From: Adrian Spratt via Jfw
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt
Subject: Chrome and bookmarks/favorites

Hi.

I can't get favorites, which Chrome calls bookmarks, to work as quickly as they do in IE. Here's what I've figured out so far. I hope the gaps can be filled in.

You get to bookmarks by pressing alt for the menu, then arrowing down. Press enter on bookmarks. Here, I'm told that the shortcut control-shift-b brings up bookmarks, but that shortcut isn't working on my system when I'm outside this menu. Each time I have to go through the menu.

In IE, I press alt-a to bring up my favorites list, and first-letter navigation works. I can't find anything this simple using Chrome.

One item in the bookmarks submenu allows you to import favorites settings. I clicked on this, tabbed through the options, and was told at the end that I was successful. However, nothing seems to have been imported.

Any ideas?

Ann Byrne

In windows 7, Favorites can be accessed by pressing Windows key, then tab, then enter, then 'f' or down arrowing to the favorites list. This should be independent of your browser. So if you just want one favorite, it might be faster to go that way.

At 10:35 AM 11/7/2015, you wrote:

Which explains why Eric Damery still advises JAWS users to avoid Chrome. As far as he is concerned, Chrome is still not ready yet for prime time.

Gerald

-----Original Message----- From: Adrian Spratt via Jfw
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

Hi.

I can't get favorites, which Chrome calls bookmarks, to work as quickly as they do in IE. Here's what I've figured out so far. I hope the gaps can be filled in.

You get to bookmarks by pressing alt for the menu, then arrowing down. Press enter on bookmarks. Here, I'm told that the shortcut control-shift-b brings up bookmarks, but that shortcut isn't working on my system when I'm outside this menu. Each time I have to go through the menu.

In IE, I press alt-a to bring up my favorites list, and first-letter navigation works. I can't find anything this simple using Chrome.

One item in the bookmarks submenu allows you to import favorites settings. I clicked on this, tabbed through the options, and was told at the end that I was successful. However, nothing seems to have been imported.

Any ideas?

Adrian Spratt

Thank you, Ann. Needless to say, it works. However, with IE as my default, naturally when I click a favorite, IE takes over. I won't make Chrome my default until various problems are solved. It would be nice to find Chrome "fully" accessible because it runs much better than the other browsers, but I'm not yet convinced. I hope David Moore can address bookmarks and other issues.

Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

[...]

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D.

Hi,

I have 8 items listed after the Enter you describe, but no Favorites. Is there a way to add it? Thanks, Keith

Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

[...]

scrubbed...

David Moore

Hi all,
David Moore here. I can tell you now how to work with book marks in Chrome. To put a web page in your book marks, press ctrl + D. It is saved right then. Now, to Look and open your book marks, just press alt and down arrow through the chrome menu until you hear book marks. Next, press right arrow to open up your book marks, and just press enter on the one you want to open up. I will tell you about other features as I figure them out and some time this week, I hope to do an audio tutorial for Chrome. Take care.

Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

[...]

I can elaborate on this. Note that the term "bookmarks" in Chrome means the same thing as "favorites" in IE.

First, the fastest way I've found to get to book marks is to press alt, down arrow once, then press b. From there, as David says, right arrow into the main bookmarks menu, which includes bookmarks created in Chrome, and arrow up or down through the options.

However, first-letter navigation through this main bookmarks menu is risky. When entering this menu, do not press "I." It seems to take me to the bookmarks bar, which I find inefficient and confusing. This impairs the value of using bookmarks in this list, at least for me, because I use first-letter navigation in my IE favorites list all the time.

However, as I mentioned in an earlier post, Chrome makes it very easy to import IE favorites. In the main bookmarks menu, arrow to "Import book marks and settings..." Press enter and start tabbing.

Now that I've imported my IE settings, I now arrow down through the main bookmarks menu to "Imported from IE " to access the favorites/bookmarks I've created over the years. At that point, right arrow twice to enter the IE favorites/bookmarks list. First-letter navigation works fine here.

The bookmarks shortcut, control-shift-b, doesn't immediately work, and I'm confused by what it actually does do. This so-called bar, once I finally get there, requires tabbing, and first-letter navigation doesn't work. I've unchecked "Show bookmarks bar" by pressing enter on this main bookmarks menu item.

Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Adrian. When you say that Bookmarks in Chrome is like Favorites in Internet Explorer, do you know if Bookmarks in Chrome are stored as shortcuts the way IE stores them, or does Chrome store Bookmarks in a data file the way Firefox does?

Thank you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12534 (20151108) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12534 (20151108) __________

http://www.eset.com

David Moore

Hi Bill,
Book marks are stored in Chrome just like they are in Firefox. Unfortunately, just like Firefox, you cannot go to your favorites folder on your computer and get them there. Only IE favorites are stored in that favorites folder on your computer. Do you know how to download the bookmarks you save in Firefox? I like to save all of my favorites on my external disk drive. That is easy for IE favorites, however, book marks are not stored in the favorites folder under your name on the C drive. I had to bring up each book mark in Firefox, copy the URL, and paste it in IE and save it as a favorite in IE so it would go into the favorites folder on the computer. Take care.

Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

[...]

Hi, David. I don't save favorites the traditional way in Firefox. I use an AdOn called PlainOldFavorites which you can get from the folowing link:

http://www.iosart.com/firefox/plainoldfavorites/

This causes Firefox to save Favorites the same way as Internet Explorer does, and in the same folder as IE does.

Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

[...]

Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...>

Well, if you sign into chrome with your google account, it might just
store the bookmarks in the cloud and have them ready for you in the
case of a new instal.

Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2015 10:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Adrian Spratt

[...]

database 12534 (20151108) __________

http://www.eset.com

Facebook: m.facebook.com/aidan.maher92
Skype: andries4451
Twitter: smarttalk7
Audioboo: www.audioboo.com/DjSpotlight

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I wish that were all there was to it. As stated last week, Last time I used it, it took a sighted friend to help me restart. The repair went well, but it was still a hassle. I doubt it's the same version (mine was put on almost two years ago), but that was enough for me until FS says otherwise.

Ted

[...]

Dennis Clark <dennis@...>

Hello Ted,
We need you to provide more specifics then were included in your post to
appreciate what happened when you installed Chrome. How long ago did the
incident happen? What actually happened, and what did your sighted friend
have to do: remove Chrome, reinstall Jaws, reinstall Windows? Was it perhaps
as a result of this that your department decided that they won't install
Google Chrome instead of a security problem? Were they able to determine if
the crash was caused by Chrome or instead caused by Jaws. Which version of
Jaws were you using at the time, and which version of Windows? Also, just
out of curiosity, which version of Windows is your employer currently using?

Some of us are trying to sort out fact from rumor with respect to the
current Chrome product, so actual details are needed, especially when
reporting problems or even successes with products from years gone by.

With respect to Eric Damry having possibly stated that "Chrome isn't ready
for prime time," this is still just a rumor since no one has directed us to
a location where we can hear or read his statement in context. I can say
though as a former software engineer with IBM, the statement is on its face
nothing more than a glib personal opinion which contains "zero" information
useful to an engineer. The statement sounds like something one would hear
from a marketing person, not an engineer because our brains just don't work
that way.

Regardless whether he said it or not, I am choosing to accept the informed
engineering opinions and practices of computer science professors at Harvard
or Stanford, one of the schools where I studied computer science, over a
"possible" opinion of an employee of a tiny software company whose
engineering credentials I don't know.

the information I provided about David Malan using Chrome in all his current
internet programming classes at Harvard is current, and I further provided
his engineering reasons for choosing to use the product. Had Malan merely
stated that his students should use Chrome because its "totally awesome and
really cool," I would have given his recommendation the same value as I give
"Google isn't ready for prime time," but of course he didn't.

Incidentally, methods and specific programming techniques for implementing
stringent security is a substantial part of all Malan's internet programming
classes, and Chrome has never been pointed out as having any security
problems which one should b aware of and program against. For this reason, I
would definitely like to find out specifically what security problems the
decision maker in your department feels are presented by Chrome for my own
web programming knowledge. If you could arrange for me to talk with this
person by phone or email I would really appreciate your help. I can forward
my phone number to you off list if they would prefer calling me.
Thanks for your assistance.
Dennis

[...]

Hi Ted,
Google Chrome is a totally different program now as compared to two years ago. I tried Chrome two years ago and I could do nothing with Chrome. Now, Chrome is much much more accessible and is the most stable browser there is. Take care, Ted and ask me any questions. I have been using Chrome for all tasks on the Internet, and it blows IE and Firefox away. Take care.