Solved, sorta: Mozilla Firefox Add-ons with JAWS?

Brad Martin

I added another add-on to Firefox called Classic Theme Restorer, which gave the toolbars an option to show text labels instead of icons. This did solve the problem of not being able to find the Add-On I had first installed. I did have to use the instructions previously provided on this list to allow the virtual cursor to work, but that was no problem. So now I can find the icon on the "toolbar", but when I click it, JAWS just kind of shuts up. So although I got access to the add-on icon, the add-on itself is not accessible, and it seems to be that way for many of the add-ons including the ones that came with Firefox. I clicked on something called "Hello", and then couldn't do anything with that either. Now Classic Theme Restorer I could read.

In short, install whatever add-ons you want, but it's anybody's guess whether you'll be able to do anything with them. That's what I learned today.

Brad

On 8/16/2015 12:17 PM, Brad Martin via Jfw wrote:
Thanks, Bill. I did that (and just did it again following your instructions), and it does let me choose whether to autoupdate the add-on or not, and it gives me buttons to disable or remove the add-on. But there's a whole interface I'm supposed to be able to manipulate that I can't get to. I think if I can get someone sighted to click on the add-on icon on the toolbar, I can move it to the menu bar, and then I might be able to access it. There's apparently a little stopsign looking icon that sighted people can get to, so when somebody's here I'll try that. You apparently can't do it with JAWS because the toolbar is a row of icons with no labels that I never knew existed (virtual cursor can't even find it).

Thanks anyway. This was fun.

Brad

On 8/16/2015 11:56 AM, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Brad. I use Firefox with JAWS13. I only have one AddOn which has options. This is Navigational Sounds. Here is what I do to reach the options for Navigational Sounds within Firefox.

1. Start Firefox.
2. Press the ALT key and Right Arrow over to Tools.
3. Down Arrow to AddOns, and press Enter.
4. Turn off the Virtual Cursor by pressing Jawskey plus the letter Z.
5. Tab once to reach a listbox containing the following menu items:
A. Get AddOns
B. Extensions
c. Appearance
d. PlugIns
e. Services
6. The AddOn for which you want to configure the options will probably be found in either:
B. Extensions
or
e. Services
7. Arrow up or down through the various AddOns found in these lists.
8. Once you find The right AddOn in the list, Make sure the Virtual Cursor is still off.
9. Arrow up and down a couple of times to make sure the AddOn is selected.
10. Press Enter on the appropriate AddOn.
11. You will know if the press of the Enter key takes effect or not, because when it does, JAWS will say, "Read Only".
12. Tab several times, and you may see links to the person who created the AddOn.
13. Finally you may see an Options Button. Use Space Bar to press this button.
14. As you use the Tab key, there will be a list of options to configure.
15. Once you have configured the AddOn's options (usually with check boxes, but also can be with Combo Boxes), Press CONTROL plus W to close the AddOns Manager Window.
16. The AddOn should now be properly configured.
Bill White billwhite92701@dslextreme.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Martin via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>