is the first time I have heard the stop option. It also reports the length of the advertisement and how much has already played. I'm curious to know if what I have described is present with the current versions of IE and or Firefox.
Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis Clark <dennis@...>

Hi Adrian,
I didn't know about F5 to terminate advertisements on Youtube. I usually try hitting escape which sometimes works, but more often than not, it simply starts a new advertisement.
So again Adrian, thanks for yet another tip.
Bes,
Dennis

This announcement, which does appear visually, is never picked up by IE. I don't use Firefox often enough to comment. Remember, F5 will cut short an ad if that option appears on-screen, whether or not verbalized by JAWS.

[...]

Mario

in my experience, using IE 10 and JAWS 16, it is announced when the ad can be skipped. that's when you press f5. if it isn't announced that the ad can be skipped, pressing f5 starts the ad playing again.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrian Spratt via Jfw"
<jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Mario, I don't hear that announcement using IE11. Interesting that you do with IE10. Once in a while F5 will cause an ad to restart, but those are the short ones. F5 is ideal to cut short the long, rambling ads that often show up on YouTube.

[...]

sometimes, I ran across times where f5 didn't skip the ads. I could be wrong, but I think the author or youtube selectively allows the skipping of ads. I recall there is an icon, graphic or button that appears visually that a sighted user can click to skip the ad.
btw, I am curious to see how NVDA behaves with dealing with ads on youtube.

On 11/9/2015 9:36 AM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Yes, you're correct. However, for those of us who don't get that skip ad message, F5 is worth a try, especially in light of so many long ads at YouTube.

[...]

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I am using win 8.1 and IE11, I hear the skip ad announcement regularly. I hit jawsKey f5 press the letter S a couple of times and find the skip ad button. Pressing on the button stops the ad playing.
Tom Bisset