detecting formatting in word 2013 especially paragraphs

Jodie Hoger

Hi List,
I am doing an editing exercise using word 2013 and JAWS 16. I need to be able to detect paragraphs in the document so that I can highlight them and change their formatting eg., re-align the paragraph etc.
for the life of me I cannot find the commands to do this. Using a full keyboard.
Thanks for any advice.
Jo

Sent from my iPhone

Kimber Gardner

Hi Jo,

I think what you want is to display paragraph marks so jaws will
indicate when you reach the end of a paragraph. To do this,

Go to options under the file tab by pressing alt F T.
You will find yourself in a list of categories. Arrow down once to
display, then tab over and explore your options for which marks to
display. Make sure to check the box for paragraph marks. Tab to ok and
press enter.

Now when you read your document with the up and down arrows (line by
line, you will hear jaws say "paragraph mark" when you reach the end
of a paragraph.

I hope this helps.

Kimber
Tab

On 9/7/15, Jodie Hoger via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi List,
I am doing an editing exercise using word 2013 and JAWS 16. I need to be
able to detect paragraphs in the document so that I can highlight them and
change their formatting eg., re-align the paragraph etc.
for the life of me I cannot find the commands to do this. Using a full
keyboard.
Thanks for any advice.
Jo

Sent from my iPhone
Kimberly

Adrian Spratt

Kimber,

In Word 2013, does the control-shift-8 (on the number row) still function as a toggle for this symbol? It might be simpler. (I still work with 2010.)

Also, the JAWS key-v quick setting dialog might help. Type I into the search field and arrow down through the results.

[...]

Adrian,

That's odd. I get nothing when I press control-shift-8 either in word
2010 or 2013 except for the announcement of the keys I've pressed.

Kimber

On 9/8/15, Adrian Spratt via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

Ann Byrne

How about alt-h, then 8?

At 07:17 AM 9/8/2015, you wrote:
[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Kimber. There is no announcement when you press CONTROL plus SHIFT plus 8. It just makes the change without telling you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12220 (20150908) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12220 (20150908) __________

http://www.eset.com

HAMILTON

HI:

As usual, I have a "take charge/control" approach to this kind of thing.
First, I go into JAWS Keyboard Manager. I find the section that allows you
to read things like "Prior" and "next", regarding "word", sentence" and
"paragraph. I then set keystrokes for each. For example, in my case, I
have ctrl+numpad Home", set for previous paragraph, ctrl+numpad up arrow for
"current paragraph" and ctrl+numbad "page up" for "next paragraph". But,
that's just how "I" like it. You can set it up as you wish - or, use the
JAWS values, if there are any already set forth for these settings.

In your case, I would then move to the "select..,." part of this Keyboard
Manager list, and set shift+ctrl+numpad "page up" for selecting the "next
paragraph", assuming that I wish to select, and copy/cut and paste my "next
paragraph, as my keystrokes to accomplish this. Then, I can move it
anywhere, and make whatever editing changes I want to make to that paragraph
- as it seems you wish to do.

Frankly, I do not know the other suggestions that have been put forward to
this question. However, as I mentioned, I like to "be in charge", and I
prefer this kind of approach. And, once these Keyboard Manager setting
changes have been made, I can do what I want, editing-wise, without worrying
about what I may need to do with the word/sentence/paragraph after moving
it.

Good luck. You will find what works best for you, and that may not be the
same as what works for me!

JimH

[...]

database 12220 (20150908) __________

http://www.eset.com

Steve Griffiths

Hi Jodie,

If you just want to move by paragraph, Ctrl-Down or Ctrl-Up will do it; you can add Shift to select by that amount.

If you want, you can also put paragraph marks on the screen so that, even if you're arrowing through a document, you'll know where paragraphs end. The "paragraph mark" is the character that you get when you press the Enter key, but usually it's not visible because most people aren't bothered about it.

The Ctrl-Shift-8 keystroke that's been mentioned adds a number of "non-printing" marks to the screen, including paragraph marks, spaces and Tabs. Recent versions of JAWS don't read these, and I think this is because people often pressed the command by mistake, and then couldn't get rid of the extra information JAWS was reading out.

But you can still add just paragraph marks to the screen from the Options dialogue. Press Alt, F, T to open the dialogue. DownArrow to Display, then Tab to Paragraph marks. Press Space to toggle the setting to checked. Then press Enter to close the dialogue. When you do it this way, JAWS will read the paragraph marks that are now on screen.

Hope that helps,
Steve

---
Steve Griffiths
Senior Assistive Technology Assistant
Working from home in Lancaster
E: steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk
I am doing an editing exercise using word 2013 and JAWS 16. I need to be able to detect paragraphs in the document so that I can highlight them and change their formatting eg., re-align the paragraph etc.
for the life of me I cannot find the commands to do this. Using a full keyboard.
Thanks for any advice.
Jo

Sent from my iPhone

Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Website: www.guidedogs.org.uk
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Open your document, go to File. Go to Options. Tab to Advanced, and start looking. It's a big list, but what you want is there. You want to be able to see the paragraph marks in Word. You also have options for spaces and tabs.

Ted

I am doing an editing exercise using word 2013 and JAWS 16. I need to be
able to detect paragraphs in the document so that I can highlight them and
change their formatting eg., re-align the paragraph etc.
for the life of me I cannot find the commands to do this. Using a full
keyboard.
Thanks for any advice.
Jo

Sent from my iPhone

signature database 12227 (20150909) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 12227 (20150909) __________

http://www.eset.com

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

What about alt h followed by 8...

Kimsan Song
kimsansong@gmail.com

[...]

Interesting, the keystroke you mentioned didn't work for me, nor did the one
I just offered her. It use to work before 2013...

So, 2013 users must take the long route to make this happen?

Kimsan Song
kimsansong@gmail.com

[...]

That keystroke didn't work for me either.

Sent from Kimber's iPhone

On Sep 10, 2015, at 12:54 AM, Kimsan via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

I stand corrected re: my earlier instructions. The display tab is, indeed, the one used to show paragraphs, tabs, spaces. Advanced has a bunch of options, including several "show" options, but not those.

[...]

Mcginnis, Barbara

Control Shift 8 is the show/hide paragraph feature in Word. It has worked in all word programs since Office 97. I have Office 365/13 now and it still works.

[...]

________________________________

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

I'm aware of what it is and either keystrokes work for me.

Kimsan Song
kimsansong@gmail.com

[...]

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the North
Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an
authorized State official. Unauthorized disclosure of juvenile, health,
legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information, including
confidential information relating to an ongoing State procurement effort, is
prohibited by law. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete all records of this email.

Ann Byrne

Has the JAWS feature been mentioned? JAWS under insert-v under 'editing' has a 'lines and paragraphs' feature which can be toggled off and on.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Maybe the person is not using the number 8 on the numbers row, and instead, is trying to use the number 8 on the NumPad. This keystroke will not work. It must be the number 8 on the numbers row above the letter I.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12229 (20150909) __________

http://www.eset.com