Non-Tablet Notebooks or Laptops that Work Well with Jaws

Dave Van Der Molen <dvm975@...>

I'm running Jaws 16.

I'm looking for a laptop that doesn't have touch-screen capabilities but works well with Jaws 16.

I want the laptop to have all the keys a desktop keyboard would have, except the numeric keypad. Should have at least 4gb of ram and a fast processor.

One I'm looking at right now is an Acer Aspire ES1 512 P0SY Notebook PC. Are Acer Aspire notebooks usually okay to use with Jaws?

Thanks.

Dave

Maria Campbell

Any laptop of that type should work with JAWS.
I've been using Toshiba laptops for years.

On 10/8/2015 2:24 PM, Dave Van Der Molen via Jfw wrote:
I'm running Jaws 16.

I'm looking for a laptop that doesn't have touch-screen capabilities but
works well with Jaws 16.

I want the laptop to have all the keys a desktop keyboard would have,
except the numeric keypad. Should have at least 4gb of ram and a fast
processor.

One I'm looking at right now is an Acer Aspire ES1 512 P0SY Notebook
PC. Are Acer Aspire notebooks usually okay to use with Jaws?

Thanks.

Dave

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

Londa Peterson

I haven't used this particular model, but I had an Acer Aspire that worked
well for me for about 5 years of very heavy use.

I'm looking for a laptop that doesn't have touch-screen capabilities but
works well with Jaws 16.

I want the laptop to have all the keys a desktop keyboard would have,
except the numeric keypad. Should have at least 4gb of ram and a fast
processor.

One I'm looking at right now is an Acer Aspire ES1 512 P0SY Notebook
PC. Are Acer Aspire notebooks usually okay to use with Jaws?

Thanks.

Dave

gary melconian <gmelconian619@...>

Good luck as that almost all laptops now a days have touch. You don't have
ot use the touch . you can just he device as a regular laptop. Whats the
budget your looking for. You could get by with a $500 or $700 dell or HP
laptop. This will way iit will have windows 10 out of he box and you don't
have to worry about updating ot that. Als then your JFW if you have 16 will
work really well with windows 10. If I was in the market for a laptop
that's what I would do.

Dave Van Der Molen <dvm975@...>

Just thought that if it didn't have touch, it would be cheaper.

Dave

On 10/09/2015 11:55 AM, gary melconian via Jfw wrote:
Good luck as that almost all laptops now a days have touch. You don't have
ot use the touch . you can just he device as a regular laptop. Whats the
budget your looking for. You could get by with a $500 or $700 dell or HP
laptop. This will way iit will have windows 10 out of he box and you don't
have to worry about updating ot that. Als then your JFW if you have 16 will
work really well with windows 10. If I was in the market for a laptop
that's what I would do.

Brad Martin

As someone else asked, what's your budget? At work, (I work for a non-profit, so we're always thinking cheap but functional), I've found a source for refurbished laptops. I've never been a fan of refurbs, but we bought four of them last year and had zero problems with them. I've also ordered a couple of their desktops, which worked well also. With this particular site, everything they have is pretty much Windows 7. You just have to be careful. Lately they've been offering machines with lots of RAM, but a 32-bit version of Windows which can't take advantage of it. If you've got the money for new, there's nothing wrong with that; but if you're on a tight budget, something like this might work for you; and compared to the Aspire you referenced, it's got a much faster processor, higher cache (though smaller hard drive), and definitely powerful enough to do most anything. And with coupon code TECH you can get it for around $340, though it looks like they only have one of this particular model left. A Latitude 5430 is a tank, and probably about two to three years old. Link is here:
http://arrowdirect.com/dell-latitude-e5430-2-70ghz-intel-core-i5-gen3-320gb-8192mb-3.html

For what it's worth.

Brad Martin
brad@formyfriends.org