jaws shutting down

judith bron

I know this topic was covered but I didn't pay much attention to it. When I
leave my computer for awhile, can't say how long, it totally shuts down. No
Jaws, it doesn't respond to commands like alt/tab or alt f4. I shut it down
completely from the start button and then reboot from same. I have windows
7 and jaws 16. For fifteen years I've been working with Jaws. I've left
the computer millions of times and had no problem. Does anyone know what's
going on and how to remedy the situation? Thanks, Judith

Maria Campbell

Might your pc be going into hybernation or sleep mode? When I put mine into hybernation, laptop shuts down, but I can get it back by pressing power button then press enter for my log-in.

On 8/21/2015 11:22 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I know this topic was covered but I didn't pay much attention to it. When I
leave my computer for awhile, can't say how long, it totally shuts down. No
Jaws, it doesn't respond to commands like alt/tab or alt f4. I shut it down
completely from the start button and then reboot from same. I have windows
7 and jaws 16. For fifteen years I've been working with Jaws. I've left
the computer millions of times and had no problem. Does anyone know what's
going on and how to remedy the situation? Thanks, Judith

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

Dave...

Laptop? Look at your power settings.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer

I know this topic was covered but I didn't pay much attention to it. When I
leave my computer for awhile, can't say how long, it totally shuts down. No
Jaws, it doesn't respond to commands like alt/tab or alt f4. I shut it down
completely from the start button and then reboot from same. I have windows
7 and jaws 16. For fifteen years I've been working with Jaws. I've left
the computer millions of times and had no problem. Does anyone know what's
going on and how to remedy the situation? Thanks, Judith

judith bron

aI'm working on a desktop. Would power enter be the same?

Might your pc be going into hybernation or sleep mode? When I put mine into
hybernation, laptop shuts down, but I can get it back by pressing power
button then press enter for my log-in.

On 8/21/2015 11:22 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I know this topic was covered but I didn't pay much attention to it.
When I leave my computer for awhile, can't say how long, it totally
shuts down. No Jaws, it doesn't respond to commands like alt/tab or
alt f4. I shut it down completely from the start button and then
reboot from same. I have windows
7 and jaws 16. For fifteen years I've been working with Jaws. I've
left the computer millions of times and had no problem. Does anyone
know what's going on and how to remedy the situation? Thanks, Judith

scrubbed...

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

Dave...

Yes, you can set a desktop to shut down, as well. Look at your power
[...]

After I press the power button and hear the laptop powering up again, in a bit I hear something like maria's log-in, which is when I press the enter key. JAWS and all else is well again after that.

On 8/21/2015 12:03 PM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
[...]

I hear the machine powering up but Jaws doesn't say anything. I guess it's
the difference between a lap top and desktop.

Might your pc be going into hybernation or sleep mode? When I put
mine into hybernation, laptop shuts down, but I can get it back by
pressing power button then press enter for my log-in.

On 8/21/2015 11:22 AM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
I know this topic was covered but I didn't pay much attention to it.
When I leave my computer for awhile, can't say how long, it totally
shuts down. No Jaws, it doesn't respond to commands like alt/tab or
alt f4. I shut it down completely from the start button and then
reboot from same. I have windows
7 and jaws 16. For fifteen years I've been working with Jaws. I've
left the computer millions of times and had no problem. Does anyone
know what's going on and how to remedy the situation? Thanks, Judith

scrubbed...
/
20150821/86d06f1d/attachment.html>

Sunny Day
Maria Campbell
lucky1@ct.metrocast.net

Maria Campbell

Just try pressing enter after a bit after powering up.

On 8/21/2015 12:50 PM, j Bron via Jfw wrote:
[...]

I never looked at power settings. Don't even know where to find them.

[...]

J -- Do you have JAWS set to start at the logon screen, and after logon?

[...]

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi J,

Open your control panel, press enter on Power Options, & tab to the various
options to make adjustments where necessary.
Take care.
Mike
This email was sent from my, iBarstool. Go Dodgers!

[...]

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Is this a recent change? Power management is usually something you have to change yourself, although I guess an automatic change is not absolutely out of the question.

[...]

In the past few weeks. Before that I would leave the computer for something
else and go back to a fully operational system. Now this.

[...]

OK, here comes the question from the nursery school. How do I access the
control panel?

[...]

Jaws comes on after the machine is rebooted.

[...]

1. Press the Windows key, in the search field type, control panel.
2. Arrow down to, Control Panel, & press enter. This should put you in the
control panel.
3. Press the letter, P, until you land on, Power Options, & press enter.
4. Tab through the various options, & press enter on the 1 you want.
[...]

larelishumate@...

Hi Jay, if your settings are set so that just does when the computer starts it's not going to happen. You need to go into the start was there of jazz which is in the options and basics and then the start up wizard. There should be a checkbox that says start when the computer starts or when you log onto windows. If you have a multiple users. There is a setting that says start when this user logs onto the computer you can make the other users not have this option. Hope this helps, Laura

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 21, 2015, at 2:25 PM, j Bron via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Mario

Judith, I recently had this happen to me, and it is not a problem with JAWS. I suspect your computer is set to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity and you're required to login as a user or admin with a password before JAWS will speak. these are controlled in the power options in the control panel.
hth