Just switched to WORD 2013, any more hot keys suggestions?

Peter Tesar

Hello,

I just switched from WORD 2003 to 2013. The menu bar has been changed to a ribbon menu for some years now. These ribbons are proving to be an initial hurdle. I'm tabbing and arrowing in a fruitless search for what I want.

When the ribbons first came out, Ihad heard that you could use some of the old Menu Bar hot keys, but that isn't exactly true.

Alt+F doesn't bring up the old File menu.

Some of you provided the hot keys for changing the font.

How do I do a "save as"? That was in the File menu.
If I do a "alt+f a" I get a save as tab. There is no edit field.

How do I open a file? The ctrl+o gives me the open tab and recently opened documents.
There is no edit field to type in the drive, path file-name that I used to do.

I got started by using the tree to select an existing WORD document
It was opened by WORD. I could then open it as a recent document.

I just found the JAWS training, as DAISY books. These can be downloaded so I downloaded the VirtualRibbonMenus.exe. It is an executable file. How do I get it into a DAISY book format to transfer to my DAISY player?

Thanks for any help.
Peter T.

Ann Byrne

If you will write me off list so I can get your email address, I will send you a huuuuuuge list of key tips for Office 2007 and above.

Ann
annakb@sbcglobal.net

At 08:55 PM 10/31/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Cliff Self

My favorite hotkey in Word 2013 is F12, which brings up an easy to use Save
As box.

Cliff

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

You can change the font by pressing Alt-O-F or Shift Control-F or, best
of all, Control D, which always has been delete - go figure. I learned
the second and third commands from listers. I too jumped from 2003 to
2013. Actually, I had a brief stint with 2010, which is about the same as
2013.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

That guy has been around, and that's a real favorite with me too.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

If you remember the commands from Word 2003, you can use most of them. But you can't open a menu and select one. So to get to the format paragraph dialog, you have to type alt-o, then p. To get to 'change case', it's alt-o, then e. Save-as is alt-f, then a, or f12.

Good luck! the transition is a stinker, but eventually it's manageable.

At 07:05 AM 11/1/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

How do you get the list of keyboard commands for Office2010 and above? Does anybody have a link for it?

Thank you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12498 (20151101) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12498 (20151101) __________

http://www.eset.com

Peter Tesar

Thanks Ann,

I'm making headwaywith WORD 2013.

Your suggestion to get to save-as by using the old:
alt+F then a
only gets me to the save-as tab. Inow know that I have to select a button for the folder and that brings up the edit box.

The F12 gets me directly into the edit box where I can type thepath/fileName.

I still don't know how to open a file from inside WORD. The ctrl+o gets me the open tab. Only recent documents are shown.

I need an edit box to type the path/file so I can open a text file from within WORD.
Existing WORD files can be opened by selecting them from the directory tree.

The large WORD hot keys file is a problem, maybe the "protected view".

I used F12 to save it as a RTF and text file. It will take time to go through it.

Thanks again.

Peter T

[...]

While you are in the open dialog, tab once to 'type' and put in txt. Open only works for the types in that box. I always go to documents and press enter on the one I want.

Also. If you are using windows 7 or later, you can type the document name in the search field that you get when you press the windows key, and bypass 'open' altogether.

Good luck!

At 11:07 AM 11/1/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Bill, here are a few that I have in a notebook:

Alphabetizing - Alt-H-S-O
Font - Alt-O-F; also Control-D (used to be Delete)
Margins - Alt-P-M-A
Tabs - Alt-O-T
Word Count - Shift-Control-G
Word Breakdown - Control-Insert-W

I wish someone could tell us how to get the document directory from Word
to retrieve a file, when you can't exactly remember the name and need to
go through files to find it.

These are pretty scant, because there are worlds more of them.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Peter, here are some I have in a document file. I still hope we can find out how to get a document directory from a word document.

In Microsoft Word, for count, like Word Count, line count, etc, hit Alt T, W, then arrow up for information.

For font, hit Alt H, f, N

For Mailing, Alt M, E for envelopes and Alt M L for labeling.

For margins, hit Alt P, M, A.

For tabs, Alt O, T.

For word definitions: Shift F7, then F6. It will tell you to put in your word. Then tab to Thesarus English US. Enter, tab until you start getting the definitions. This one is a little tricky and requires maneuvering, but is worth it to find out what stuff means.

Here's what Trudy sent on key strokes:

I don't know your level of computer knowledge and am not trying to insult anyone, but thought that these shortcuts, if you didn't know them already, would be useful information for those of you who didn't know them already.
If you do know them, but have friends who don't, please pass them on.
Or, if you didn't know them yourself and have friends who don't know them, pass them on to those friends too.

Trudy
15 Keyboard Shortcuts You Probably Don't Know
Navigate your computer more easily with the push of a few buttons
By Amanda Greene Posted December 15, 2010 from WomansDay.com
Photo: © Thinkstock
Most expert computer users know the basic keyboard shortcuts, like pressing Control (Ctrl) + P on a PC to print a document. But did you know there are plenty of other useful—not to mention pretty darn cool—key combinations out there? From instantly zooming in to a larger view to quickly closing your browser window, these shortcuts will put the World Wide Web and more at your fingertips—because every second counts.
1. Add a Bookmark
Tab your new favorite website for easy access by bookmarking the page with the following quick trick.
PC: Ctrl + D
Mac: Apple key (see right) + D
2. Delete Forever When you know
you want to nix a file forever—instead of sending it to clog up the recycling bin first––tap the keys below.
PC: Shift + Delete
3. Close Browser Whether your boss walks up while you're reading gossip blogs or your husband comes in the room while you're buying him a gift, close your browser, stat, with this shortcut.
PC: Alt + F4
Mac: Ctrl + Q
4. Show Desktop
If you have lots of windows open on your computer and you want quick access to your desktop—or a super-quick way to hide your work—hit the following keys.> PC: Window key (see right) + D
Mac: F11

5. Find Files or Folders
Forget painstakingly searching all of your folders to find one file. The shortcut below will do the searching for you.
PC: Window key + F
Mac: Apple key (see right) + F
6. Change Zoom Level
Whether you're working on the Web or in a word processing program, zoom in or out with this command.
PC: Ctrl + scroll mouse wheel
Mac: Apple key + plus sign; Apple key + minus sign
7. Reopen Previous Tab in Browser
Have you ever accidentally closed the browser tab you were looking at and had to spend time backtracking to find it again? The shortcut below will restore that page to you almost instantly.
PC: Ctrl + Shift + T
Mac: Apple key + Z
8. Switch Between Open Programs
Navigating between open screens can get confusing. Make it easy to move among all your programs with this quick trick.
PC: Alt + Tab
Mac: Apple key + Tab
9. Take a Screen Shot Capture an image of what you're working on instantly with a screen grab—it's particularly useful for Web pages you can't copy and paste.
PC: Print Screen (then paste [Ctrl + V] into a Word document)
Mac: Apple key + Shift + 3
10. Refresh a Webpage
Whether you're waiting for a new email to arrive or the latest news story to pop up, easily refresh your screen using the keys below.
PC: F5, or Ctrl + R
Mac: Apple key + R
11. Go to a Previous Location in Browser
Time travel with the neat shortcut below, which lets you quickly go back to the webpage you were looking at before your current one.
PC: Alt + ←
Mac: Apple key + [
12. Spelling/Grammar Check
No more excuses: Perfect spelling and grammar is just one keystroke away.
PC or Mac: F7
13. Add "http://www" to Your Browser's Address Bar
The quickest route to your online destination? Just type in the name of the webpage you'd like to go to (for example, type "Google"), then press the following keys to add the "http://www." to the beginning and ".com" to the end.
PC: Ctrl + Enter
Mac: Apple key + Enter
14. Select the Address Bar
When you want to quickly type a new URL into your browser, the shortcut below will easily select the address bar for you, so you can start typing without moving your mouse.
PC: Ctrl + L, or F6
Mac: Apple key + L
15. Launch the Windows Start Menu
Just tap the keys below for an easy way to view your Start Menu options.
PC: Window key, or Ctrl + Esc
JAWS STROKES

Mouse Over – Control enter, enter
Signature in Windows Mail – Control, Insert, Enter,

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

scrubbed...
/201

51031/5273dd44/attachment.html>

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

Definitely goinjg to Documents will get me there. The thing I can't
figure out to do, now that someone on the list mentioned it is be in Word
and hit Control O for Open and then get to my Documents Directory. I even
got to a place that said All Text Files or something like that, but I
could not open that.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

If you have windows 7 or later, press the windows key to get to the search box, then type all or part of the file name there. Don't enter, just arrow down. it should be in your search results.

At 03:07 PM 11/1/2015, you wrote:

[...]

Ok, thanks.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Do you mean a document list, containing all your Word documents? There was an old DOS command, a variation of the DIR" command but I haven't used it in years. I think it was dir > filename.

Ted

[...]

Mcginnis, Barbara

Office 2013 has a backstage view. Ours keeps the last 25 documents that have been opened in the backstage view. Assuming your documents are saved in documents, I usually press Control plus O, then shift plus tab one time and use my up arrow to find my document and press Enter.

[...]

________________________________

Kimber Gardner

I believe there's a setting where you can tell Word how many documents
you want listed in recent documents.

On 11/2/15, Mcginnis, Barbara via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an
authorized State official. Unauthorized disclosure of juvenile, health,
legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information, including
confidential information relating to an ongoing State procurement effort, is
prohibited by law. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete all records of this email.
Kimberly

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I never used Control D, always used the Delete key, so had no idea in the world that it served any purpose except Delete.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Back with Office 2003, I could be in what they then called Microsoft Word, and hit Control O, then shift tab to the left, and I kept what was then My Documents as the directory of choice. I could arrow up and down through the thing, hit enter on anything I wanted. Every now and then, my husband would get another directory on there, and I can't remember what I did to finagle My Documents to be the one right to the left. Yes. With Word and Documents, I can get the last documents I have opened, just see no way to full access other than just go to Documents. Also, when sending attachments, I could do that too, which was way cool.

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

I probably have 130-135 over there, so Documents probably wouldn't want to list all of them.

Bye for now,

Carolyn