Problem with New JAWS v16.0.4463 and Outlook 2010

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Hi all. I have my Outlook mailbox views set up as grid views, one line per
message, with columns for attachment, sender, subject, received date, and
size. It's not the default view, but I imagine it's a fairly common
customization that many Outlook users employ.

Prior to today's v16.0.4463 upgrade, as I arrowed to each message, JAWS
would say the word "unread" if the message is unread, followed by the
sender's name, followed by the subject, received date, and size. Basically
it would read every column for the highlighted email message.

After the upgrade, this is no longer the case. I still get "unread"
announced correctly for an unread email, but nothing else is read aloud.
Arrowing down through messages I've already read results in JAWS being
completely silent. INSERT+UP ARROW to read current line reads nothing.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

I've emailed FS's support email address, and am awaiting a response.
-Paul

Bissett, Tom <tom.bissett@...>

I don't know if this is the same problem but I find that some times my outlook acts the same as you describe. I find that if I maximize the window and alt tab away and back fixes the problem and it begins to read correctly again.
Tom Bisset

[...]

Thanks Tom, but nothing I've tried so far restores normal behavior. This
seems to be permanently broken in the new JAWS update that was just released
today.
-Paul

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Glad you posted so quickly. I already have the thing downloaded, but I'll try it at home first. I need an admin to install here anyway.

Ted

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I still have the latest 16. Do you have 17? And it is not reading for you
in Outlook?

Bye for now,

Carolyn

[...]

Tom Lange

Hi Paul. I installed build 4463 and took it for a spin with Outlook 2010 on my Windows 8.1 machine and it worked fine. Everything read as I expected it too. I was, however, using the default view that I always use.

How is your Outlook view different from the default? Just curious.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 14, 2015, at 12:45 PM, Paul Martz via Jfw <jfw@...> wrote:

[...]

judith bron

Now that I installed the new version my recent documents file in Word
doesn't work properly. I hit Alt F, the letter R and the recent documents
folder is there but it only has two documents there. Before the download it
had at least 10. Is there a way to repair this? Thanks, JB

wrote:

[...]

Hi Tom. Thanks for your help with this.

I reset my folder view to the default, but I still get the same behavior:
arrowing down through the list of messages causes JAWS to say nothing,
except when it lands on an unread message, and then JAWS announces "unread"
but that's it. JAWS doesn't announce the sender, subject, or date.

For my typical folder view, I change the following settings:
- Turn the reading pane off.
- Go into View Settings, Group By, and uncheck "Automatically group
according to an arrangement".
- Finally, back in the ribbon UI, select the "Show As Conversations"
checkbox.
But this is irrelevant, as I get the same behavior, whether I'm using my
settings or the default view settings.

Other things I've tried:
- I completely uninstalled JAWS including shared modules, but kept my user
settings. Then reinstalled the current JAWS release.
- I noticed I had some custom outlook2010 files in my user settings,
probably when I was tinkering around with scripts. So I deleted those, then
rebooted.
But, doing the above has had no effect.

Still stumped!
-Paul

Hi Paul. I installed build 4463 and took it for a spin with Outlook 2010
on my
Windows 8.1 machine and it worked fine. Everything read as I expected it
too. I was, however, using the default view that I always use.

How is your Outlook view different from the default? Just curious.

Tom

Dale Alton <blinkydale@...>

What about changing the custom outlook list, with an jaws key+f2? Within
here you are able to change what part of the message line is read.
HTH

Denver Dale

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Paul,

This behavior reminds me of the times I've somehow minimalized Outlook 2010. If this is the problem, the solution is to focus on the Outlook window, press alt-space, then x for maximize.

For what it's worth, even though the problem arose after installation of a JAWS update and this action apparently caused the change, it doesn't sound like a JAWS issue.

[...]

And here's another one. I can't access any of my documentds. Any
suggestions? JB

[...]

Thanks for everyone's continued help with this issue.

It is not a problem with the Outlook window being minimized. The behavior is
the same whether the window is maximized or "restored".

I also played around with the "Customize Outlook Message List" JAWS manager,
a very cool little tool that I hadn't heard of before, and again no luck.
Regardless of how I configured this, I still got the same incorrect
behavior.

But I finally figured out a workaround. In the "View" tab of the ribbon UI,
I have to uncheck "Show as Conversation". Once I do that, everything reads
correctly. But if I have that checked, then nothing is read as I arrow down
through my message list. This is not an ideal workaround, as I rather like
to have messages grouped by conversation, but at least I can access my email
again.

I guess my next thing to try would be to completely uninstall JAWS including
my own custom settings, then reinstall, and see if that resolves this issue.
After all, no one else is encountering this problem, so it must be something
specific to my system.

Thanks, all. I consider this closed, and J Bron can go ahead and hijack this
thread now if he wants to. <grin>
-Paul