JAWS and Punctuation

Pat Seed

Hi Everyone,
Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Soronel Haetir

I am not aware of any way to change the punctuation level without
changing profiles. I usually have punctuation turned off but do have a
profile with punctuation enabled that I can switch to with
jaws+ctrl+s, unfortunately I also don't know an easy way to select a
profile that is not saved as the default (either jaws-wide or just for
the current application).

On 8/29/15, patatips via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Adrian Spratt

Although this method involves a menu, it isn't onerous. Press JAWS key+v to open the quick settings dialog. Then press p until JAWS verbalizes "punctuation." On my system, it takes three presses of p once you arrow past the edit field. Or you can type p in the edit field and three options appear, the second of which is "punctuation." Press the spacebar to cycle through the punctuation level choices, leave the one you want, tab to Okay and press enter.

I don't know if a hotkey can be created for this operation.

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

majno <alfred.hl@...>

yes, i have a hot key created, so is posibble.

El 30/08/2015 a las 6:56, Adrian Spratt via Jfw escribió:
Although this method involves a menu, it isn't onerous. Press JAWS key+v to open the quick settings dialog. Then press p until JAWS verbalizes "punctuation." On my system, it takes three presses of p once you arrow past the edit field. Or you can type p in the edit field and three options appear, the second of which is "punctuation." Press the spacebar to cycle through the punctuation level choices, leave the one you want, tab to Okay and press enter.

I don't know if a hotkey can be created for this operation.

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Dave...

Um, well...can you share that with the list?

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Pat Seed

Hi Adrian,
Thanks Ever So Much! That is Absolutely Perfect! I guess I am kind of a hot key junky, so memorizing those key presses is not difficult at all. As with many items that you tab to (okay), I can just press the enter key and my choice is kept. Thanks again.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Although this method involves a menu, it isn't onerous. Press JAWS key+v to open the quick settings dialog. Then press p until JAWS verbalizes "punctuation." On my system, it takes three presses of p once you arrow past the edit field. Or you can type p in the edit field and three options appear, the second of which is "punctuation." Press the spacebar to cycle through the punctuation level choices, leave the one you want, tab to Okay and press enter.

I don't know if a hotkey can be created for this operation.

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Adrian Spratt

I'm pleased. And yes, enter should work in lieu of tabbing to OK - I just hadn't tested it to confirm. Meanwhile, I hope the lister who claimed to have created a hotkey will post instructions.

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Pat Seed

Hi Adrian and All,
Well, on further working with it, you do need to tab to a close button. My JAWS 11 does not have a (okay) button in that tab.

By the way, I should qualify something regarding. It is great to know the sequences of what keys to press. However, I do, and people should, know how to work with menus. It really helps to know tab and arrow keys and how to look around. It is much less frustrating if ones knows both methods.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

I'm pleased. And yes, enter should work in lieu of tabbing to OK - I just hadn't tested it to confirm. Meanwhile, I hope the lister who claimed to have created a hotkey will post instructions.

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Adrian & List Members,

Steps for, Assigning A Keystroke To Adjust Punctuation On The Fly

1. Press, Insert + F2, to open the Jaws Manager.
2. Goto Keyboard Manager and press enter.
3. Navigate to Default, & then tab 1 time to get into the list of
options.
4. In the Default keyboard manager list navigate to Set Punctuation Level
If it says none. That means there has not been a keystroke assigned.
5. Press the Alt key to open the menues, & right arrow to Action. Then down
arrow to Add Keystroke, & press enter. Or press control + A which is the
shortcut for asigning a keystroke.
6. Insert a keystroke combination like control + dash for example. If the
combination is already being used for another command jaws will tell you.
Doing this in the Default Keyboard Manager, allows this keystroke to be used
in all aplications.
7. Tab to the Okay button, press the spacebar, then a dialogue will open
asking
if you are sure you want to modify the default JKM. Press the spacebar on
the Yes option.

Now, every time you press the control + dash keystroke it changes the
punctuation level. So press the control + dash keystroke until you hear
the punctuation level you want.

If you ever want to change or remove the keystroke, simply repeat the above
steps.

Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

That is a keeper, Mike, thanks.I have a box called Keepers just for
information like this.

Best from,

Carolyn

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Mario

Mike, you beat me to it, but I was gonna write:

make sure the key combination you want to use for toggling through the levels of punctuation is not used for anything else.
you can do this by pressing this combination before starting these steps.
if JAWS just announces the keys and nothing happens, it's ok to proceed.

select and copy the following with a control+c into the windows clipboard:

Script TogglePunctuation ()
Say (PunctuationToggle (false), ot_no_disable)
EndScript

press insert+0 to start the script manager.
press control+shift+d to load the default script file.
press the control+end key to move to the end of the script.
press the enter twice to add blank lines.
press control+v to paste the script block previously copied.
press the left cursor once key to move in to the script.
press control+d to open the properties for the script.
press tab once and make sure the checkbox is checked.
press tab a few times to where a hotkey can be assigned.
press the keys you want to use.
press the tab key to and activate the OK button.
finally, press control+s to save and compile your addition to the default script.
hopefully , the entire script will recompile just fine.
it's alot to follow but it's the way I know to ensure it works.

On 8/30/2015 2:09 PM, Mike B. via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

Holy crap bro!
That was amazing! I just did it and it worked.

Now, is there a list that will tell me what punctuation will be spoken for
the different levels?
Thanks again, checks in the mail.

Kimsan Song
kimsansong@gmail.com

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Yo Bro,

Different levels, I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Different
levels of what? I know you don't mean the levels of how fast your check
will bounce! LOL, hahaha hahaha hahaha, LOL
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Kimsan <kimsansong@...>

The most, some, all and none. We all know what none will do along with all,
but what about most and some.

Kimsan Song
kimsansong@gmail.com

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Dave...

Kimsan,

Create a test paragraph, using many of your more common punctuations. Then
read it using the different settings.
Use all of those punctuations above the number row key, as well.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

kimsansong@...

I must do all that? Lol
Window eyes tells me which punctuation is spoken before i change the punctuation levels.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 31, 2015, at 7:40 AM, Dave Carlson via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Kimsan,

Create a test paragraph, using many of your more common punctuations. Then
read it using the different settings.
Use all of those punctuations above the number row key, as well.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Now might not be a good time to mention this, and Mike told us how to reverse any changes, but saving an unaltered DEFAULT.JKM in a convenient place never hurts.

Ted

Although this method involves a menu, it isn't onerous. Press JAWS key+v to open the quick settings dialog. Then press p until JAWS verbalizes "punctuation." On my system, it takes three presses of p once you arrow past

the edit field. Or you can type p in the edit field and three options appear, the second of which is "punctuation." Press the spacebar to cycle through the punctuation level choices, leave the one you want, tab to Okay and press enter.

I don't know if a hotkey can be created for this operation.

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

I think the question is what changes do the different levels make? What are the practical differences between all, some, most? Even none lets one or two things slip through--the apostrophe, for example.

Different levels, I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Different levels of what? I know you don't mean the levels of how fast your check will bounce! LOL, hahaha hahaha hahaha, LOL Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Dave...

Kimsan,

Give it a try. Creating a test paragraph is actually a mind-stimulating
activity. As to Window-Eyes, well that is another choice, and you're welcome
to use it, just as Narrator or the other one that starts with "N".

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

Is there any hot key that I can use, while I am reading something, turn
punctuation off and on, without going through any menus. Thanks.
Blessings and All the Very Best,
Pat

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Howdy All,

This is a note on the difference between changing punctuation settings in
Jaws options, Insert + V, & customize punctuation in the default settings
center / configuration manager. They work backwards from one another.

When setting punctuation in Jaws options / quick settings, this controls the
amount of
punctuation JAWS will speak / recognize. The default setting is most. To
hear less
punctuation spoken you would select some or none.

When making changes in the customize punctuation list, this basically tells
Jaws how much of a selected punctuation mark to ignore. If you do not want
Jaws to speak/recognize a particular punctuation mark you want to choose the
" all " selection. You will have 4 radio buttons to arrow up or down
through. They are none, some, most, & all. In these selections they work
backwards than what you would think. For example; If you choose " none "
for the dollar sign, Jaws will speak / recognize every dollar sign in
whatever you are reading. On the other hand, if you choose the " all "
radio button, Jaws will not speak / recognize any dollar signs.

Hope this helps some of you understand the differences between the 2
punctuation setting options.