Firefox 40 question

Tom Behler

Hello, everyone.

Typically, with Firefox, I use the control L command, after which I can
paste a web site address into the edit box, and hit enter. I'm then able to
open The web site from that point.

However, I'm finding that the control L command no longer works with
Firefox 40.

Has anyone noticed this change, and are there good work-arounds?

I have gotten to the point where I actually prefer Firefox to Internet
Explorer for accessing and navigating web sites, so this apparent change in
Firefox behavior is somewhat disconcerting.

I'm using Jaws 16 and Windows 7 here.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Gennie Eachus <geachus@...>

Yes, Have had this problem for several days. Firefox keeps crashing and has
to restart. Control-l let me type one web address, but when I tried
control-l for another address, it wouldn't work.

Typically, with Firefox, I use the control L command, after which I can
paste a web site address into the edit box, and hit enter. I'm then able to
open The web site from that point.

However, I'm finding that the control L command no longer works with
Firefox 40.

Has anyone noticed this change, and are there good work-arounds?

I have gotten to the point where I actually prefer Firefox to Internet
Explorer for accessing and navigating web sites, so this apparent change in
Firefox behavior is somewhat disconcerting.

I'm using Jaws 16 and Windows 7 here.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Tom Behler

Jenny:

I can't even get it to work with one address, let alone multiple addresses.

Would be interested in any fixes people come up with.

For now, reluctantly, it's back to Internet Explorer.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Yes, Have had this problem for several days. Firefox keeps crashing and has
to restart. Control-l let me type one web address, but when I tried
control-l for another address, it wouldn't work.

Typically, with Firefox, I use the control L command, after which I can
paste a web site address into the edit box, and hit enter. I'm then able to
open The web site from that point.

However, I'm finding that the control L command no longer works with
Firefox 40.

Has anyone noticed this change, and are there good work-arounds?

I have gotten to the point where I actually prefer Firefox to Internet
Explorer for accessing and navigating web sites, so this apparent change in
Firefox behavior is somewhat disconcerting.

I'm using Jaws 16 and Windows 7 here.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

majno <alfred.hl@...>

i have firefox 41 and ctrl l works well. may be in this version that problem was solved, or just work in some ocations.

El 31/08/2015 a las 20:08, Tom Behler via Jfw escribió:
[...]

Well, if a fix cannot be arrived at for Firefox 40, I'd be happy to update to FF 41, if that indeed solves the problem.

If someone can tell me how to do this, I can give it a try.

Otherwise, I'll continue to follow the thread for possible Firefox 40 fixes.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Yes, Have had this problem for several days. Firefox keeps crashing
and has to restart. Control-l let me type one web address, but when I
tried control-l for another address, it wouldn't work.

Typically, with Firefox, I use the control L command, after which I
can paste a web site address into the edit box, and hit enter. I'm
then able to open The web site from that point.

However, I'm finding that the control L command no longer works with
Firefox 40.

Has anyone noticed this change, and are there good work-arounds?

I have gotten to the point where I actually prefer Firefox to Internet
Explorer for accessing and navigating web sites, so this apparent
change in Firefox behavior is somewhat disconcerting.

I'm using Jaws 16 and Windows 7 here.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

scrubbed...
201508
31/9515b391/attachment.html>

Brad Martin

Tom and Gennie,

Control L is working fine for me with Firefox 40.0.3. I have had a couple of occasions where it didn't work for some reason, but they're few and far between. To Gennie's point about Firefox crashing, I discovered that the ads were most of the problem. I installed the Adblock add-on for Firefox, and most of my crashes went away. Occasionally a video will cause Firefox to crash even still, but it's way better than it was without Adblock. (Not to be confused with Adblock+ which I have not tried.)

Tom, I often enter a URL (or paste one) into the Windows Run box. So press Windows key and the letter r, then type or paste in the URL. If Firefox is not your default browser, the process is a little different. Press Windows key and the letter r, then type
firefox url
for instance
firefox www.google.com

There's your work around if you need it.

Brad

On 8/31/2015 8:08 PM, Tom Behler via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Latest version I see on their site, at least in U.S. English, is 40.0.3.

Brad

On 8/31/2015 8:32 PM, Tom Behler via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Firefox has 3 version. Night, Aurora and Standard.

Night is the beta version of Aurora, and Aurora is the beta version for Standard.
Currently night is at version 42 i think, aurora is in 41, and standard in 40.
here you can try with the Aurora.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/

El 31/08/2015 a las 20:32, Tom Behler via Jfw escribió:
[...]

Brad and all:

I just updated to Firefox 40.0.3, and the control L search function command seems to work again.

Hopefully, it will stay that way.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

/
201508
31/9515b391/attachment.html>
Brad Martin
brad@formyfriends.org <mailto:brad@formyfriends.org> My Facebook page where I post online shopping coupons and deals:

Tom Behler

Majno:

Standard version 40.0.3 seems to be working again.

So, I think I'll stick with it for now.

Dr. Tom Behler

[...]

Russell Solowoniuk

I am finding that Firefox 40 keeps switching from one open tab to another without me doing anything but reading a page. It’s quite annoying. It also takes a very long time to load some web pages.

Is anyone else finding Firefox switching tabs on its own?

Thanks,

Russell

On Aug 31, 2015, at 6:06 PM, Gennie Eachus via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

go to firefox option and disable the "load tab check.

El 31/08/2015 a las 21:12, Russell Solowoniuk via Jfw escribió:
[...]

Jane Withers <pitre4@...>

I attempted to use Firefox a year or so ago and had difficulty. Was told by Freedom Scientific that it didi not work well with JAWS.

Typically, with Firefox, I use the control L command, after which I can
paste a web site address into the edit box, and hit enter. I'm then able to
open The web site from that point.

However, I'm finding that the control L command no longer works with
Firefox 40.

Has anyone noticed this change, and are there good work-arounds?

I have gotten to the point where I actually prefer Firefox to Internet
Explorer for accessing and navigating web sites, so this apparent change in
Firefox behavior is somewhat disconcerting.

I'm using Jaws 16 and Windows 7 here.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Tom. After using Firefox for a couple of years, I have found that there are two circumstances where keyboard commands fail to work. The first is when the F11 key has been pressed. This invokes Full-Screen Mode. The menus are hidden, and CONTROL plus L will not work. In this situation, the only thing you need to do is to press F11 a second time to take Firefox out of Full-Screen Mode.

The second circumstance is unpredictable. All of a sudden, none of the commands will work, including the Alt key to bring up the menus. The only thing I have found that works to restore Firefox to working order is to reboot the computer.

When you were having trouble with CONTROL plus L, would the Alt key work to bring up the File Menu?
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

[...]

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12181 (20150831) __________

http://www.eset.com

Brad Martin

I had that problem for a long time on some websites, but it hasn't happened to me in months! When I used to have that problem, it was generally when I had a tab open (but I wasn't on that tab), and that tab kept refreshing itself. When it refreshed, Firefox would start to read it and JAWS would act like I was on that tab, but in fact, I wasn't and interacting with the screen I thought was in front of me didn't work. But again, I can't remember the last time I had that problem.

Oddly, tonight my Firefox started crashing, and I realized my Adblock add-on had been disabled.

Brad

On 8/31/2015 9:12 PM, Russell Solowoniuk via Jfw wrote:
[...]

But if i press two times ctrl + l the address edit field works again, even in full mode view.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Behler via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
[...]

Stan Bobbitt

Hi, I'm using firefox 40.0.3 with windows 7 home, JFW16, and Control-L works fine.

Yes, Have had this problem for several days. Firefox keeps crashing and has
to restart. Control-l let me type one web address, but when I tried
control-l for another address, it wouldn't work.

Typically, with Firefox, I use the control L command, after which I can
paste a web site address into the edit box, and hit enter. I'm then able to
open The web site from that point.

However, I'm finding that the control L command no longer works with
Firefox 40.

Has anyone noticed this change, and are there good work-arounds?

I have gotten to the point where I actually prefer Firefox to Internet
Explorer for accessing and navigating web sites, so this apparent change in
Firefox behavior is somewhat disconcerting.

I'm using Jaws 16 and Windows 7 here.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Gerald Levy

Yes, I have noticed the same behavior with Firefox 40, and it seems to crash or freeze more frequently than previous versions. I'm so fed up with Firefox 40 that I installed the portable version of Firefox 35, which seems to be more stable andJAWS friendly. Keep in mind that unlike IE, you can have multiple versions of Firefox on your PC simultaneously.

Gerald

Typically, with Firefox, I use the control L command, after which I can
paste a web site address into the edit box, and hit enter. I'm then able to
open The web site from that point.

However, I'm finding that the control L command no longer works with
Firefox 40.

Has anyone noticed this change, and are there good work-arounds?

I have gotten to the point where I actually prefer Firefox to Internet
Explorer for accessing and navigating web sites, so this apparent change in
Firefox behavior is somewhat disconcerting.

I'm using Jaws 16 and Windows 7 here.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Michael Mote

I would try pressing Alt D instead of Control L.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 31, 2015, at 6:47 PM, Tom Behler via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hello, everyone.

Typically, with Firefox, I use the control L command, after which I can
paste a web site address into the edit box, and hit enter. I'm then able to
open The web site from that point.

However, I'm finding that the control L command no longer works with
Firefox 40.

Has anyone noticed this change, and are there good work-arounds?

I have gotten to the point where I actually prefer Firefox to Internet
Explorer for accessing and navigating web sites, so this apparent change in
Firefox behavior is somewhat disconcerting.

I'm using Jaws 16 and Windows 7 here.

Thank you.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

Gennie Eachus <geachus@...>

That doesn't work either. It works one time, but if you want to change sites
by typing alt-d again, it won't take the new address. Also, I keep getting
crash reports with Firefox.