How to get location from "File Save" dialog

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Hi all.

Is there a quick way to get JAWS to read the location (i.e., library name or
filesystem path) while in a "File Save" dialog?

Some apps use the "Documents" library as the default. Other apps have their
own location as the default. If you change the location when you save a
file, this is "sticky" for some apps, and for other apps it is not sticky.
Even if it is sticky, if it's been a while since I saved a file in the app,
I may have forgotten where I last saved the file. So the bottom line is:
Just about any time I save a file, I'd like to quickly find out where the
"File Save" dialog is set to save the file, before I click the save button.

It'd be nice if I could just hit JAWSKEY + T, but unfortunately, the current
location path is not displayed in the title bar of the "File Save" dialog,
so this doesn't work.

The "File Save" dialog typically opens with focus in the file name field.
The only way I know to obtain the location is to SHIFT + TAB about a half
dozen times until I get to the confusingly titles "toolbar desktop split
button", press spacebar, then hit JAWSKEY + UP ARROW to read the current
line. Note that the number of times I have to hit SHIFT + TAB to get to the
"toolbar desktop split button" is variable, as the number of controls varies
depending on the currently set location. So this method is time consuming
and rather a PITA.

Making matters worse, many applications use custom versions of the "File
Save" dialog. Each new version of MS Office, for example, has a completely
different "File Save" dialog. Other older apps, such as FS OpenBook, have an
old Windows 98 style of "File Save". Just as an example. How I get JAWS to
read the current location varies depending on the style of "File Save"
dialog the application is using.

This is really a problem that is screaming for a built-in JAWS solution that
would be universal across all applications and styles of "File Save"
dialogs.

Any ideas?

As a final note, I train blind and visually impaired people on using the
computer with JAWS, and one of the most frequent problems people encounter
is that they don't know where they are saving their documents and
subsequently are unable to locate them.
-Paul

Soronel Haetir

It's not super easy but still fairly easy, if you tab through the
dialog controls, just after Cancel in the default dialog there is a
"Desktop" split button, from there each time you hit right arrow jaws
will read a single path component.

I'm pretty sure the save as dialog has been like that since at least Vista.

Also, you can right click on that desktop button and there is an "Edit
address" choice, that allows you to hear the entire path at one go.

On 8/27/15, Paul Martz via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Soronel. Is it necessary to click the "Desktop" Split button, or do you just right arrow when reaching the "Desktop" Split button?

Thank you.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12162 (20150827) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12162 (20150827) __________

http://www.eset.com

HAMILTON

Paul:

Not knowing where files get stored is a function of MicroSoft's "desire" to
make decisions for you, so that you don't have to "worry yourself" - I
suppose! You will, I hope, forgive a little sarcasm regarding MicroSoft's
intentions.

Anyway, in order to avoid this dilemna, I make a point to "NOT" use the
default "save" settings. I do shift-tab my way back to where I can select
the appropriate folder, on the main ROOT - but, not back to the "toolbar
desktop split", in which to save files. That way, I know where everything
is, or at least, how to find what I want. Unfortunately, we "CANNOT" delete
"my documents", and the like. Windows won't allow it! It knows how much
you want to depend on such services that they so willingly offer to its
customers!

By the way, I do not even like to use Outlook's Calendar. I set up my own
calendar, with a Word file for each week of the year. It's amazing how good
you can get at predicting what day of the week on which a specific date next
year will fall. :) :)

Hope this helps. And again, please forgive me for letting my feelings come
out; but, MicroSoft is such a large target!

Jim H

[...]

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

I did that calendar thing for several years. Our pastor says, "if you want
to know what day something is going to happen, just ask 'Ms. Carolyn.'"
Frankly, I have welcomed this calendar with open arms.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Steve Griffiths

Once you're in the Save As dialogue, you can press Alt-D to move focus to the location area and read it. You should then be able to press Alt-N to move back to the file name area, but that doesn't work for me in Word 2013. What I do is press Alt-T to go to the Save as type control, then Shift-Tab once to the filename area.

Steve
---
Steve Griffiths
Senior Assistive Technology Assistant
Working from home in Lancaster
E: steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk

[...]

Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Website: www.guidedogs.org.uk
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

Steve: THANK YOU! Excellent post and very helpful.

I see the same behavior that you describe, while playing with this in Word
2010. ALT+N takes you to the file name field, except when focus is in the
address bar. In addition to your work around, I can TAB out of the address
box then ALT+N and that works fine. Weird.

Anyhow, again, thanks, this is very useful.
-Paul