data graphing ideas?

Robert Logue

Idea: I don't know enough to do this but would like to have some kind of universal table data chart graphing trending display. Idealy tactile but also how to make accessible in computers via audio.
Perhaps if I bought MS Office but which one? Don't like ribbons at all.
I want to find out if this is a good or bad time to buy silver.
I look at the graphs on some web pages but they are not often in accessible table format with clear headings. In fact. I haven't found one.
I suppose this can be done in XL but have never learned it and I don't have it. I also have no web building skills.

Bob

Robert Logue

More to my point. Are there financial market analysis tools a blind person can learn to use? I haven't done math in years and don't know anything about the market. I haven't bothered to learn as it seems most of the tools are quite visual. Plus it is hard for me to keep numbers in my head.

It occurs to me that a refreshable braille display would be very helpful. However, I don't have one as I've not really need. That would be a large investment for this project.

What I need to know is if there are accessible tools I can use right now with Jaws.

Thanks.

Bob

On 8/17/2015 10:16 AM, Robert Logue via Jfw wrote:
Idea: I don't know enough to do this but would like to have some kind of universal table data chart graphing trending display. Idealy tactile but also how to make accessible in computers via audio.
Perhaps if I bought MS Office but which one? Don't like ribbons at all.
I want to find out if this is a good or bad time to buy silver.
I look at the graphs on some web pages but they are not often in accessible table format with clear headings. In fact. I haven't found one.
I suppose this can be done in XL but have never learned it and I don't have it. I also have no web building skills.

Bob

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

If you use JAWS, in Research, you can press Insert Spacebar, and s after the
click. You can get stock quotes on that. You can download and shortcut to
Desktop Dow Jones and S&P, probably others. Dow is easier to navigate than
S&P to me.

Best from,

Carolyn

[...]

Paul Martz <skewmatrix@...>

I'll start by saying I don't know of any off-the-shelf graphing solutions
for visually impaired users. So everything that follows is sort of "what if"
hypothetical stuff, just thinking out loud.

Presenting data to blind and visually impaired users seems like a mostly
uninvestigated area, wide open for new research. There is an annual academic
conference called IEEE Vis: http://ieeevis.org/. Historically, their focus
is to present new research in different ways to visualize data. As far as I
know, they have never bitten off the challenge of presenting data in
non-visual ways. But if you have any pull in the academic community, perhaps
you could get some grad students to research ways to display data
non-visually, with the end-goal of getting their research published through
this conference.

Just thinking off the top of my head, I could imagine a bar chart with items
left-to-right (along the x axis) and values along the y axis. We could use
JAWS to read the value for each item, but instead of just reading numbers,
modulate the JAWS speech pitch in accordance with the value: larger values
would be read with a higher pitch, smaller values with a lower pitch. So,
instead of just hearing a bunch of numbers, you'd hear pitch changes with
each number that would allow the user to immediately place the value
relative to other values. The pitch changes would give you a "picture" of
the values relative to each other.

I'm sure that's a pretty naive approach, but as far as I know, no one has
tried it yet. It might be an interesting challenge for the JAWS scripting
language.
-Paul

Mario

I think you're on the right track.
the Orion TI-84 Plus Talking Graphing Calculator employs:
• Graph functions and trace points made accessible with speech and audible tone.
• Listen to entire graph, including special sounds for negative regions and axis crossing points.

if you want to check it out for more ideas:
https://shop.aph.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_Orion%20TI-84%20Plus%20Talking%20Graphing%20Calculator_1-07340-00P_10001_11051

since you're an experienced programmer, you're more enabled to "make it so". but remember, newbie wanna be scriptwriters need to start from the bottom of the barrel... have you ever considered to join the JAWS scripting ml? not to shew you away from this ml, but you can pose more technical questions about scripting snafoos to get assistance from other experienced sdcripters.

On 8/20/2015 11:44 AM, Paul Martz via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Richard B. McDonald

Unless I am mistaken, I think somewhere I read that JAWS has a feature that
will describe a graph in Excel. I cannot remember where I read that, but I
suspect it was in the "help" areas for JAWS in Excel. Has anyone else ever
run across this?

[...]

Dave...

Yes it does exist.

Dave Carlson
Sent from my iPhone using the handwriting feature.

On Aug 26, 2015, at 06:39, Richard B. McDonald via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

[...]

Monique Lalonde

Hi All,

If JAWS can read graph information in Excel, does anyone know how accessible it would be to create a graph in Excel and copy it into a Word document? I may need to do this for an Economics class.
Thanks.

[...]

Privacy Disclaimer - Français à suivre
This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately.
Déclaration de confidentialité
Le présent courrier électronique (y compris les pièces qui y sont annexées, le cas échéant) s'adresse au destinataire indiqué et peut contenir des renseignements de caractère privé ou confidentiel. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce document, nous vous signalons qu'il est strictement interdit de le diffuser, de le distribuer ou de le reproduire. Si ce message vous a été transmis par erreur, veuillez en informer l'expéditeur et le supprimer immédiatement.

Marianne Denning

I asked my technology trainer who does this all of the time. Her name
is Dr. Denise Robinson and here are some videos that show that it can
be done. She may have some lessons you can buy that walks you through
the steps.

[...]

Bring your family and friends to CNIB Night Steps, a 5km fundraising
walk under the stars. Funds raised will help CNIB provide
life-changing support to community members who are blind or partially
sighted. Register at cnibnightsteps.ca!

[...]

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

--
*Dr Denise*

Denise M. Robinson, TVI, Ph.D.
CEO, TechVision, LLC
Specialist in Technology/Training/Teaching for blind/low vision/virtual
instruction for schools
Also Private training to your needs
423-573-6413

Website with hundreds of informational articles & lessons on PC, Office
products, Mac, iPad/iTools and more, all done with
keystrokes: www.yourtechvision.com

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053

Robert Logue

Thanks Mario, for pointing out the graphing calculator. Also, I know I should just start reading more about scripting Jaws and join those forums.

Thing is. I don't see much for personal finance for the blind in any platform. A few apps and programs but nothing I could even get a grip on or that worked reliably for me. It's like the information presented is not formatted in a way I can picture or make sense of.

I'm 62 years old and just a bit slower than I used to be.

Bob

On 8/25/2015 8:43 AM, Mario via Jfw wrote:
[...]

Thanks Marianne. I'm glad to hear there are actually tools that work. I'm checking out Dr. Robinson's videos now.

Bob.