Can a Table be Copied from the Internet into Excel?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

Is there some keystroke to select an entire table (or just a row or column
of it) on a webpage, and then be able to paste it into Excel maintaining
such table's row and column structure? For example, when navigating a
webpage, we hear "Table with X columns and Y rows." I wish I could copy that
table and then paste it into Excel retaining the column and row structure.
Being able to do this with a particular row or column would be fantastic!

thanks,

Richard

Mcginnis, Barbara

I just went to the Internet and found a table using the letter t on a website. I actually went to the table and used control plus shift plus the right arrow to select the table, and then the down arrow, pressed Control plus C, opened Excel and pasted it into Excel. The two tables I used worked well but the tables contained text. I have not tried one with numbers. My table said table with 3 row and 11 columns. I actually went to http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_table.asp to find a table.

Is there some keystroke to select an entire table (or just a row or column of it) on a webpage, and then be able to paste it into Excel maintaining such table's row and column structure? For example, when navigating a webpage, we hear "Table with X columns and Y rows." I wish I could copy that table and then paste it into Excel retaining the column and row structure.
Being able to do this with a particular row or column would be fantastic!

thanks,

Richard

________________________________

Dave...

Here's what I do every time I need to copy a table...

First, I copy and paste into MS-Word.

Then I make sure the vertical arrangement has the same number of items and
spaces. e.g. If there are 5 headings, then there are five lines, each
separated by a line break, followed by the first data item. Keep the
sequence exact, every row in the table is 5 lines of text/data separated
with line breaks all the way to the end. This part is a bit tedious for a
very large table. Now select that entire pile of text.

Then I create the table in MS-Word using the "Convert text to table"
function. I tell it the number of columns and use auto-fit. I also make sure
that the separation is paragraph marks. Then hit OK. Now there's a table in
MS-Word that you can check for any misalignment errors. If you have some,
note where they are, and undo the conversion with Ctrl+Z. Go down the list
and fix the error by inserting a blank line or removing an extra line break.
Repeat until you have a good table.

Copy that table and paste into Excel.

Wasn't that easy? Not at first, but you get pretty good when you do it a few
times a month.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

Is there some keystroke to select an entire table (or just a row or column
of it) on a webpage, and then be able to paste it into Excel maintaining
such table's row and column structure? For example, when navigating a
webpage, we hear "Table with X columns and Y rows." I wish I could copy that
table and then paste it into Excel retaining the column and row structure.
Being able to do this with a particular row or column would be fantastic!

thanks,

Richard

Dave...

Barbara,

Well, I've got to give that a try. Seems slightly easier than my old method.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

Is there some keystroke to select an entire table (or just a row or column
of it) on a webpage, and then be able to paste it into Excel maintaining
such table's row and column structure? For example, when navigating a
webpage, we hear "Table with X columns and Y rows." I wish I could copy that
table and then paste it into Excel retaining the column and row structure.
Being able to do this with a particular row or column would be fantastic!

thanks,

Richard

________________________________

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an
authorized State official. Unauthorized disclosure of juvenile, health,
legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information, including
confidential information relating to an ongoing State procurement effort, is
prohibited by law. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete all records of this email.

Mcginnis, Barbara

He wanted to copy it into Excel and not Word.

[...]

Yes, Barbara. In my process, the last step is to copy the completed table
from MS-Word into MS-Excel. I've found this two-step process to be the most
foolproof way to get a table (especially complicated ones with blanks)
copied from any program into Excel.