How to Get an "Applications Key" on a Lenovo Laptop?

Richard B. McDonald

Hi!

My Lenovo L440 laptop has no "Applications Key" as is found on a standard
keyboard. The Applications Key functions like a right mouse click. So, how
does someone do this without an Applications Key? Or, perhaps better, how
can someone make a key on the Lenovo act like the Applications Key?

Thanks,

Richard

Aleeha Dudley

You can always press shift f10 to accomplish this task.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 20, 2015, at 9:33 AM, Richard B. McDonald via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi!

My Lenovo L440 laptop has no "Applications Key" as is found on a standard
keyboard. The Applications Key functions like a right mouse click. So, how
does someone do this without an Applications Key? Or, perhaps better, how
can someone make a key on the Lenovo act like the Applications Key?

Thanks,

Richard

Ann Byrne

Often the right click and applications menus are the same. Not always, but often.
eAt 08:33 AM 8/20/2015, you wrote:

Hi!

My Lenovo L440 laptop has no "Applications Key" as is found on a standard
keyboard. The Applications Key functions like a right mouse click. So, how
does someone do this without an Applications Key? Or, perhaps better, how
can someone make a key on the Lenovo act like the Applications Key?

Thanks,

Richard

northstar1950@...

try using shift plus f10, that should work.

Legend has it that on Thursday 8/20/2015 08:33 AM, Richard B. McDonald via Jfw said:
Hi!

My Lenovo L440 laptop has no "Applications Key" as is found on a standard
keyboard. The Applications Key functions like a right mouse click. So, how
does someone do this without an Applications Key? Or, perhaps better, how
can someone make a key on the Lenovo act like the Applications Key?

Thanks,

Richard

<http://www.sendspace.com/folder/i7xwg4>Click here to check out my sendspace offerings!

Soronel Haetir

Right click though is WHEREVER THE mouse happens to be. The
application menu is triggered where the keyboard is focused.

You could of course route the jaws to PC cursor before doing the right
click but that is even more cumbersome than shift+f10.

On 8/20/15, Ann Byrne via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Often the right click and applications menus are the same. Not
always, but often.
eAt 08:33 AM 8/20/2015, you wrote:
Hi!

My Lenovo L440 laptop has no "Applications Key" as is found on a standard
keyboard. The Applications Key functions like a right mouse click. So,
how
does someone do this without an Applications Key? Or, perhaps better, how
can someone make a key on the Lenovo act like the Applications Key?

Thanks,

Richard

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir

Also, if the keyboard has some key you aren't going to use, you can
employ SharpKeys (https://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/) to remap that other
key.

I have done that with my laptop's print screen key, print screen is
simply something I don't need. It's a little annoying having it in
such a different spot than the normal applications key but I find it
less annoying than shift+f10.

--
Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi,

My Lenovo has an applications key, but, it didn't have an insert key, so,
what I did was create a file to edit the registry. What the file did when I
ran it is to remap the print screen key to function as an insert key. I
can't recall exactly what the content of the file needs to be... I Googled
remapping keys and found an article that gave instructions to do what I
wanted to do. It can be a little complicated, so may not be what you are
looking for, but Google it and see what you find.

Cheers,

Russell

[...]

Michael Mote

Use shift f10

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:33 AM, Richard B. McDonald via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi!

My Lenovo L440 laptop has no "Applications Key" as is found on a standard
keyboard. The Applications Key functions like a right mouse click. So, how
does someone do this without an Applications Key? Or, perhaps better, how
can someone make a key on the Lenovo act like the Applications Key?

Thanks,

Richard

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

This depends on which Lenovo model you are using. You can
sometimes swap the insert key and the applications key. Since
insert is the typical insert key, that may not be entirely
desirable; however, with the laptop keyboard, the capslock key
becomes the JAWS key. Depending upon personal preference, this
may be a good way to get both a JAWS key, which you absolutely
need, and an applications key, which is pretty handy.
The insert key, when it is not the JAWS key, is pretty useless.
Though, I would love to replace the print screen key with
something useful. I don't think I've ever found a use for the
print screen key.

[...]

scrubbed...
ments/
20150820/2c69e5af/attachment.html>

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@gmail.com

Soronel Haetir

Even when I could see I had no use for print screen.

On 8/21/15, Ed Marquette via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
[...]

Negoslav Sabev

Hi,

Here is a very easy way to remap the print screen key on Lenovo with JFW.

1. Press insert+8 on the number row from anywhere. JFW keyboard
manager will open.
2. Press ctrl+alt+d to load the default .jkm file. You should hear
that the default file is loaded.
3. Be sure that you are on the default section by pressing insert+ up arrow.
4. tab once to enter the list of script key assignments.
5. Find "SendApplicationKey" by pressing the first few letters.
6. Press alt+h to open the dialog for changing the key assignment.
7. press the print screen key to assign it.
8. Press tab to go to ok and enter to confirm it.
9. Press ctrl+s to save and alt+f4 to close.

HTH
Negoslav

[...]

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

The only use of the print screen key I can think of is capturing screen
shots of web pages.

[...]

I see I am not responding to the latest message here. So, someone
may have pointed this out (and I just missed it), but the below
steps did not seem to work.
First, I had to plug in a regular U S B full keyboard. Otherwise
JawsKey plus 8 on the home row simulates a left mouse click.
Perhaps I didn't have to do the keyboard, but I had one handy. I
think JawsKey plus 8 just brings up Keyboard manager.
Second, Alt plus H, on my system, brought up help topics, not a
key assignment menu.
Third, I think the command is control plus a, not Alt plus H, but
I couldn't get that to work either.
I'm going to try to check out keyboard manager in JAWS Help. I've
not messed with that very much.
Happy computing.

[...]

Well, the keystroke to change the key assignment is not control
plus a. It is control plus h.
The above is true in theory; however, as I try to use it, whether
by keypress or from the menu, I find it is "unavailable."

[...]

Gennie Eachus <eachusgm@...>

Shift-10 and right mouse click will do the same thing as the application key
most of the time.

[...]

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

Hi, Ed. He did not say Control A as in Apple. He said Control plus 8 as in the number eight on the numbers row.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12134 (20150822) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 12134 (20150822) __________

http://www.eset.com

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

What I meant to say, Ed is that he did not say Insert plus A as in Apple. He said Insert plus 8 as in the number eight on the number row.