From: Dennis Clark via Jfw
Sent: Sunday, November 8, 2015 4:39 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Dennis Clark
Subject: Google Chrome and Youtube

Hello Everyone,
While going to several youtube videos using Chrome, I noticed something that I had not noticed before using IE or Firefox. When the page launched, an advertisement started to play, but in the background I could hear Jaws announce that an advertisement was playing and that it could be stopped. As I arrowed down, I could make out that there was a button to stop the advertisement, and when I pressed the space bar, the advertisement stopped instantly and the Youtube video immediately started playing. I am not using the latest IE or Firefox, so it is possible that each of these browsers report the same information, but this is the first time I have heard the stop option. It also reports the length of the advertisement and how much has already played. I'm curious to know if what I have described is present with the current versions of IE and or Firefox.
Thanks,
Dennis

Londa Peterson

This definitely works in IE. I haven't tried it with Firefox.

[...]

Dennis Clark <dennis@...>

Hello Londa,
I'm understanding from your post that using IE on youtube, you hear Jaws announce a button which can be pressed to stop an advertisement from playing, as well as how long the advertisement is, and how much of it has already played. I don't hear this with IE, and several others have said they don't either. Which version of IE are you using, and also which version of Jaws? These specifics will help those of us who are trying to track down the assortment of differences in the various browsers using different versions of Jaws. Thanks for your help.
Dennis

[...]

IE 11 and JAWS 16 and 17. I typically use the B key to find the various
buttons. If the ad can be skipped, i'll find the skip ad button. I have also
heard the paragraph about when the ad can be skipped if I use the arrow
keys. Come to think of it, though, I think I've only heard this in Windows
8.1 or 10. I don't think I've come across it in Windows 7. I don't know if
that helps or not.

[...]

Hi Londa,
Your observations help a lot, because we are trying to gather together all the puzzle pieces. I think Adrian did not see the text and buttons with IE 11, but I don't know that he is using windows 8. Like you I use the B key to jump through the buttons, but before Chrome, I had never before heard the button to stop the ad. Of course its tough to hear anything from Jaws while the ad is playing.
Thanks for your help.
Dennis

[...]

It helps that I also have a Braille display. I have also heard it spoken
though.

[...]

David Moore

Hi all,
From what I understand, Londa is using Google Chrome to hear this
information. This is just one more advantage of using Chrome over using IE. That is what Londa means. Take care.

[...]

No, I don't use Chrome. I use Internet explorer. I'm looking forward to your
tutorial though. I plan on giving it a try.