problem with creating a folder

judith bron

I just tried creating a folder in Word. I went to My Documents, hit the
applications key and arrowed down. I never got a New command. Does anyone
have additional advice on creating a folder? Best, Judith

dennis

try typing control plus n.

On 9/25/2015 7:33 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I just tried creating a folder in Word. I went to My Documents, hit the
applications key and arrowed down. I never got a New command. Does anyone
have additional advice on creating a folder? Best, Judith

judith bron

OK, I created it using Control N. Then I tried naming it, exiting out of it
and accessing it through my documents. It wasn't there. When I went back
to applications all my folders are there but all except the one I just
created are also in the documents folder. What's going on? Am I doing
something wrong? Thanks, Judith

On 9/25/2015 7:33 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I just tried creating a folder in Word. I went to My Documents, hit
the applications key and arrowed down. I never got a New command.
Does anyone have additional advice on creating a folder? Best, Judith

scrubbed...

Martin Blackwell

I believe the shortcut key for new folders is Control + Shift + N. That's
what I do anyway.

Martin

On 9/25/2015 7:33 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I just tried creating a folder in Word. I went to My Documents, hit
the applications key and arrowed down. I never got a New command.
Does anyone have additional advice on creating a folder? Best, Judith

scrubbed...

Kimber Gardner

You probably didn't create it under documents. Try going back into
word and go through the steps to create a new folder once again. This
time instead of creating another folder, back tab from the new folder
name and see where your folders are being placed when you creat them.
Once you know where the folder was created, cancel out of that
operation and go to wherever your new folder is.

I hope that's clear.

Kimber

On 9/25/15, j Bron via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
OK, I created it using Control N. Then I tried naming it, exiting out of
it
and accessing it through my documents. It wasn't there. When I went back
to applications all my folders are there but all except the one I just
created are also in the documents folder. What's going on? Am I doing
something wrong? Thanks, Judith

On 9/25/2015 7:33 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I just tried creating a folder in Word. I went to My Documents, hit
the applications key and arrowed down. I never got a New command.
Does anyone have additional advice on creating a folder? Best, Judith

scrubbed...
Kimberly

Adrian Spratt

We don't know which operating system you're using. "My documents" suggests XP. What I'm about to write refers to Windows 7, but if memory serves, it also works in XP.

This is a simple operation, but hard to explain. If the other methods people have suggested don't work for you, try this one:

Instead of pressing the applications key, press alt-f.

Then press w for "new."

When you land on "new," you'll notice it is followed by ellipses. This means you need to press enter to proceed.

The first item JAWS verbalizes will be "Folder." Press enter to land on an edit field.

Type in the desired name of the folder. Press enter.

The folder should appear the next time you open documents.

On 9/25/2015 7:33 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I just tried creating a folder in Word. I went to My Documents, hit
the applications key and arrowed down. I never got a New command.
Does anyone have additional advice on creating a folder? Best, Judith

scrubbed...

judith bron

I was finally able to save the folder in my Documents. I now possess a
folder "articles worksheets" and all of my ideas are in one folder. How did
I do it? Keep laughing, Judith

On 9/25/2015 7:33 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I just tried creating a folder in Word. I went to My Documents, hit
the applications key and arrowed down. I never got a New command.
Does anyone have additional advice on creating a folder? Best,
Judith

scrubbed...
/
20150925/6fa29d55/attachment.html>

Kimberly

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

I think the problem you ran into was that you had something selected in the
list view. When something is selected in the list view, the context menu
does not contain a New submenu. You must unselect your current selection
with CONTROL + SPACE first, and then the New submenu will be available.

Here's some info about how I use the application key to create new folders.

You can always see your current location by hitting ALT + D to go to the
address window. INSERT + UP ARROW to read the contents, if necessary. Do
this to verify you're about to create the folder in the correct / desired
location.

SHIFT + TAB backwards from there to get to the list view (might be something
other than list view, depending on how you've customized it, but I think
list view is pretty common: It's the contents of your current location.

Hit CONTROL + SPACE until you hear it say "not selected". Then hit the
application key to bring up the context menu. Hit W for the New submenu, and
select Folder. You now have a new folder, and you're in edit mode on the
folder name. Type in the desired folder name, then press enter when done.

Good luck.
-Paul

judith bron

Adrian and Kimmer, This is what I did! I hit alt F and followed the
prompts. It worked like a charm and now all my article worksheets are
snuggly in one convenient place! Thanks to everyone! Judith

On 9/25/2015 7:33 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I just tried creating a folder in Word. I went to My Documents, hit
the applications key and arrowed down. I never got a New command.
Does anyone have additional advice on creating a folder? Best, Judith

scrubbed...

judith bron

Paul, In XP and even in 2010 when I want to unselect something I just hit an
arrow key. Is this now obsolete even though it works in most cases that I
know about?

[...]

It sounds like you're talking about text selection in MS Word. If you have
some text selected, and you want to unselect it, you hit an arrow key.
That's totally correct. But I have no idea what that would have to do with
creating folders.

I'm talking about file selection in Windows Explorer list view, or the File
Save dialog list view. This is where you would be creating a folder.

If you're in Windows Explorer list view, or the File Save dialog list view,
hitting up or down arrow changes the selection, but something is still
selected. The only way I know to unselect an item in a list viewis to hit
CONTROL + SPACE, and after that, your context menu will have a New submenu,
so you can create a new folder.

Sorry for any mniscommunication.
-Paul

Paul, In XP and even in 2010 when I want to unselect something I just hit
an
arrow key. Is this now obsolete even though it works in most cases that I
know about?

Adrian Spratt

Paul,

In some menus, JAWS verbalizes either "open" or 'closed" against names of folders that contain subfolders. If closed, pressing the right arrow will open a list of the subfolders.

I'm guessing this is what Judith is referring to, suggesting how she would navigate to the folder she wants.

But this is moot. She's solved her problem.

[...]

Thanks. You were right, I was thinking of unselecting in Word and thought
all these years that anything selected elsewhere would become unselected
with the stroke of an arrow. Thanks for the explanation. JB