Topics

moderated creating short cut on desk top

kevin meyers

I attempted to create a short cut on the desk top for the calculator app. I brought up the start up menu and typed in calculator. I then pressed the application key. I went through the menu and file location doesn’t show up. Is there a reason this app cannot be put on the desk top?

netbat66

which version of windows?
for windows 7 this won't work.
open the start menu, press all programs and open the accessories folder. calculator will be in the list. then open the context menu on it and copy to, then desktop.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 12:27 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: creating short cut on desk top

I attempted to create a short cut on the desk top for the calculator app. I brought up the start up menu and typed in calculator. I then pressed the application key. I went through the menu and file location doesn’t show up. Is there a reason this app cannot be put on the desk top?

If this is under Windows 10 (and, I believe, Windows 8.1) see:  Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Kevin,

What operating system are you running?
Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers.
Sent from my iBarstool.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

----- Original Message -----

kevin meyers

I’m using Windows10 and Jaws2018. No it is not go Dodgers…it is go Brewers!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Monday, June 4, 2018 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: creating short cut on desk top

Hi Kevin,

Sent from my iBarstool.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Nino Dagostino

Hi:

There a couple ways to do this.

The first way is to

1make sure that you are on the desktop

2 press the control key and the spacebar you should here something like unselected

Once you are sure that the desktop is unselected press the just to the right of the alt key on the right

A list of items will open up, as you cursor down the list you will here new

Cursor to the right that will open another list.

On that list will be things like create a document just cursor down until you here  shortcut and press enter.

Adialog box will open you can type the shortcut in directly or you can browse the computer.

Next name the shortcut and click finish.

I hope this will get you started.

Have a good night.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Monday, June 4, 2018 7:51 PM

Hi Kevin,

Sent from my iBarstool.

kevin meyers

There is "all apps checked". There is nothing stating accessories when I tab or hit enter.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of netbat66
Sent: Monday, June 4, 2018 3:02 PM

which version of windows?
for windows 7 this won't work.
open the start menu, press all programs and open the accessories folder.
calculator will be in the list. then open the context menu on it and copy to, then desktop.

I attempted to create a short cut on the desk top for the calculator app. I
brought up the start up menu and typed in calculator. I then pressed the
application key. I went through the menu and file location doesn’t show up. Is
there a reason this app cannot be put on the desk top?

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Kevin,

Well despite you're a Brewers fan I guess I can help you out!  LOL  LOL  Just kidding!  There's a couple of ways we can do this.  The first way I'll tell you where to locate the, calc.exe file to send a shortcut to the desktop.
#1:
1. Go to, C:\Windows\System32, and navigate to the, calc.exe, file, open your context menu, choose the create desktop shortcut option from the Send To submenu, and wham bam you'll have a shortcut on the desktop.

#2, this is the easiest:
Click on the Dropbox link below.  In this download is an already made shortcut that you can just either cut or copy and paste to the desktop, plus several calculator shortcut keystrokes in a text file.

Please let me know when you get the file downloaded so I can remove it from my account.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Brew Drinkers.
Sent from my iBarstool.

Sent: Monday, June 04, 2018 4:51 PM

Hi Kevin,

Sent from my iBarstool.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Kevin. May I suggest the following for the future, when you are trying to create a shortcut on your desktop for an app:

1. Go to your desktop and make sure nothing is selected. To do this: press CONTROL plus SPACE until it says, Not Selected.

2. Press Applications Key or SHIFT plus F10, and Arrow down to New Submenu, and press ENTER.

3. ARROW down to Shortcut and press ENTER.

4. When it asks you to type the location of the shortcut, type

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder

5. TAB to the Next button and press ENTER.

6. When it asks for a name for the shortcut, press the DELETE key and type

AppsFolder.

7. TAB to the Finish button, and press ENTER.

8. Now, on your desktop, you will have a shortcut that reads:

AppsFolder.

9. If you press ENTER on this shortcut, a hidden folder will open containing all your apps.

10. Now, create any shortcut for an app as follows:

11. Press ENTER on the AppsFolder icon.

12. Use First-letter Navigation to find the app for which you want the shortcut on your desktop.

13. ARROW down to Create Shortcut, and press ENTER.

14. When it tells you that a shortcut can’t be created here, and it asks if you want a shortcut on the desktop, press ENTER on Yes.

15. That’s it. Now you will have a shortcut for your desired app on the desktop, along with the AppsFolder shortcut.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Monday, June 4, 2018 12:27 PM

Bill,

Bravo!   Very nice and very clear step-by-step outline.

Yours is a more step-by-step rewriting of what I offered in Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10, that I offered previously and apparently went unread by most.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

Ashleigh Piccinino

I don’t have aany ideas, but you can pin it to your start menu. Then, the next time you need to get to this app, you can just go to your pinned tiles--, tab once until you get into them (first thing might be “life at a glance”) and find it. Unfortunately, you can’t use first-letter navigation here, though. Hope this helps. Of course, the “pin to start” is one of the options in your context menue/usually the first, if I’m not mistaken.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of kevin meyers <kman2020@...>
Sent: Monday, June 4, 2018 2:27:13 PM