Uninstalling older versions of JAWS.

Michael Mote

Hi folks! It's been awhile, and I can't remember the best way to uninstall
older versions of JAWS. Should I leave behind the shared components or
uninstall them too? Any suggestions?

Tom Behler

Mike:

When I was working with Freedom Scientific on my Windows 7 computer issues
earlier this Summer, I was told that if I leave shared components on my
system for a normal Jaws un-install, there should be no harm done.

Of course, if you want to clean your machine of Jaws and all related
components completely, that's a different story and a different process.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say on the question.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Hi folks! It's been awhile, and I can't remember the best way to uninstall
older versions of JAWS. Should I leave behind the shared components or
uninstall them too? Any suggestions?

Peter Tesar

Hi,

I just went through the process of installing Windows 10. The Freedom Scientific site:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/Support/TechnicalSupport/Windows10Upgrade

says that you have to first use the utility tool to remove all versions of JAWS prior to the latest version of JAWS 16: 0.4350.

The latest version of Jaws works with Windows 10.

Even if you don't want to install Windows 10, I would suspect that the utility tool can still be used to clean up your computer of older versions of JAWS.

After running the utility tool, I still had JAWS working and it continute to work during the download and install of Windows 10. JAWS stopped when the computer began the first of the several reboots.

Peter T.

On 2015-09-08 12:22 PM, Michael Mote via Jew wrote:
Hi folks! It's been awhile, and I can't remember the best way to uninstall
older versions of JAWS. Should I leave behind the shared components or
uninstall them too? Any suggestions?

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

If you don't care about Windows 10, I guess it doesn't matter much. If you're going to Upgrade, I'd do a complete uninstall and then a JAWS repair to put 16 back in working order.

Ted

Hi folks! It's been awhile, and I can't remember the best way to uninstall
older versions of JAWS. Should I leave behind the shared components or
uninstall them too? Any suggestions?

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Does this tool streamline the uninstall-repair process we're all accustomed to?

On 2015-09-08 12:22 PM, Michael Mote via Jew wrote:
Hi folks! It's been awhile, and I can't remember the best way to
uninstall older versions of JAWS. Should I leave behind the shared
components or uninstall them too? Any suggestions?

scrubbed...

HAMILTON

How did you get JAWS to restart after it stopped with the first system
reboot during the Windows 10 installation process?

Jim H

On 2015-09-08 12:22 PM, Michael Mote via Jew wrote:
Hi folks! It's been awhile, and I can't remember the best way to
uninstall
older versions of JAWS. Should I leave behind the shared components or
uninstall them too? Any suggestions?

Peter Tesar

Hello,

I didn't get JAWS again until the whole process of installing Windows 10 was finished, almost 3 hours.

JAWS was alive for the download phase, about 50 minutes. I could get JAWS to read the progress line showing the percentage completed.

I had sighted assistance after the reboot.

Since, I was told that I could have finished the install process by starting Narrator
with the Windows Key plus ENTER.

The final phase required setting check boxes to allow your loss of privacy. I left it simple by leaving everything to the default.

On some computers, the chevron button has a:
start Windows 10 button

This I did not use because the computer did not have it in the chevron button.

Peter T.

On 2015-09-08 12:22 PM, Michael Mote via Jew wrote:
Hi folks! It's been awhile, and I can't remember the best way to
uninstall
older versions of JAWS. Should I leave behind the shared components or
uninstall them too? Any suggestions?

Marsha <marcatony@...>

HI
If I'm not using windows 10 or Jaws 16, can I uninstall old versions, 12 and 14 in the old way? If so I should leave the common settings?

Tim Ford

In terms of whether to keep or remove the old user settings, my personal preference is to remove. Unless you have made extensive changes to the defaults in JAWS 16, you will be better off having those old versions removed in total. Again, this is my personal preference and experience talking, and others on this list may have a different viewpoint.

Tim Ford

If I'm not using windows 10 or Jaws 16, can I uninstall old versions, 12
and 14 in the old way? If so I should leave the common settings?

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Marsha. You can leave the "Common settings" if you wish. Just be sure not to remove shared components. This will trash JAWS real quick.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12229 (20150909) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12229 (20150909) __________

http://www.eset.com

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

If you really want to start from scratch, you can remove shared components and reinstall. As I've stated on this list before, I only found that necessary once, moving from JAWS 10 to 11 and beyond; some crucial settings were changed in that transition.

Hi, Marsha. You can leave the "Common settings" if you wish. Just be sure not to remove shared components. This will trash JAWS real quick.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com
If I'm not using windows 10 or Jaws 16, can I uninstall old versions,
12 and 14 in the old way? If so I should leave the common settings?

signature database 12229 (20150909) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12229 (20150909) __________

http://www.eset.com

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

One time I removed an old version of
JAWS to install a newer one and it trashed the entire hard drive. Never did recover it.

Howard